• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer disarmed

Kirbinator

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/20171222/stolen-gun-at-walmart-causes-panic
Posted Dec 22, 2017 at 1:05 PM Updated Dec 22, 2017 at 3:19 PM An incident involving a stolen gun caused a commotion at Walmart on Skibo Road on Thursday afternoon. About 3 p.m., Fayetteville police spokeswoman Asia Cannon said, inaccurate information based on radio scanner traffic began circulating about a shooting at the Walmart. Officers arrived and discovered that a man had grabbed a gun off another man who was open-carrying the weapon. The man who grabbed the gun then ran off. During the incident, someone yelled out in the business about a gun, and a commotion broke out. Cannon said one Walmart employee was treated by emergency personnel for an asthma attack. No one else was injured. Cannon said the man who stole the gun was last seen running toward Yadkin Road. The incident remains under investigation, and police are searching for the man. Anyone with information is asked to call Crimestoppers at 483-TIPS (8477). Monica Vendituoli

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Officers arrived and discovered that a man had grabbed a gun off another man who was open-carrying the weapon.
Over the years there have been a number of reports of an OCd handgun being snatched/stolen. All w/o exception have proven erroneous.

I will reserve judgement until the facts prove out the final determination on this one.

Might it happen one day? Assuredly so. Until then the odds IMO greatly favor the OCer. The hundreds, thousands of hourly OC events w/o negative conclusions dramatically off sets one lone/singular gun snatch. With tongue in cheek, I compute the odds as .000001% - those are odds with which I can live. CCers will still look like a victim looking for a place to happen.

Firearms Iinstuctor

. The hundreds, thousands of hourly OC events w/o negative conclusions dramatically off sets one lone/singular gun snatch. With tongue in cheek, I compute the odds as .000001% - those are odds with which I can live. CCers will still look like a victim looking for a place to happen.

But you forget a lot of people are mathematically challenged.

The odds of something happening does not matter.

The only thing that matters is that it has happen and could happen again.

As long as the narrative fits their agenda.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
But you forget a lot of people are mathematically challenged.

The odds of something happening does not matter.

The only thing that matters is that it has happen and could happen again.

As long as the narrative fits their agenda.

We do not know yet that it has happened - not confirmed as reported.

WalkingWolf

Printing is not OC, pocket carry is not OC. The few cases where they were claimed to be OC, they turned out to be cases of CC with considerable lack of intelligence.

Kirbinator

IIRC this is the third OCer disarmed in a decade or so. I remember one was a guy in Wisconsin before they had concealed carry, so the only lawful carry was open. I'm told that NC has a provision to the open carry law that it may not cause alarm, and it appears that the paper is trying to invoke that clause by creating alarm where there is none. Like others, I shall wait for confirmation or clarification as to the nature of the incident and confirmation if it truly was a disarmed OCer.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Kirbinator
IIRC this is the third in a decade or so. I remember one was a guy in Wisconsin before they had concealed carry, so the only lawful carry was open. I'm told that NC has a provision to the open carry law that it may not cause alarm, and it appears that the paper is trying to invoke that clause by creating alarm where there is none. Like others, I shall wait for confirmation or clarification as to the nature of the incident and confirmation if it truly was a disarmed OCer.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. I'm thinking you are referencing the provisions of the charge "Going Armed to the Terror of the Public (GATTOP)", and then extending the requirement of "intent" to action by a third party. Wrong, if that is what you are doing. You must not demonstrate intent to terrorize, but no other party can do it for you.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Kirbinator
--snipped--
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. I'm thinking you are referencing the provisions of the charge "Going Armed to the Terror of the Public (GATTOP)", and then extending the requirement of "intent" to action by a third party. Wrong, if that is what you are doing. You must not demonstrate intent to terrorize, but no other party can do it for you.

No 'intent' was required.

GATTTOTP was all in the perception of the viewer(s) and invoked unfairly by the government agents.

Brian D.

I hope there are updates to this story soon. Otherwise the whole thing is sort of forgotten about, with people reaching their own conclusions about how it happened.

bc.cruiser

Somehow the word 'commotion' in the rather brief report became 'panic' in the headline. Newspaper sensationalism at work.
Nothing said by the 'government agents' mentioned anything other than 'commotion'. Certainly not GATTTOTP.

We may have read different reports; I used the one posted by the OP.

solus

so BC, Kirbinator, and grape, where exactly is this nebulous NC statute(s) you kind folk believe refers to Gitta-up-and-whatever?

now remember valid STATUTES not a legislative wantabe concept!

hummm...

Maverick9

No 'intent' was required.

GATTTOTP was all in the perception of the viewer(s) and invoked unfairly by the government agents.

I have a couple questions.

1) is this a 'pile on' statute or law? IOW, it's used to up the charges on someone charged with something else.

2) How did you determine it was invoked unfairly?

Apparently it's one of those 'laws' which legislators KNOW will only be applied to L-AC, and it will be drafted in a way that's purposely vague.

IMO, there needs to be a 'comeuppance' such that if a jury feels the criteria was not actually met that the agency invoking it must pay a fine, perhaps just a token, but it sends a message that they are serious about having this law for when a real predator is terrorizing people.

FWIW

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have a couple questions.

1) is this a 'pile on' statute or law? IOW, it's used to up the charges on someone charged with something else.

2) How did you determine it was invoked unfairly?

Apparently it's one of those 'laws' which legislators KNOW will only be applied to L-AC, and it will be drafted in a way that's purposely vague.

IMO, there needs to be a 'comeuppance' such that if a jury feels the criteria was not actually met that the agency invoking it must pay a fine, perhaps just a token, but it sends a message that they are serious about having this law for when a real predator is terrorizing people.

FWIW
The real law(s) actually exist - called assault.

"Putting someone in fear of physical harm is enough for assault charge or conviction. For example, when a defendant points a gun at someone and defendant thinks it is a joke but the victim has a fear of imminent harm, the defendant can be charged with assault. Even the raising of a hand as if about to hit someone can constitute an assault."
http://www.waypointlegal.com/index.php/topics/view/assault-and-battery

Last edited:

Kirbinator

I'm not familiar with NC law resources, so I defer to those who know it better than myself. I'm not trying to spread fear, uncertainty, or doubt with this post; I am merely reporting that a media outlet is reporting that these things happened (and shock, surprise, they have doctored the story). If the story checks out, then it appears to be another of a very small number of incidents. If it does not, then it is another misreported story.

solus

I hope there are updates to this story soon. Otherwise the whole thing is sort of forgotten about, with people reaching their own conclusions about how it happened.

it died and didn't even make NC gun owners forum...tho it did make the FPD facebook pages with multiple comments.

much to do about...