• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Trial for Convicted Private military Contractor

utbagpiper

Banned
From an AP article posted today SLC's KSL TV station. The US Court of Appeals for DC has overturned the murder conviction of one of the four contractors convicted in the 2007 incident in Baghdad. The court ruled that the one contractor was entitled to have been tried separately from his three co-defendants.

But this is the most interesting part, I think:

The court also ordered new sentences for the three other contractors, .... They were each found guilty of manslaughter and firearms charges carrying mandatory 30-year terms.

The judges determined those sentences violated the constitutional prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment because prosecutors charged them with using military firearms while committing another felony. That statute, typically employed against gang members or bank robbers, had never before been used against overseas security contractors working for the U.S. government.

So, if you are a civilian employed by the US government, and commit a crime with the very firearms necessary to do the job for which you were hired, you may well be charged with "using military firearms while committing another felony."

This maybe should give pause to any peace officer when it comes to committing any crime with any of his department issued firearms that are not available to the general public.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Blackwater isn't Blackwater any more.

The current name is Academi. Not even the same owners - was sold to private investors.

"Academi is an American private military company founded in 1997 by former Navy SEAL officer Erik Prince as Blackwater, renamed as Xe Services in 2009 and now known as Academi since 2011 after the company was acquired by a group of private investors."

"In 2014, Academi became a division of Constellis Holdings along with Triple Canopy and other security companies that were part of the Constellis Group as the result of an acquisition."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academi

countryclubjoe

Interesting, so Government hired assassins do not have qualified immunity but some beat cop in New York does.

My .02
CCJ