• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Remington in big financial trouble

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Bankruptcy possible.

"In 1816, Eliphalet Remington opened his firearm company in Ilion, New York. For many years, Remington has made many popular hunting and target rifles and shotguns as well as many different calibers of ammunition. Remington is the oldest firearm company in the United States, but that history is now teetering on the brink of bankruptcy or worse. "

https://keepandbear.com/news/remington-seeks-financial-help-bankruptcy/

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

They have had a lot of hard knocks that last few decades. I believe the brand will continue, but under new ownership.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot, empty your piggy bank and bail them out. It would be the right thing for you to do.

My piggy bank is under water and I am living on the residuals of my next born......that will be a long time maturing.

They have had a lot of hard knocks that last few decades. I believe the brand will continue, but under new ownership.

Sincerely hope so. Remington is an icon.

Seems to me that upper management has not adapted to market conditions.

WalkingWolf

They got setback by the lawsuits, then the R51 failure. Their other brands are not doing well either, it is case of using a boat anchor to keep anvil afloat. Also the lesser expensive rifles, and pistols on the market have done their damage.

FBrinson

They got setback by the lawsuits, then the R51 failure. Their other brands are not doing well either, it is case of using a boat anchor to keep anvil afloat. Also the lesser expensive rifles, and pistols on the market have done their damage.

Too bad about those failures. I have always been brand loyal to Remington. I currently own the model m1917, 511, 512, 514, several 870s, 1100, 700 bdl, 770, 700 sps, and even a first round R51 (which has performed flawlessly). Remington has long been a reputable company but in the last 10 years they have made some miscalculations which has lead to their current state. I hope the company survives.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Too bad about those failures. I have always been brand loyal to Remington. I currently own the model m1917, 511, 512, 514, several 870s, 1100, 700 bdl, 770, 700 sps, and even a first round R51 (which has performed flawlessly). Remington has long been a reputable company but in the last 10 years they have made some miscalculations which has lead to their current state. I hope the company survives.

A Rem-arsenal!

You are a boating accident looking for a place to happen. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One of my favorite rifles is a Remington .243 BDL - an absolute tack driver and a bargain at the price.

OC for ME

It is tough to stay in business when your new owner promptly saddles you with $1 billion in debt. I suspect that it is not bad publicity that has hurt Remington's business but their efforts to be all things to all people where firearms are concerned. So many variations of the 700 and its derivatives fosters cannibalization of its core brands, 30 plus variants of the 700? https://www.remington.com/search/ri...kfinish=All&additionaloptions=All&passion=All

Sounds like some bad business decisions were made in the race to keep up with the Jones'

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is tough to stay in business when your new owner promptly saddles you with $1 billion in debt. I suspect that it is not bad publicity that has hurt Remington's business but their efforts to be all things to all people where firearms are concerned. So many variations of the 700 and its derivatives fosters cannibalization of its core brands, 30 plus variants of the 700? https://www.remington.com/search/ri...kfinish=All&additionaloptions=All&passion=All

Sounds like some bad business decisions were made in the race to keep up with the Jones'

"U.S. firearm manufacturer, Remington Outdoor Company, said it will file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, but stay in business throughout the process."

-snipped--"Remington said its business operations will not be affected by the restructuring."

Business operations not be affected----really?

Sounds to me like an armless painter trying to do an arm's length transaction.

Last edited:

solus

let me see why i should feel one iota of empathy...

700m debt gone

145m infusion of capital

loss of a mega business ownership oversight

bs storyline of slump in product sales...(go check atf’s data& stats page https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/data-statistics

let me see now, how do i get 845m ?

done dabbing my eyes as reality sinks in from critical thinking skills

CJ4wd

One of my favorite rifles is a Remington .243 BDL - an absolute tack driver and a bargain at the price.

Does yours have the black endcap on the forearm with the thin red spacer between it and the wood?
I bought a used 700 in .243 in the late 80s that was disappointing in its accuracy with 3 kinds of factory ammo. All were 100 gr. loads from Federal, Remington, and Winchester and, at 100 yds. were all over the paper. And this was with a 3-9x scope dialed in at 9x !
Once I worked up my reloads with 4 different loads (and on mixed brass), accuracy became what I had hoped it would be.
Still have that combo but never get to use it as rifles aren't allowed on deer in Illinois.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Does yours have the black endcap on the forearm with the thin red spacer between it and the wood?
I bought a used 700 in .243 in the late 80s that was disappointing in its accuracy with 3 kinds of factory ammo. All were 100 gr. loads from Federal, Remington, and Winchester and, at 100 yds. were all over the paper. And this was with a 3-9x scope dialed in at 9x !
Once I worked up my reloads with 4 different loads (and on mixed brass), accuracy became what I had hoped it would be.
Still have that combo but never get to use it as rifles aren't allowed on deer in Illinois.

Don't think it does.

I'll have to check. It is in my son's gun safe right now.

echofiveniner

Its sad to see this titan of American Industry fall, but what can we do? It seems like 2017/2018 was the first time they ever tried to innovate, or at least give people something new. The 870 DM seemed to be a good move and the Tac 14 hardwood witness protection wannabe is going to be in my colelction. Remington used to make such a fine shotgun, and the 870 410 I got when I was 8 it still a beautifully made and functional gun.

Maybe someone who knows guns can purchase Remington and return it to glory. S&W would be a half decent canidate.