• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dan Hawes - MIA

user

Accomplished Advocate
I had a hard time typing anything in last night, as OCDL was being really buggy - dropping characters, or adding too many, or not responding to keystrokes at all for long periods. Today it seems to be working, so here's the longer explanation beyond "I may be old but I'm not dead.":

I've been having health problems for some time, now, and have been easing out of courtroom appearances because I can no longer reliably promise someone I'm going to be able to show up on any particular day to defend his life, property, and freedom. Which is a real pisser, but it's hard to argue with physical reality. So I'm calling myself a "consulting attorney", now. Any new cases I take on will be only on the understanding that some other attorney will be doing the courtroom stuff - I'm sticking mostly to legal research and writing - sort of a "tag team" approach. I hope to spend more time on educational programs and have a couple of things lined up already, I think.

I have been spending more time looking at Facebook, but that's because I use it as my soapbox to be able to spout off and pontificate about political and religious stuff. And, to tell the truth, I find I've gotten tired of having to answer the same questions over and over and over on OCDO. And everybody who knows me has already heard everything I have to say several times already. If Grapeshot were equipped with several napkins, I'm sure he could give exactly the same lecture that I do.

So I really do appreciate the words of encouragement and support, and as I said, I ain't dead yet, and am still available for consultation and to some extent, referrals.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I had a hard time typing anything in last night, as OCDL was being really buggy - dropping characters, or adding too many, or not responding to keystrokes at all for long periods. Today it seems to be working, so here's the longer explanation beyond "I may be old but I'm not dead.":

I've been having health problems for some time, now, and have been easing out of courtroom appearances because I can no longer reliably promise someone I'm going to be able to show up on any particular day to defend his life, property, and freedom. Which is a real pisser, but it's hard to argue with physical reality. So I'm calling myself a "consulting attorney", now. Any new cases I take on will be only on the understanding that some other attorney will be doing the courtroom stuff - I'm sticking mostly to legal research and writing - sort of a "tag team" approach. I hope to spend more time on educational programs and have a couple of things lined up already, I think.

I have been spending more time looking at Facebook, but that's because I use it as my soapbox to be able to spout off and pontificate about political and religious stuff. And, to tell the truth, I find I've gotten tired of having to answer the same questions over and over and over on OCDO. And everybody who knows me has already heard everything I have to say several times already. If Grapeshot were equipped with several napkins, I'm sure he could give exactly the same lecture that I do.

So I really do appreciate the words of encouragement and support, and as I said, I ain't dead yet, and am still available for consultation and to some extent, referrals.
I have a box of them - none sanitary.

Check your PMs, please.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No tribute, honor, is better than a simple thank you - job well done.

Thank you Dan Hawes for being who and what you are. It is a pleasure knowing you.

countryclubjoe

In reality a " legal brief(s) writer' with help from a paralegal... Been there done that.. :lol:

Best of health Sir.
CCJ

Last edited: