• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Diego gun buyback is so popular, police ran out of money

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
San Diego gun buyback is so popular, police ran out of money.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/s...ran-out-of-money/ar-BBG6Szo?OCID=ansmsnnews11
Officers handed out $150 in Wal-Mart gift cards for every handgun or rifle turned in. Each assault weapon netted $250 in Wal-Mart gift cards for the person handing it over to police.

The funding for the gift cards came from a partnership between the Casa Familiar community devleopment agency, the San Diego Police Department and the San Diego County district attorney’s office.

The count of how many handguns and long guns were turned in will be made on Monday, but Leos said three of the weapons were assault rifles.
Three machineguns recovered, WOW.

An increase from 47 weapons to 167 weapons is a massive increase.

OC Freedom

San Diego gun buyback is so popular, police ran out of money.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/s...ran-out-of-money/ar-BBG6Szo?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Three machineguns recovered, WOW.

An increase from 47 weapons to 167 weapons is a massive increase.

I think they are going to need a whole lot more cash. NICS checks since it entered service is at 274+ million. Then add the estimate of 250+ million guns in the USA before NICS started and we are well over the 500+ million mark. Buybacks, what a joke.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nics_firearm_checks_-_month_year.pdf/view

https://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2017/06/27/more-than-600-million-firearms-in-america/

Last edited:

wabbit

A thought, by federal CFR, this nation's citizens must endure a FBI NICS background check unless exempt by ATF guidance, https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart So in 28 states the purchaser only has to show their CC permit and proof of residence to the FFL and NICS does not need to be contacted at all to consummate the citizen's firearm purchase. Yes, I understand the majority of the national sporting goods retail stores refuse to sell citizens a firearm unless NICS is engaged even in those states ATF exempts.

Further, if over half the states are not mandated to contact NICS, does this mean the remaining 22 states are pushing upwards 20M firearm sales in just this year alone?

OMG, how many firearm sales are there in reality?

gutshot II

A thought, by federal CFR, this nation's citizens must endure a FBI NICS background check unless exempt by ATF guidance, https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart So in 28 states the purchaser only has to show their CC permit and proof of residence to the FFL and NICS does not need to be contacted at all to consummate the citizen's firearm purchase. Yes, I understand the majority of the national sporting goods retail stores refuse to sell citizens a firearm unless NICS is engaged even in those states ATF exempts.

Further, if over half the states are not mandated to contact NICS, does this mean the remaining 22 states are pushing upwards 20M firearm sales in just this year alone?

OMG, how many firearm sales are there in reality?

Many, many fewer than would be indicated by the number of NICS run, I suspect. For over six years, I have been able to buy guns without a NICS run on me. My home state is Ky. and our CCDW is an accepted substitute for a NIC. However, the Ky. State Police runs a NICS on every CCDW licensee every thirty days. This makes it look like there are a lot of people buying guns in Ky., when that is really not the case. I don't know how many other states do the same thing. Using the number of NICS to estimate the number of guns sold is a big mistake.
There are also 5 (I believe) states that do there own background checks in place of the NICS. There are lots of guns being sold without NICS. I am amazed at the people on this board that are not up on the way background checks are handled across the country. We are surprised when the media doesn't know about these things and yet many here are as equally uninformed.

I buy guns at many national chain stores that do not require me to endure the NICS. There are only 2 or 3 places that refuse to allow Ky. residents to avoid that delay. Buying a gun in Ky., is often a 5 min. procedure.

Last edited:

OC Freedom

Many, many fewer than would be indicated by the number of NICS run, I suspect. For over six years, I have been able to buy guns without a NICS run on me. My home state is Ky. and our CCDW is an accepted substitute for a NIC. However, the Ky. State Police runs a NICS on every CCDW licensee every thirty days. This makes it look like there are a lot of people buying guns in Ky., when that is really not the case. I don't know how many other states do the same thing. Using the number of NICS to estimate the number of guns sold is a big mistake.
There are also 5 (I believe) states that do there own background checks in place of the NICS. There are lots of guns being sold without NICS. I am amazed at the people on this board that are not up on the way background checks are handled across the country. We are surprised when the media doesn't know about these things and yet many here are as equally uninformed.

I buy guns at many national chain stores that do not require me to endure the NICS. There are only 2 or 3 places that refuse to allow Ky. residents to avoid that delay. Buying a gun in Ky., is often a 5 min. procedure.

Gutshot, I agree with your post. Trying to find out the real numbers is just impossible until the firearm manufacturers provide data on their production numbers and sales of firearms sold to wholesalers/dealers here in the USA over the many decades. My point was touting gun buybacks as being successful is just gun controllers fantasies compared to daily gun sales across this great country. My observation of guns being sold on Black Friday at the three gun shops I went to tells me that many guns are being sold. What are the real numbers? I just don't know, I wish I did.

Lthrnck

Things that make you say Hmmmm...

Going on the estimate of 500 million firearms in this country right now, and if not, another single firearm was ever made and that every one of these 500 million firearms would be sold back….

Let’s see….

500 million firearms @ 250 firearms per sale (I’m being generous here) it would take 2 million buybacks dates to purchase them all.

Now let’s assume that every state in the union had one buyback every single week. 50 states x 52 weeks = 2600 buyback sales per year.

Now if you need 2 million buyback dates and you divide that by 2600 total buybacks that the states could handle it would only take until the year 2786 to get them all bought.

Now if you gave on average of $100.00 per firearm @ 500 million, then these groups would have to raise 50 billion dollars.

Hey guys and gals… I think this is do able… let’s get the ball rolling on this… okay.

Somebody can check my math... with all these zero's floating around I may have lost a couple..