• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield County Fair - GFZ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Chesterfield County Fair opens today thru Sept. 9th.

"Frequently Asked Questions - Chesterfield County Fair
chesterfieldcountyfair.org/frequently-asked-questions/
Adults must have tickets to ride with a child per insurance requirements. See individual ride requirements posted at the ride. Facebook Like Us On Facebook! .... No rain checks. No refunds. [highlight]No weapons, guns, or knives[/highlight] allowed on the premises."

Beware: there is no legal parking close by for vehicles with guns - gotta leave 'em at home. Main parking is L.C. Byrd High School.

Years ago I used to attend OCing - no more. Attendees now are fish in a barrel.

The fair is not operated by the county, but rather by the Chesterfield County Fair Association , a private non-profit venue.

http://www.chesterfieldchamber.com/list/member/chesterfield-county-fair-association-inc-1448

http://chesterfieldcountyfair.org/board-members

FBrinson

No worries for me. The only thing of interest in Chesterfield County are the roads that lead to a different county.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have some questions that have not been answered.

1) To whom are the gate receipts paid? IOW - who gets the money.

2) Who is paying the wages for the Chesterfield LEOs who are providing a service there?

3) Cannot find a copy of the contract between Chesterfield and the venue. Is there one - where is it?

I have long objected to municipalities trying to transfer their responsibilities to a venue and then saying, "It's not us. It's them guys."

2a4all

I have some questions that have not been answered.

1) To whom are the gate receipts paid? IOW - who gets the money.

2) Who is paying the wages for the Chesterfield LEOs who are providing a service there?

3) Cannot find a copy of the contract between Chesterfield and the venue. Is there one - where is it?

I have long objected to municipalities trying to transfer their responsibilities to a venue and then saying, "It's not us. It's them guys."
Why do you think that the County of Chesterfield is involved in this operation (other than renting out some of its LEOs for security)?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
§ 58.1-3621. Farm club associations.

Incorporated associations operated for the purpose of sponsoring and operating a county fair for the display of agricultural products, the display and grading of farm animals and the enjoyment of the general public in Virginia are hereby classified as charitable associations.
§ 58.1-3609. Post-1971 property exempt from taxation by classification.

A. The real and personal property of an organization classified in §§ 58.1-3610 through 58.1-3621 and used by such organization for a religious, charitable, patriotic, historical, benevolent, cultural, or public park and playground purpose as set forth in Article X, Section 6 (a) (6) of the Constitution of Virginia, the particular purpose for which such organization is classified being specifically set forth within each section, shall be exempt from taxation, so long as such organization is operated not for profit and the property so exempt is used in accordance with the purpose for which the organization is classified. The real and personal property of an organization classified in § 58.1-3622 and used by such organization for charitable and benevolent purposes as set forth in Article X, Section 6 (a) (6) of the Constitution of Virginia shall be exempt from taxation so long as the local governing body in which the property is located passes a resolution approving such exemption and the organization satisfies the other requirements in this subsection.

B. Exemptions of property from taxation under this article shall be strictly construed in accordance with Article X, Section 6 (f) of the Constitution of Virginia.
Need to look at the Virginia Constitution.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why do you think that the County of Chesterfield is involved in this operation (other than renting out some of its LEOs for security)?

It is county land - preemption should apply.

Renting LEOs? Or providing them at no charge? Please cite your source.

2a4all

It is county land - preemption should apply.

Renting LEOs? Or providing them at no charge? Please cite your source.

I believe the issue of preemption applying to a locality leasing out its property to a non-government organization for any legitimate purpose has been discussed, and its been established that preemption does not apply as long as the lessee is not conducting business on behalf of the locality. Seems like that in this case.

I don't actually know what the arrangement is for the County providing LEOs for security, but it's pretty common for a locality to be reimbursed for such service. I doubt that they'd do it for free. As for the County Fair organizers, they're going to hire some sort of security. Why not the local LEOs? It's just a cost of doing business.

countryclubjoe

I believe the issue of preemption applying to a locality leasing out its property to a non-government organization for any legitimate purpose has been discussed, and its been established that preemption does not apply as long as the lessee is not conducting business on behalf of the locality. Seems like that in this case.

I don't actually know what the arrangement is for the County providing LEOs for security, but it's pretty common for a locality to be reimbursed for such service. I doubt that they'd do it for free. As for the County Fair organizers, they're going to hire some sort of security. Why not the local LEOs? It's just a cost of doing business.

Good post plus 1 However allow me to disagree in part..

Hired non-leo private security need not adhere to constitutional law-- their loyalties are to their employer.. Hired off duty LEO's are still under the authority of their oath while indeed acting under color of law and authority thereof.. More so, if said LEO's are attired in their LE costumes..

Some 10$ an hour security want to be is not held to the same legal standards as a sworn officer of the court..

My .02
CCJ

countryclubjoe

If indeed a law abiding citizen wishes to attend such an anti- venue either solo or with family..

I ask, what is the issue? Conceal carry and have a grand time.. We live but once...

If you support the constitution and you believe that the constitution supports you.. Again, what is the issue?

Fear and ignorance makes slaves, knowledge and supporting liberty sets us free...

Enjoy the rides, you live but once!

My .02
Regards
CCJ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If indeed a law abiding citizen wishes to attend such an anti- venue either solo or with family..

I ask, what is the issue? Conceal carry and have a grand time.. We live but once...

If you support the constitution and you believe that the constitution supports you.. Again, what is the issue?

Fear and ignorance makes slaves, knowledge and supporting liberty sets us free...

My .02
Regards
CCJ
What is the issue? Really?

Outside of the fact that honoring the law is mandated by Forum Rule #15 and further CC does nothing to promote and defend open carry nor allowing expression of the right to free speech.

"(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts."

Under other circumstances, I might be more willing to buck if on your dime.

FBrinson

My .02
Regards
CCJ

You are starting to sound like DavidMcbeth lately.