• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Sales Continue to Boom - And It's Not Why You Think - Or So We're Told

since9

Campaign Veteran
Article.

Key points:

1. I've been reading The Motley Fool for 20+ years. They're almost always well-researched studies, not opinionated journalist pieces. Good stuff. However, read this article with a bit of skepticism.

2. "A recent National Shooting Sports Foundation's (NSSF) research report shows there is a huge influx of people coming into shooting for sport. The number of individuals participating in target shooting surged to 49.4 million people in 2016, a 44% increase from the 34.4 million that participated back in 2009."

3. "Whereas the law enforcement agency had run more than 10 million checks through its National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) in 2006, that number had exploded to over 27.5 million investigations a decade later."

4. I'm not sure if I agree with the author's reasoning: "Along the way, tragic or chilling events would lead to a spike in sales, whether for fear of greater gun control measures being introduced, such as after the Sandy Hook shooting, or for a desire for greater personal protection, such as after the San Bernardino shooting. Yet despite these isolated attacks, the trend has always been one of greater growth -- more than can be explained away just by these occurrences."

I think continuing increases in gun sales can be explained by these "isolated" attacks, for the simple reason that while they're isolated, they're increasing in frequency. The article also noted that the number of households without guns remains just below 50%, a figure that hasn't changed. Finally, saying that they're for "sporting purposes" is a bit of a misnomer. While there may be a shift from "hunting" to "sporting," just was is "sporting," anyway? Has IDPA skyrocketed anywhere near as much as gun sales? I don't think so. I think most "sporting purposes" shooting has involved heading to an indoor or outdoor range and either randomly plinking away at human silhouettes, or running through various law enforcement and military qualifications tests.

My conclusion is that it is precisely the sorts of mass shooting and terrorist incidents that are driving gun sales through the roof.

What do you think?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are many roads to Nirvana.

I prefer good people with guns for whatever reason than I do bad guys.

CJ4wd

Grapeshot - +100 !!
Since9 - what you say in the paragraph after #4 may be close to the truth. More people have become concerned for their own safety and have seen how their local police have been hamstrung by manpower shortages OR by "outside politics" interfering with their effectiveness. With those concerns, those people are stepping up to do more to protect themselves.
I say - more power to them!

REPR

I think you are correct when you say that more people are buying guns because of shootings, terrorist, civil unrest, ect. However, I think the continued boom of gun sales is being caused by those people that would never have bought guns actually using them and finding out they really enjoy it. Those people will get their friend who would never have touched a gun and are now becoming interested as well. I've seen it first hand. I think the majority of new gun owners are women as well. Plus it's kind of becoming a fad with all the beards and tacticool youtube channels and so forth. Either way keep it up.

Firearms Iinstuctor

ever watch "Red Dawn", it's coming

I liked the first one better then the 2nd one there is an Australian version out there I don't remember the name. But it starts with the kids camping in the out back when the war starts.

When they come back they take up arms against the invaders.

I'll try and find the title.

Last edited:

FreedomVA

I liked the first one better then the 2nd one there is an Australian version out there I don't remember the name. But it starts with the kids camping in the out back when the war starts.

When they come back they take up arms against the invaders.

I'll try and find the title.

yup, the first one........ WOLVERINES!!!!!