• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Louisville Meetup

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

I will check again with PBRG on carrying holstered weapons. In our conversation I was told you could not have a loaded firearm in the classroom. Just like when I took my CCDW Class at another location. No Loaded Weapons In The Class. I'm guessing there aren't any instructors who want a room full of CCDW students with loaded weapons.
This is not a CCDW class to obtain a carry license. This is a group meeting with a guest speaker. Two different things.

solus

the concept of no ammunition in the classroom where active firearm training is taking place is both common sense to preclude 'AD' but also for insurance coverage. we have all seen the idiot DEA agent video pull their firearm in the classroom and shoot themself in the foot!

as CoL points out, in reality it is a room ~ period and one would presume when active firearm instruction is taking place it is considered a classroom, therefore, no ammo.

when a group of adults are meeting in the room to listen to a lecturer there should not be any consideration about what is worn on an attendee's hip!

by the way lou, when you participated in your CCDW course was the instructor armed while in the classroom? (on the range is a different concept).

vindicated...lecturer is BLET trained and still associated with the Blue.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Loaded firearms in a class room all depends on what is being taught.

I have been involved in training where every student was armed with live weapons in the class room that training didn't involve firearm handling.

I also been involved in force on force training where we went to great lengths to make sure no live weapons, ammo ect. were allowed in the training area. Safety officers, body searches, metal detectors pre and post training staging areas.

Strict adherence to safety protocols for the training one is doing, is what prevents unfortunate things from happening.

It falls on the instructors back if something bad happens, I am very strict on safety I do not let safety violations go unanswered.

The corrective action taken depending on the violation could/can be a mild reminder of the safety rules to being kicked out of the class or training.

Last edited:

LouKYccguy

Right to the man in charge

the concept of no ammunition in the classroom where active firearm training is taking place is both common sense to preclude 'AD' but also for insurance coverage. we have all seen the idiot DEA agent video pull their firearm in the classroom and shoot themself in the foot!

as CoL points out, in reality it is a room ~ period and one would presume when active firearm instruction is taking place it is considered a classroom, therefore, no ammo.

when a group of adults are meeting in the room to listen to a lecturer there should not be any consideration about what is worn on an attendee's hip!

by the way lou, when you participated in your CCDW course was the instructor armed while in the classroom? (on the range is a different concept).

vindicated...lecturer is BLET trained and still associated with the Blue.

I went to Nathan Pridemore the manager of the PBR&G here in Louisville. You CAN carry holstered weapons anywhere in the store EXCEPT for the class room.

My instructor is a thrice retired LEO. He's always armed. And I would expect an instructor to be armed. Visitors, students attendees are a whole different animal.

I really want every one to come out and have a good time and learn things. And, i hope I meet many of you that evening.

gutshot II

I went to Nathan Pridemore the manager of the PBR&G here in Louisville. You CAN carry holstered weapons anywhere in the store EXCEPT for the class room.

My instructor is a thrice retired LEO. He's always armed.
And I would expect an instructor to be armed. Visitors, students attendees are a whole different animal.

I really want every one to come out and have a good time and learn things. And, i hope I meet many of you that evening.

"My instructor is a thrice retired LEO. He's always armed."Do you mean the instructor that held the class for your CCDW? What does your instructor mean? In you OP you referred to the speaker for the night as "she", so I assume you don't mean her. Of course, in today's culture things change quickly in that subject matter.

solus

"My instructor is a thrice retired LEO. He's always armed."Do you mean the instructor that held the class for your CCDW? What does your instructor mean? In you OP you referred to the speaker for the night as "she", so I assume you don't mean her. Of course, in today's culture things change quickly in that subject matter.

see what happens when you put someone on ignore and someone else directly responds to the ignoree's previous post ~ you experience confusion big time!!

gutshot II

Loaded firearms in a class room all depends on what is being taught.

I have been involved in training where every student was armed with live weapons in the class room that training didn't involve firearm handling.

I also been involved in force on force training where we went to great lengths to make sure no live weapons, ammo ect. were allowed in the training area. Safety officers, body searches, metal detectors pre and post training staging areas.

Strict adherence to safety protocols for the training one is doing, is what prevents unfortunate things from happening.

It falls on the instructors back if something bad happens, I am very strict on safety I do not let safety violations go unanswered.

The corrective action taken depending on the violation could/can be a mild reminder of the safety rules to being kicked out of the class or training.

When the KY Concealed Carry Program started, it was very much a "cottage industry". Every instructor in that program had to be trained for that program alone. No other cetification was accepted. A person could have been a cerified NRA instructor of 20 years and he would have to go through the Ky. DCJT training just like a newby to teach a course that would qualify under the new Ky. CCDW law. No one was "grandfathered". When I was a KY Concealed Carry Instructor(1996 to 2011), I gave my classes in my living room and my dining room. The live fire portion was conducted on my back deck. My potential liability was almost unlimited. One slip up by these strangers could have cost me everything I own. I had two old ladies, at separate times, that, when they finished the live firing and I told them that they had passed, gave a big sigh of relief and said "Oh I was so worried, today is the first time I ever fired a gun". "Worried", but not worried enough to practice a little and become familiar with the operation of the gun, beforehand.

My classes were for 10 persons, max. Everyone fired the live fire portion of the test separately, one at a time. When they first came into my house, I took control of their firearm and ammo. I checked each firearm personally and made sure it was unloaded. The students did not get any ammo back until they stood at the firing line, ready to start the live fire test. I only gave them the minimum number of rounds required by the test. I stood immediately behind and to the right of each one of them. If there were any malfunctions of their firearm, they were instructed to not attempt to fix it, and just lay it down, muzzle pointed down range and step away. Then I would inspect it and, if possible in a brief period of time, fix the problem and see if they could continue with the test. When they finished, I then took control of the firearm again until they left my home. To do things any other way would have been foolish and negligent. This procedure was to protect every one involved, including me. Anyone that objected to this procedure was excused from the class and excused from my home.

Last edited:

gutshot II

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty about the policy of this business concerning the carrying of firearms on the premises. So, I decided to ride by Point Blank Range and see for myself what that policy is. There is a sign on the front door and you can see a picture of the sign at the link below. Make sure to read the bottom line.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7idqjjsoc0kdloc/20171221_150807.jpg?dl=0

There is no mention of "classrooms" or "CCDW classes", but the general policy of this business seems clear to me.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
There seems to be a lot of uncertainty about the policy of this business concerning the carrying of firearms on the premises. So, I decided to ride by Point Blank Range and see for myself what that policy is. There is a sign on the front door and you can see a picture of the sign at the link below. Make sure to read the bottom line.

There is no mention of "classrooms" or "CCDW classes", but the general policy of this business seems clear to me.
Case means, a box or receptacle for holding something or a container (as a box) for holding something or an outer covering.

A holster is a case. But, so is a pocket or purse.

What we don't know is if there is a different or no sign on the classroom.

wabbit

So, after driving a bit in your outting you did not go inside to look at the site's classroom entrance nor asked any staff member about the rumors being spread out here about their policy?

I am sure for those members who have issues understanding (no insult intended) your picture is perhaps worth a 1000 words, however, it really doesn't clarify nor answer anything on the subject, especially from the OPs perspective for their meet & greet & eat now does it?

gutshot II

So, after driving a bit in your outting you did not go inside to look at the site's classroom entrance nor asked any staff member about the rumors being spread out here about their policy?

I am sure for those members who have issues understanding (no insult intended) your picture is perhaps worth a 1000 words, however, it really doesn't clarify nor answer anything on the subject, especially from the OPs perspective for their meet & greet & eat now does it?

I was able to answer all of my questions concerning this meeting. Anyone that still has unanswered questions can do the same as I did and get the additional answers that they seek. I don't pay much attention to rumors and don't spread them. Are you planning on attending or just randomly inquiring into something that really will not effect you? If you or anyone else wants more information than I was able to supply or think it inconvenient to drive to the range as I did, the phone number is 502-907-1550. I feel quite certain that they would be glad to answer any and all questions concerning rumors about their business and all other matters.

Last edited:

gutshot II

Case means, a box or receptacle for holding something or a container (as a box) for holding something or an outer covering.

A holster is a case. But, so is a pocket or purse.

What we don't know is if there is a different or no sign on the classroom.

Please see my post #29 of this thread for two possible solutions for that mystery.

Last edited:

solus

so glad the non climate warming mini ice age we just experienced has abated as it will make the drive so much more pleasant...

cheers...cya all tomorrow evening!

OC for ME

It is odd that patrons/visitors are not prohibited from the carry of a properly holstered handgun in the facility except for a small portion of that same facility. What is it about the classroom in this facility that encourages folks to handle their pistol in the classroom where the remainder of the facility does not encourage similar behavior.

Will the seminar be recorded and made available for those interested but who could not attend due to prior commitments?

A seminar is a form of academic instruction, either at an academic institution or offered by a commercial or professional organization. It has the function of bringing together small groups for recurring meetings, focusing each time on some particular subject, in which everyone present is requested to participate.
How much time will be dedicated to the seminar which will dictate the level of attendee participation.

LouKYccguy

It is odd that patrons/visitors are not prohibited from the carry of a properly holstered handgun in the facility except for a small portion of that same facility. What is it about the classroom in this facility that encourages folks to handle their pistol in the classroom where the remainder of the facility does not encourage similar behavior.

Will the seminar be recorded and made available for those interested but who could not attend due to prior commitments?

How much time will be dedicated to the seminar which will dictate the level of attendee participation.

Roughly the presenter has 10-15 minutes to present and then we'll have Q & A for 10-15 minutes.

I had not thought about recording our events (presentation portion) but that is a good idea for when we do have someone come in and talk to us. I'll work on that for future events.

Last edited by a moderator:

OC for ME

I currently work in Missouri and getting insight about cop training from a non-cop would be interesting. Thanks for the reply. I suggest that the Q and A be recorded. Often the answers to question provide more information than the scripted presentation.

Please let us know your thought and any lingering questions after the event.

gutshot II

This meeting went off well tonight. I went a little early and shot about 50 rounds thru a German G3 308 rifle that I had not fired before. It was quite an experience after shooting nothing but 5.56 rifle and handguns for several years. More gun than I want to shoot every day. I was OC while I shot at the range, but disarmed to go into the classroom.

Anyway, the meeting started on time but a few people were late. Only about half of the 18 that signed up actually made it to the meeting. The speaker was great. She knew her topic and she was very interesting and interested in the subject matter. She was just like me, wind her up and she wouldn't shut up, if the topic is guns. This lady was a fountain of information about the laws and why and how they got worded like the are. She made a few mistakes but they were minor points. We all survived going about an hour and a half without our sidearms. Not one wounded person in the classroom.

She knew all about KC3 and our lawsuits against UK and several cities, especially Hillview. I didn't tell her that I was a KC3 member until after the meeting. When she was asked about how violations of our laws by local governments happened, she answered correctly that they happen because nobody challenges them. This was a valuable evening. I am glad I went and intend to go to more if the organizer sets them up. He seems like a great guy. I hope that I have the opportunity to hear this speaker again. She made it a worthwhile evening.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
This meeting went off well tonight. I went a little early and shot about 50 rounds thru a German G3 308 rifle that I had not fired before. It was quite an experience after shooting nothing but 5.56 rifle and handguns for several years. More gun than I want to shoot every day. I was OC while I shot at the range, but disarmed to go into the classroom.

Anyway, the meeting started on time but a few people were late. Only about half of the 18 that signed up actually made it to the meeting. The speaker was great. She knew her topic and she was very interesting and interested in the subject matter. She was just like me, wind her up and she wouldn't shut up, if the topic is guns. This lady was a fountain of information about the laws and why and how they got worded like the are. She made a few mistakes but they were minor points. We all survived going about an hour and a half without our sidearms. Not one wounded person in the classroom.

She knew all about KC3 and our lawsuits against UK and several cities, especially Hillview. I didn't tell her that I was a KC3 member until after the meeting. When she was asked about how violations of our laws by local governments happened, she answered correctly that they happen because nobody challenges them. This was a valuable evening. I am glad I went and intend to go to more if the organizer sets them up. He seems like a great guy. I hope that I have the opportunity to hear this speaker again. She made it a worthwhile evening.
Good to hear, but was there a sign on the classroom allowing or disallowing firearms?

OC for ME

... Not one wounded person in the classroom. ...
Poor attempt at a jab to those who rightly highlight the hypocrisy of the business regarding the carry of a properly holstered handgun.

It is good to know that unarmed attendees did not wound any other unarmed attendee with a firearm that they were not permitted to carry in a small section of that business that permits the carry of loaded firearms in the remainder of that business.

My recommendation to have the event recorded was made in haste. I retract.

When folks learn that they can watch the event at a later date, at their convenience, the event would end up being a interwebs video blog...the guest speaker(s) would have no incentive to continue to support events in the future where they were the only participant.

gutshot II

Good to hear, but was there a sign on the classroom allowing or disallowing firearms?

No, no, no. You have to show up at the event to get answers on details like that. I posted a picture of the sign on the front door in my post #29 of this thread. That's all I've got for you.