• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dan Hawes - MIA

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Has anyone heard from or seen Dan Hawes lately? -

Dan has been a serious force in our battle to promote and defend our RKBA in Virginia. He is a man of high moral and ethical standards - would be very hard to replace IMHO. Who is in the wings that might step forward when Dan is not able?

I really miss the days of working with Dan, Skidmark, and Peter Nap.

Please offer any and all updates.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Has anyone heard from or seen Dan Hawes lately? -

Dan has been a serious force in our battle to promote and defend our RKBA in Virginia. He is a man of high moral and ethical standards - would be very hard to replace IMHO. Who is in the wings that might step forward when Dan is not able?

I really miss the days of working with Dan, Skidmark, and Peter Nap.

Please offer any and all updates.

I've seen him recently posting on Facebook. He seems well enough, feisty as ever. Perhaps he's seeing less relevance to the cause on OCDO, more banal chatter in the Social threads taking up bandwidth.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Glad to know he is still upright.

We used to see him at our OC dinners frequently, but he traveled more then.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've seen him recently posting on Facebook. He seems well enough, feisty as ever. Perhaps he's seeing less relevance to the cause on OCDO, more banal chatter in the Social threads taking up bandwidth.

Dan seeing less relevance to the cause on OCDO? I sincerely doubt that anyone (even John) has a stronger belief in the right to OC and being prepared to defend ourselves.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Dan seeing less relevance to the cause on OCDO? I sincerely doubt that anyone (even John) has a stronger belief in the right to OC and being prepared to defend ourselves.

Less relevance (specifically) on OCDO, not in the world at large. So much bandwidth is being spent (wasted) on the non-OC issues that it's beginning to be very difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff, especially considering the recent advent of those Social-istas (i.e., those who continually post non-OC-oriented threads in that forum and who post inane comments in just about every other thread, whether relevant or not.

I, too, miss the on-topic comments by Peter and Skid ... and there are seemingly few to take their place.

countryclubjoe

Less relevance (specifically) on OCDO, not in the world at large. So much bandwidth is being spent (wasted) on the non-OC issues that it's beginning to be very difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff, especially considering the recent advent of those Social-istas (i.e., those who continually post non-OC-oriented threads in that forum and who post inane comments in just about every other thread, whether relevant or not.

I, too, miss the on-topic comments by Peter and Skid ... and there are seemingly few to take their place.

" Those that reside in a glass house should not throw rocks". My .02

CCJ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Would someone please let Dan know that he has a PM on OCDO - I don't do Facebook. Could call him, but would prefer to not.

JamesCanby

Activist Member

" Those that reside in a glass house should not throw rocks". My .02

CCJ

CCJ, thank you for providing a perfect example of my current concern over the use of OCDO for non-RTK&BA issues...

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I've seen him regularly on Facebook as well, where he is regularly active. His disappearance from OCDO is not a surprise to me given some recent posts. There is a lot of idle chatter here as well that has little to do with advancing the cause, so that could be its own deterrence.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've seen him regularly on Facebook as well, where he is regularly active. His disappearance from OCDO is not a surprise to me given some recent posts. There is a lot of idle chatter here as well that has little to do with advancing the cause, so that could be its own deterrence.
I think that Dan is enjoying his retirement - one revolution at a time.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
I wonder how many different, long-time contributing and respected members of the forum have to express concerns--via either word or action--about the current content of OCDO before the powers-that-be will at least consider there may be some truth in those concerns. When time of Facebook is preferred to discussions on OCDO....

WalkingWolf

Lawyers are busy, productive ones work from sun up, to sunset. Then go home, and work some more. OCDO has become off topic, has been for some time. It might tend to put posting priorities on the bottom of the wood pile.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I didn't realize that he'd retired. I suppose I need to update my list as far as attorneys to call if I need one to represent me!
My remark was tongue in cheek. Dan is still my go to attorney and a super guy.

countryclubjoe

We all agree on issues concerning the right to keep an bear arms and open carry in general. However, the social lounge produces many different titles and issues and subjects for discussion that we may or may not always agree thereon and yes sometimes there exist some uncivil disagreements. In the state forums and the law library where more serious discussions are expounded, I see mostly civil discourse and a great exchange of useful information that is informing to all of us.

Please be advised the same folks that may bicker and at times name call in the lounge are very respectful and civil in what I call the more serious threads to each other ( state threads/law library) If your issue is with the Social lounge and you are thin-skinned, simply disengage there-from.

We need not cut off our nose, in an effort to spite our face.. In my humble opinion the Social Lounge is the bread and butter of OCDO..

My .02
Regards
CCJ

user

Accomplished Advocate
I thank you all for the kind words. I have not yet followed Peter Nap and Skidmark beyond the transition.

countryclubjoe

CCJ, thank you for providing a perfect example of my current concern over the use of OCDO for non-RTK&BA issues...

Between General Discussion and Social Lounge over 210 thousand post... Can you say, bread and butter of OCDO..

My .02
CCJ