• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

this is how it starts

MamaLiberty

I beg to differ.
According to my dictionary, the #1 definition of anarchy is the complete absence of government, which is what you said. However, the #2 definition is "political disorder and violence; lawlessness".
It is that last word you need to remember.

You can choose that, of course. One reason I don't use the word.

But tell me... what is "the law?" The natural law involves only those things which are wrong, evil in and of themselves. Assault, murder, rape, theft, fraud. Political "disorder" doesn't happen in a voluntary society - unless a bunch of criminals attempt to take it over by force or fraud. :) Violence also occurs when some people violate the natural law in ANY society. It's called self defense.

And "government" does not at all need to be involuntary to promote obedience to that natural law. Visit the average grocery store, any private business to see law abiding people going about their business in peace and voluntary association.

Voluntary association is "government" by another name. But tell me how well those who WANT to commit assault, murder, rape, etc. obey "laws" of any sort? And is not the INVOLUNTARY government you espouse guilty of all of them?

I'm not seeing your point. :)

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
MR. and MRS. LAMB

Murder, Rape, Manslaughter, Robbery, Sodomy, Larceny, Arson, Mayhem, Burglary. These are the only common law crimes, true felonies. All other felonies are statutory, man made and are not true felonies.

The Constitution contains all of these common law principles, but it only mentions three criminal offenses.
1. Treason.
It isn't a surprise that treason is defined in the Constitution, as the Founders likely wanted to know how our fledgling nation would deal with enemies within its borders.
Article III Section 3 defines treason as: Levying war against the United States, Adhering to the nation's enemies, or Giving our nation's enemies aid and comfort.
The federal statute defining treason is almost a mirror image of this definition, and it is one of the few crimes for which a defendant may "suffer death."
2. Piracy.
While the Founders weren't prescient enough to anticipate Napster, Congress is empowered under Article I Section 8 of the Constitution to "define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas."
Congress did create a law to punish piracy. So anyone caught robbing American mariners on the high seas in Johnny Depp eyeliner can potentially face life in prison.
3. Counterfeiting.
Article I Section 8 of the Constitution also endows Congress with the ability to punish those who counterfeit "the Securities and current Coin of the United States."
The Secret Service, along with protecting U.S. heads of state, is also charged with protecting the integrity of the nation's currency by investigating and arresting counterfeiters.
Counterfeiting of U.S. currency today is almost always in paper bills, but it is no less illegal.
What About Murder or Robbery?
The Constitution only contains direct references to the three crimes mentioned above, but it leaves the vast array of violent and theft crimes unmentioned.

There are federal laws against murder and robbery of course, and these laws have been justified under the Necessary and Proper Clause of the Constitution, as well as the Commerce Clause. And the courts gets to twist and turn the meanings.