• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Judge Fails To Understand What Makes GOOD LAW

since9

Campaign Veteran
Florida judge fails to understand how laws are made. He claims Florida's Stand Your Ground Law "should have been crafted by the Florida Supreme Court in the first place."

Dear Florida Judge: Laws are NOT made by judges. They're made by legislators, elected by We the People.

"Florida Gov. Rick Scott signed the amended legislation, backed by the National Rifle Association, into effect in June. Prosecutors were vehemently against the updated law because they believed it made it easier for defendants to get away from murder. Prosecutors also had to provide "clear and convincing" evidence that a defendant was not using the force as an act of self-defense."

Well, gee, Florida prosecutors! This is NOT about "winning cases." Your job should NOT be easy. It should be DIFFICULT to make a case for the sole reason that it's better to let nine guilty people walk than to put one innocent man in prison.

This is about administering justice, where the burden of proof absolutely MUST be on the state to make a case.

In Colorado country, we would never have seen the circus that ensued after Zimmerman shot Martin in response to Martin repeatedly slamming Zimmerman's head against a concrete sidewalk (assault and battery). The Sanford police department absolutely did the RIGHT thing when they decided it was self-defense and refused to press charges. That's precisely what would have happened here in Colorado.

Instead...

"On March 12, 2012, Police Chief Lee turned the investigation over to the State Attorney's office for review. Lee said there was not enough evidence to arrest Zimmerman. "In this case Mr. Zimmerman has made the statement of self-defense," Lee said. "Until we can establish probable cause to dispute that, we don't have the grounds to arrest him." "

EXACTLY. Nor should Zimmerman ever have been charged, as the facts obtained at the scene of the crime NEVER supported any sort of probable cause for murder.

"Legal analysts criticized the prosecution for over-charging Zimmerman, claiming that the probable cause affidavit did not support a charge of second-degree murder. Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz claimed the affidavit may have been perjurious if Special Prosecutor Angela Corey knowingly omitted facts favorable to Zimmerman's self-defense claim."

The amended legislation, backed by the National Rifle Association, is GOOD LAW. LEAVE IT ALONE, Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Milton Hirsch. No, you are NOT "doing your job." You are legislating from the bench, and that is most certainly NOT your job. Talk about overstepping your authority... Sheesh!

countryclubjoe

The petty tyrant judge seems to consider the judges the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions.. A very dangerous doctrine indeed, and, one which would place us under the despotism of an "oligarchy"..

Said Judge should be removed and disbarred. " no state legislator or executives or judicial officer can war against the Constitution, without violating his/her solemn oath to support said Constitution".

My .02
Regards
CCJ

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Florida's 'stand your ground' law ruled unconstitutional by judge

A better title would have been a lot better if you had cut and pasted "Florida's 'stand your ground' law ruled unconstitutional by judge." Your title really gave me no reason to read your post. I only know about your posting because someone brought it to my attention.

It would help if titles of postings referred to the subject matter. Just saying.

since9

Campaign Veteran
A better title would have been a lot better if you had cut and pasted "Florida's 'stand your ground' law ruled unconstitutional by judge." Your title really gave me no reason to read your post. I only know about your posting because someone brought it to my attention.

It would help if titles of postings referred to the subject matter.

That's why I changed the title, CoL. I didn't want to use "Florida's 'stand your ground' law ruled unconstitutional by judge," because that's the title of the news article.

My take on what's going on is that the judge doesn't understand what makes good law, so I made that the title.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
That's why I changed the title, CoL. I didn't want to use "Florida's 'stand your ground' law ruled unconstitutional by judge," because that's the title of the news article.

My take on what's going on is that the judge doesn't understand what makes good law, so I made that the title.
So, the title clearly explained what the article was about.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
True, but it didn't explain what my post was about.

I'm not in charge of titling the article. That's already done.

I am responsible for titling my own posts, and that's what I did.
And in so doing, you got little or no response to your posting.
Whatever the bias of the article is or was you could have addressed it in your posting, but the article's title clearly addressed the subject matter. Your title conveyed nothing but your complaint with a judge. Your complaint with the judge over what, the title didn't say.

Yes you are free to title your posting whatever you wish, but it didn't grab my attention.

Last edited: