• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Campbellsburg Preemption Violation

gutshot II

Campbellsburg is a tiny community(pop. is less than 1000) in northern Henry County. The only reason I had for being there is that there is an exit off I-75 nearby. My wife wanted to go into the bank, so I waited in the car. I noticed that just across the street was the Campbellsburg Community Center. I decided to go across and snoop a little. The place was empty except for one lady who seemed to be in charge and I asked about leasing the place. She gave me a packet of papers, including a "Rental Application". The second piece of paper had "Rules and Guidelines" printed at the top of the page and about halfway down it said, "Firearms and other deadly weapons are prohibited in the Community Center." I didn't say anything about it, but when I got home I wrote an email to the mayor of Campbellsburg. Mayor Noe responded to my email today. Below is a Copy and Paste of the mayor's response.

Dear gutshot II,

Thank you for the email that you sent regarding the City of Campbellsburg and for bringing this issue to my attention. This will be brought to the attention of the City Council to bring our policy into conformity with KRS 65.870 by removing language in conflict therewith.

With kind regards,

Shelley A. Noe
Mayor

City of Campbellsburg
8142 Main Street
PO Box 67
Campbellsburg, Kentucky 40011

The point here is that you don't have to spend hours of your time searching through books or hundreds of dollars traveling around the state to find these things. They are everywhere. You just have to look. Look in the places that you go and look in the places where they are likely to exist. They don't have to be big city ordinances that effect 1000's of people. They are all around us in our daily life and they have to be stomped out. Usually all it takes is a simple email.You don't have to fear that they will be mad at you or that you will be in a shouting match with some crazy person.
Most of these people are just trying to do the best job they can and they feel overwhelmed by the work they have to do. They want to obey the law, but often don't know what it is. There are a few that are zealots, but that is very rare.

Last edited:

DeSchaine

Quick, simple and to the point. Very nice. Now lets hope they follow through so you don't have to get legally medieval on their cans.