• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guidance for firearms & ammo submerged in H20

solus

Firearm guidance:

http://www3.nssf.org/share/pdf/SAAM...=grupdate&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=govrel

There are two distinct concerns regarding firearms that have been exposed to water: parts susceptible to moisture and rust damage such as metal parts, wood stocks and grips, and optics; and, secondly, infiltration of the action, barrel, and safety systems by grit, silt, and other foreign debris.

Ammo guidance:

To supply answers to these questions, one should look at the situation from two perspectives: First, ammunition that has been exposed to rain or moisture as could be normally encountered when hunting or shooting; and, secondly, ammunition that has been, for whatever reason, totally submerged for any length of time.

http://www3.nssf.org/share/pdf/SAAM...=grupdate&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=govrel

One thing i did not see in either article concerns the type of 'flood' water your equipment has been submerged in, e.g., when eastern NC residents were subjected to Raleigh's callous and total disregard to those down stream as they released their flood gates, twice, where the coal ash pits flooded downstream, thus contaminating everything. Further, the 'black' mold was prolific within a two week period after the waters receded.

finally, if hearing protection gets submerged...might be time to purchase new due to contamination as well as the black mold.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Rinse/wipe down as best you can...should be good to go until a breakdown and thorough cleaning/lubricating is performed. Did I mention lubrication?

WalkingWolf

Dry said gun, lube said gun, shoot said ammo. I have washed ammo in the wash machine, and it still goes boom, really hard to get water into ammo, except for 22LR. 22lr the bullet is healed, and not really as tight in the case as most centerfire ammol

CDT COX

when eastern NC residents were subjected to Raleigh's callous and total disregard to those down stream as they released their flood gates, twice,

:lol::lol:

cry about it some more

solus

...when NC residents were subjected to Raleigh's callous and total disregard to those down stream as they released their flood gates, twice....

cry about it some more

thanks for showing your empthy towards those NC citizens who before Oct 16 & April 17 devasating flooding, as mentioned caused by Raleigh's callous and total disregard when they released their floodgates, were struggling economically to maintain some semblance of normalacy for their families.

flood image.jpg

2Q==

the flooding resulted in their homes needing to have all contents thrown away, personal property, cloths, walls ripped out and replaced at least 1 foot above flood waters, as well as floor coverings...

1476538806-Photo_Oct_15_9_36_00_AM-646x485.jpg

the government's meager compensation packages barely provided one tenth of the costs to citizens who walked away from their homes, personal property, and neighbourhoods...

and you laugh at their anguish!!!

Last edited:

CJ4wd

This may be a poor question but could water damaged ammo be put in a food dehydrator to draw off the excess moisture after wiping it down on the outside?
Or maybe it could be put in an electric oven with digital controls and set the temperature to 150-180 and leave it for a few hours?

gutshot II

This may be a poor question but could water damaged ammo be put in a food dehydrator to draw off the excess moisture after wiping it down on the outside?
Or maybe it could be put in an electric oven with digital controls and set the temperature to 150-180 and leave it for a few hours?

Just put it in your fireplace, over the fire.

gutshot II

Exactly how much ammo is involved here? Is it such a large amount that disposing of it safely and replacing it would cause a great financial hardship? Anything that you do with it will resulting in you still having ammo that is unreliable and possibly dangerous. Why take that risk? Whatever the loss involved, it will seem insignificant in the aftermath of any accident that might occur. The most pudent course of action is to render the ammo unusable and dispose of it safely. Risk/reward is too high, in my opinion.

Last edited:

solus

CJ, as gutshot pointed out, the return on investment isn't worth the risk to life and limb but another site stated you could pull the bullet, drain powder and use it on you grass as a nitrogen fertilizer or on the gophers in your lawn...

Apparently the powder ' clumps' when moisture gets the powder damp and affects the powder's detonation properties after primer ignition.

Some myths include putting them in the sun, desiccants, and so forth, again, bottom line ~ only you can determine it the time and effort knowing there is no guarantee the ammo will not misfire.

I am not a chemist...:eek::eek:

Firearms Iinstuctor

My brother had good luck in AZ leaving it out in the sun for days but that is a very dry climate.

Then he was very careful when using it listening for any strange reports when shooting he said he had about a 95 percent rate when shooting it.

It was ammo the was wet for weeks.

I think drying it and using it for practice and being careful would be in order.

I had a couple 12ga that spent 3 weeks in the bottom of my duck boat under water when I fired them they worked just fine.

Results well be different for each situation.