• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CBS is on a roll ~ nightly news does an article on Ghost Guns

solus

well expect the knee jerk to hit shortly...tonight's (13 Feb 18) ghost gun article:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/law-enforcement-struggling-to-combat-unregulated-diy-ghost-guns/

A handgun that looks and fires just like a Glock 9mm has no serial number, is completely untraceable and 100 percent legal. It's known as a "ghost gun," and we bought one online with no background check or waiting period.

It's not technically a firearm, because the part that would be registered -- the lower receiver -- still needs work. But a do-it-yourself kit came with all the necessary parts, even the drill bits and a plastic template showing exactly where to drill the holes.

also referenced: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ghost-guns-shooting-rancho-tehama-california/

The critical component in building an untraceable gun is what is known as the lower receiver, a part typically made of metal or polymer. An unfinished receiver -- sometimes referred to as an "80-percent receiver" -- can be legally bought online with no serial numbers or other markings, no license required.

Converting the piece of metal into a firearm is relatively simple and takes only a few hours. A drill press or a metal cutting machine known as a Computer Numeric Control, or CNC, is used to create a few holes in the receiver and well out a cavity. The receiver is then combined with a few other parts to create a fully functioning semiautomatic rifle or handgun.

wringing my hand in worry or is it wringing my hands cuz i am afraid the ATF will discern i am feverish searching where to buy one...:uhoh:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
A 50-year-old gun law makes homemade guns legal to own, and the only way to regulate the firearms is for Congress to take legislative action.
No, the "Gun Control Act of 1968" did not make homemade guns legal. The "Act" does not even address homemade guns. This is one of those false arguments the gun control freaks promote. If only congress passed a law argument. The fact is the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution says the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed is why the "Gun Control Act of 1968" doesn't address homemade guns.

This is the first section of Public Law 90-618, also known as the "Gun Control Act of 1968."
SEC. 101 . The Congress hereby declares that the purpose of this title is to provide support to Federal, State, and local law enforcement officials in their fight against crime and violence, and it is not the purpose of this title to place any undue or unnecessary Federal restrictions or burdens on law-abiding citizens with respect to the acquisition, possession, or use of firearms appropriate to the purpose of hunting, trapshooting, target shooting, personal protection, or any other lawful activity, and that this title is not intended to discourage or eliminate the private ownership or use of firearms by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes, or provide for the imposition by Federal regulations of any procedures or requirements other than those reasonably necessary to implement and effectuate the provisions of this title.
Read it closely.

Last edited:

solus

No, the "Gun Control Act of 1968" did not make homemade guns legal. The "Act" does not even address homemade guns. This is one of those false arguments the gun control freaks promote. If only congress passed a law argument. The fact is the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution says the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed is why the "Gun Control Act of 1968" doesn't address homemade guns.

This is the first section of Public Law 90-618, also known as the "Gun Control Act of 1968."
Read it closely.

thanks CoL for the great info...

makes me wonder what CBS is up to with two negative firearm segments so close together...