• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

interesting discussion on accuracy

solus

quote:
This study aimed to examine the level of shooting accuracy demonstrated by law enforcement recruits upon completion of their law enforcement firearms training in comparison with novice shooters. One hundred and ninety-five male and 52 female law enforcement recruits volunteered. Participants were separated by firearms experience into the following groups: expert (completed law enforcement firearms course, n = 83), intermediate (recreational experience, n = 71) and novice (minimal/no experience, n = 93). All subjects were tested for accuracy at target locations from 3 to 75 ft. For all locations, no difference was found in accuracy between expert and intermediate groups (p > 0.30). Experts and intermediates had better results than novices on all locations (p < 0.05) except from 3 to 15 ft. Alarmingly, experts were only 10% more accurate than novices between 3 and IS ft. Finally, novices and intermediate shooters were more likely to hit head locations from 3 ft (57%), whereas experts mainly hit the body location (78%). The results of this study indicate that officers had no advantage over intermediate shooters and a small advantage over novices. unquote.

http://www.forcescience.org/articles/naiveshooter.pdf

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for the reference. Nice to see someone actually publish data on this.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Below is the definitions of expert, intermediate and novice.

For those who didn't read the article.

Recruits were placed in the expert category if they had
completed formal firearms training through a law enforcement
academy or had formal handgun training or certification
through the military.

The intermediate category
consisted of recruits who had not received police academy
training but did have previous experience in shooting a pistol
or rifle, for example participating in regular hunting seasons
or recreational shooting. The intermediate category
also included recruits with military firearms training, which
mostly addressed carbine, rifle and automatic weapons.

Finally, recruits were placed into the novice category if they
had no experience or minimal familiarity with firearms, such
as only having fired a weapon once or twice in their life

solus

What about the close quarters combat pistol folks? ;)

the article focused on those who have completed 'basic' BLET firearm training not specialized military style tactical training requiring extensive repetitive group practice to assure timing and coordination by team members is honed to function in an exemplary fashion n specific instances.

solus

Since I can hit the broad side of a barn I must be in the expert category.

standing in immediately in front and within 2.5 feet of said barn would so qualify you in that category.

but can you hit said barn w/o your glasses on?:uhoh:

OC for ME

I was trained to engage while engaged...so to speak. Engaging and engaging from retention is not what cops are (or will be) trained to do. They may have to learn on the fly, while engaged, unfortunately, but this skill does come in handy. Accuracy insides five feet is a purely academic discussion (endeavor). A good knife in one hand is worth a few seconds to engage with the other hand.

solus

Go for the challenge and try for the narrow side of the barn.:lol:

oh come on bikenut, with CoL's luck, both barn doors on each end would be open and would miss!

my best advice CoL, don't take the challenge, you'll ruin your tarnished reputation for sure! :shocker:

Last edited: