• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Volunteer ham radio opportunities while armed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDavid

I am looking for opportunities to volunteer as a ham radio operator. I use to volunteer with a city but have moved.

My local county SAR contact responded to an email "Per XXXXX County Sheriff's directive we are not allowed to carry concealed or open while on a SAR function."

I have also been told AARL has the same stance.

I figured someone here had come across this before.

Last edited by a moderator:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I am looking for opportunities to volunteer as a ham radio operator. I use to volunteer with a city but have moved.

My local county SAR contact responded to an email "Per XXXXX County Sheriff's directive we are not allowed to carry conceled or open while on a SAR function."

Help some of us out here. What is SAR and AARL??????

Search and Rescue???

Last edited:

Mainsail

My local county SAR contact responded to an email "Per XXXXX County Sheriff's directive we are not allowed to carry conceled or open while on a SAR function."

Amateur Extra here. I would be curious what this Sheriff's directive is, who issued it, and under what legal authority. I have heard of some local clubs having rules against firearms carry while volunteering and they lose a lot of radio operators because of it.

I think you're going to have to ask the person who told you that to provide a copy of the directive; you'll likely find it isn't as directive as they want you to believe it is.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Amateur Extra here. I would be curious what this Sheriff's directive is, who issued it, and under what legal authority. I have heard of some local clubs having rules against firearms carry while volunteering and they lose a lot of radio operators because of it.

I think you're going to have to ask the person who told you that to provide a copy of the directive; you'll likely find it isn't as directive as they want you to believe it is.
I second that!!!

When you place ridiculous demands on a volunteer you usually get less. And, what volunteers you get do not bring the skills required.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Most counties prohibit carry during missions due to being covered by state insurance. I also think there was some knucklehead that had a ND which didn't help the situation.
Check with your county Emergency Management Dept if they have a DART team. I'm with Thurston County, and they at least haven't said no (don't ask, don't tell). I know a few on the team carry.
http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/em/Orgs/DART/index.htm

solus

American Radio Relay League (ARRL) and Search and Rescue (SAR).

snipp

Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE)
The regulations have specific MPE requirements for radiated electric fields, magnetic fields and power density. (See Table 1.) MPEs are derived from the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) at which tissue absorbs RF energy, usually expressed in watts per kilogram (W/kg). The FCC MPEs are not based strictly on IEEE C95.1, but rather on a hybrid between that Standard and one developed by the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements (NCRP),[4] a body commissioned to develop recommendations for federal agencies.

http://www.arrl.org/the-fcc-s-new-rf-exposure-regulations

ARES ~ amateur radio emergency services

FreedomLover

Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE)
The regulations have specific MPE requirements for radiated electric fields, magnetic fields and power density. (See Table 1.) MPEs are derived from the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) at which tissue absorbs RF energy, usually expressed in watts per kilogram (W/kg). The FCC MPEs are not based strictly on IEEE C95.1, but rather on a hybrid between that Standard and one developed by the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements (NCRP),[4] a body commissioned to develop recommendations for federal agencies.

http://www.arrl.org/the-fcc-s-new-rf-exposure-regulations

ARES ~ amateur radio emergency services

Non-Sequitor to the topic at hand until you can provide context as to how regulations about Radio Frequency Exposure limits relate to the carry of a firearm.

solus

many times when AERS, amateur radio emergency communication networks are set up by ARRL volunteers and who man them, are located in county emergency command posts/management offices which operate under the auspices of the local law enforcement agencies or national guard facilities, therefore, civilians are not afforded permission to have firearms within those facilities.

ARES is activated before, during and after an emergency. Generally, ARES handles all emergency messages, including those between government emergency management officials. RACES, on the other hand, almost never starts before an emergency and is active only during the emergency and during the immediate aftermath if government emergency management offices need communications support. RACES is normally shut down shortly after the emergency has cleared.

http://www.arrl.org/ares-races-faq

solus

Non-Sequitor (SIC) to the topic at hand until you can provide context as to how regulations about Radio Frequency Exposure limits relate to the carry of a firearm.

sorry as it applied to nightmare's definition of ARRL SAR - search and rescue verses ARRL's actual definition of SAR ~ specific absorption rate ?

so i would guess you need to quantify the OPs concept of how the ARRL's 'official' SAR definition correlates to firearms eh?

then my statement ARES = amateur radio emergency communications is the proper nomenclature within the ARRL regarding emergency communications services.

guess that answers your question about context eh?

Last edited:

FreedomLover

sorry as it applied to nightmare's definition of ARRL SAR - search and rescue verses ARRL's actual definition of SAR ~ specific absorption rate ?

so i would guess you need to quantify the OPs concept of how the ARRL's 'official' SAR definition correlates to firearms eh?

then my statement ARES = amateur radio emergency communications is the proper nomenclature within the ARRL regarding emergency communications services.

guess that answers your question about context eh?

Now, I do seem to have read a thread on this forum wherein you provided an incomplete and deceptive definition of the word "RACE". You have a history! Not a good one in my estimation. Goodbye to you.

solus

Now, I do seem to have read a thread on this forum wherein you provided an incomplete and deceptive definition of the word "RACE". You have a history! Not a good one in my estimation. Goodbye to you.

sorry, you just accused me of non-sequitur commentary, and now out of the blue you pop off with this off the wall statement?

however since you just provided an unsubstantiated or cited information which you believe i provided an incomplete and deceptive definition to someone somewhere, please allow me to assure you understand the term 'race'

Definition of race1 chiefly Scotland : the act of running
2 a : a strong or rapid current of water flowing through a narrow channel
b : a watercourse used industrially
c : the current flowing in such a course
3 a : a set course or duration of time
b : the course of life
4 a : a contest of speed
b races plural : a meeting in which several races (as for horses) are run
c : a contest or rivalry involving progress toward a goal pennant race
5 : a track or channel in which something rolls or slides; specifically : a groove (as for the balls) in a bearing — see roller bearing illustration

race
verb
Definition of race
raced; racing
intransitive verb
1 : to compete in a race
2 : to go, move, or function at top speed or out of control people racing for safety struggled to sleep as his mind raced
3 : to revolve too fast under a diminished load
transitive verb
1 : to engage in a race with
2 a : to enter in a race
b : to drive or ride at high speed
c : to transport or propel at maximum speed
3 : to speed (an engine) without a working load or with the transmission disengaged

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/race

now freedomlover, if you wish to provide a specific instance where you believe i was deceptive please provide a viable cite for me to review context and provide you or anybody else who might be interested, clarification.

as for having a history...alas, again based on your use of subjective term of you have history it is difficult to defend...so i am not sensing anytype of loss with your good bye...we will miss your inputs to the forum after you leave.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
FreedomLover, solus was explaining how you will be glowing in the dark if you volunteer as a ham operator; no one wants you to be glowing in the dark. Obamacare doesn't cover glowing in the dark.

OC for ME

Is there a requirement to be affiliated with a "official" organization to provide communications support during a emergency? Would a local emergency management agency not accept new/amplifying information due to the non-affiliated status? Does the carry of a firearm invalidate any information provided?

Carry and provide information then see if the information is acted upon. If it is rejected due to your carry and there ensues negative consequences as a result pass that outcome along to the local media and then see where that "official" organization finds itself.

Volunteers are just that, volunteers, no affiliation (ordained status) is required except where self aggrandizing dictatorial bureaucracies are concerned. Do what you do best and let the chips fall where they may.

solus

arrl ares is the official national affiliation and is associated through the state/region arrl clubs with providine EM operation centers w/qualified radio operators during events. arrl nationally developed training/certification w/supplementary localized training being manditory for these state/local volunteers before their use in their respective emergency situations.

further, as nightmare posted the conversation pertaining to WI’s ares policies from 5 years ago, state level arrl ares follow the edict of state level emergency management policy managers to control their operational facilities.

http://www.arrl.org/emergency-communications-training

http://www.arrl.org/online-course-catalog

as for EM operations mandatory use of arrl ares volunteers, someone would have to dig in EM operational as well as arrl national level charters, agreements, etc., to find that link.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Though this forum promotes open carry, we all know there are times that conceal carry is prudent. With that said, as a friend says, conceal that gun, carry that gun and keep your mouth shut.

FreedomLover

sorry, you just accused me of non-sequitur commentary, and now out of the blue you pop off with this off the wall statement?

however since you just provided an unsubstantiated or cited information which you believe i provided an incomplete and deceptive definition to someone somewhere, please allow me to assure you understand the term 'race'

Definition of race1 chiefly Scotland : the act of running
2 a : a strong or rapid current of water flowing through a narrow channel
b : a watercourse used industrially
c : the current flowing in such a course
3 a : a set course or duration of time
b : the course of life
4 a : a contest of speed
b races plural : a meeting in which several races (as for horses) are run
c : a contest or rivalry involving progress toward a goal pennant race
5 : a track or channel in which something rolls or slides; specifically : a groove (as for the balls) in a bearing — see roller bearing illustration

race
verb
Definition of race
raced; racing
intransitive verb
1 : to compete in a race
2 : to go, move, or function at top speed or out of control people racing for safety struggled to sleep as his mind raced
3 : to revolve too fast under a diminished load
transitive verb
1 : to engage in a race with
2 a : to enter in a race
b : to drive or ride at high speed
c : to transport or propel at maximum speed
3 : to speed (an engine) without a working load or with the transmission disengaged

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/race

now freedomlover, if you wish to provide a specific instance where you believe i was deceptive please provide a viable cite for me to review context and provide you or anybody else who might be interested, clarification.

as for having a history...alas, again based on your use of subjective term of you have history it is difficult to defend...so i am not sensing anytype of loss with your good bye...we will miss your inputs to the forum after you leave.

And now AGAIN, you have provided an incomplete quote not including other usagaes for the word "race"... and yet in the very same link you provided one finds---
3 race
noun
Definition of race
1 : a breeding stock of animals
2 a : a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock
b : a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics
3 a : an actually or potentially interbreeding group within a species; also : a taxonomic category (such as a subspecies) representing such a group
b : breed
c : a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits
4 obsolete : inherited temperament or disposition
5 : distinctive flavor, taste, or strength

Again from the same exact link you provided under the heading of "Phrases Related to RACE"
Phrases Related to RACE
Related Phrases

a race against the clock
a race against time
obstacle race
race car
race/work against time
racing car
the human race
the races
the rat race
use/play the race/gender card

And as to the previous incident I referenced it was an exchange between you, Solus, and another forum member who seems to have tired of your silly games under the poster name of "JOESPARKY". Is your memory so short?

Last edited:

solus

And now AGAIN, you have provided an incomplete quote not including other usagaes for the word "race"... and yet in the very same link you provided one finds---

Again from the same exact link you provided under the heading of "Phrases Related to RACE"

And as to the previous incident I referenced it was an exchange between you, Solus, and another forum member who seems to have tired of your silly games under the poster name of "JOESPARKY". Is your memory so short?

speaking of silly games, which you seem to wish to engage in, as previously stated, solus quote: now freedomlover, if you wish to provide a specific instance where you believe i was deceptive please provide a viable cite for me to review context and provide you or anybody else who might be interested, clarification unquote, as mr sparky, the august member from UTAH and i have posted numerous times over the years and we even broke bread together in the past, so if you could, you might need to be a little more succinct instead of such a broad generalization.

now i am sorry if you believe i am being deceptive towards you or anybody else, in the past or now or will continue in the future, however, lexicon derivations for words have been going on for centuries, that you might not recognize the use of 'race' has been since the mid 1930s, anthropologists, sociologists, biologists, ad nauseam, have been disavowing the term is not a representative term.

as in the current #metoo uprising outing those individuals who might have been inappropriate towards women years (read decades) ago the same occurred from the '30s, disapproval of the term gained significant notoriety after WWII atrocities through the '50s moving towards the new century, with the UN stating several times over the years the term 'race' was not representative of ethnicity all the while gaining more understanding through the '60s > and as mentioned dictionary's list previous word usages.

as mentioned in Wiki: "In his 1984 article in the Essence magazine, "On Being 'White' ... and Other Lies", James Baldwin reads the history of racialization in America as both figuratively and literally violent, remarking that "race" only exists as a social construction within a network of force relations: "America became white — the people who, as they claim, 'settled' the country became white — because of the necessity of denying the Black presence, and justifying the Black subjugation. No community can be based on such a principle — or, in other words, no community can be established on so genocidal a lie. White men from Norway, for example, where they were Norwegians — became white: by slaughtering the cattle, poisoning the well, torching the houses, massacring Native Americans, raping Black women.... Because they are white, they cannot allow themselves to be tormented by the suspicion that all men are brothers."

so like other idiosyncrasies within the English language, e.g., two, to, too; there, their, they're; winch, which, wench; it is up to the individual to discern on the dictionary's meaning and use credible understanding of how derogatory the word actually is in today's environment and communities...

(here is another perspective from urban dictionary for the term: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Race)

if you feel slighted with your perception of my alleged incomplete definition, that emotion is completely yours, as i will not contribute to the continued use of a word which has such negative & incorrect connotations any more than i would use a well used negative term toward women ~ you, in your personal verbal & written communications may, of course, use whatever terms you wish to describe the women, people of color, ad nauseam, in your world.

added: FYI, freedomlover, i am no way responsible for Mr. Sparky's or charles, utbagpiper, piper's or any other member's decision to not avail themselves of this national forum.

you might visit UTAH's CC forum and discern when the last time either of these members have participated in their own state's CC conversations

Last edited:

solus

moderator, while not the originator of this thread regarding ARRL and the organizational ARES operations within a community's emergency management, might i suggest it be closed as it seems to have gone awry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
moderator, while not the originator of this thread regarding ARRL and the organizational ARES operations within a community's emergency management, might i suggest it be closed as it seems to have gone awry.
That privilege is only afforded OPs; however, I do not take kindly to intentional misdirection.

Please stay on track ladies and gentlemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.