• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backpacking and backcountry Camping in the Smokies

dberg595

Hello!

Hoping I can get some good advise! So many searches, phone calls to different Sheriff Offices in NC and even the ATF and NC States Attorneys office but haven't gotten a clear answer to an important question!

Here goes: Im taking my 2 young daughters on our 1st backcountry camping and hiking adventure on August 22nd in the Smokey Mountain National Park! We are very excited for the trip. I have bear spray but will feel alot better in a worst case scenario if I can bring a firearm (I own a sig 10mm that I'd like to bring with us). I have sent away for my Florida concealed weapons permit but it might not arrive by the time of the trip. The Swain Country Sheriff's office has said I can legally open carry in the park, but I am worried that I may have been given incorrect information. I can't risk getting arrested for an illegal firearm and have my children taken into custody for incorrect information or ignorance on my part.

Can anyone help me understand the North Carolina laws better?

Thanks so much for any help given! So looking forward to this trip and want my daughters to fall in love with backpacking and hiking!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is not a NC law issue. National Park land is federal property.

A gun in National Parks is legal, but not in a facility/building where park service employee regularly works - must have signage.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/management/lawsandpolicies.htm

"Congress approved a new law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. That means people can openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute.Feb 22, 2010"
https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/management/upload/Firearms-in-IMRparks2-2010.pdf

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...Here goes: Im taking my 2 young daughters on our 1st backcountry camping and hiking adventure on August 22nd in the Smokey Mountain National Park! ...
Remember that Great Smoky Mountains NP is partially in TN and partially in NC, and I believe that to OC in TN on must have a license/permit.

Also, there is an Indian reservation on some land adjoining the park on the NC side.

dberg595

Thanks

Thanks for the help!

I'm honestly still unsure lol! Im pretty sure I can carry and the plan is to stay on the NC side of the park. Thats where the trail is anyways. I don't expect to need anything more than common sense and I do have bearspray! But I would feel awful if I didn't take every precaution if the worst case scenario did happen!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for the help!

I'm honestly still unsure lol! Im pretty sure I can carry and the plan is to stay on the NC side of the park. Thats where the trail is anyways. I don't expect to need anything more than common sense and I do have bearspray! But I would feel awful if I didn't take every precaution if the worst case scenario did happen!

Bear spray? Oh boy, oh joy.

Some people use that on their food when they run out of hot sauce.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/28oewn/is_pepper_spray_edible/