• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicle license plate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
VDOT will be offering a "Stop Gun Violence" license plate.
http://www.varight.com/news/time-to-stop-the-stop-gun-violence-license-plate/

Sometime in the past the VCDL tried to get a specialty plate. Why it wasn't approved I do not know.

I think it is timely to reconsider this item. Would you be interested in such a license plate(s)?

My thoughts:
.....Guns Save Lives
...........Self-defense, a natural right
..................Virginia Citizens Defense League

scouser

Sometime in the past the VCDL tried to get a specialty plate. Why it wasn't approved I do not know.

I think it is timely to reconsider this item. Would you be interested in such a license plate(s)?

My thoughts:
.....Guns Save Lives

Given the attitude of the antis and the stated intentions of many of them to resort to violence against us, my answer is a definitive "NO". When I'm out carrying, I can keep track of me and my firearm(s). I can't keep track of my car. So I'm unwilling to return to slashed tires from butt hurt antis or smashed windows from some gutter punk thinking there might be firearms in the car to steal. Nor do I want to be the next person subjected to harassment by government employed thugs in NJ, NY, MD et al just because of the tags on my car

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Given the attitude of the antis and the stated intentions of many of them to resort to violence against us, my answer is a definitive "NO". When I'm out carrying, I can keep track of me and my firearm(s). I can't keep track of my car. So I'm unwilling to return to slashed tires from butt hurt antis or smashed windows from some gutter punk thinking there might be firearms in the car to steal. Nor do I want to be the next person subjected to harassment by government employed thugs in NJ, NY, MD et al just because of the tags on my car
Me thinks the inconvenience is greatly exaggerated.

The tailgate of my Ram already has GSL and VCDL boldly visible and has been seen up and down the east coast. I have taken lengthy trips with PVC. Never, not once was there an unfortunate incident.

I won't hide my light under a bushel and give the antis the only voice.

The worst of which I have personal knowledge is when Dan Hawes had his GSL magnet stolen from the rear of his vehicle.

Last edited:

2a4all

My thoughts:
.....Guns Save Lives
The "Scenic Patriot" plate with my login works for me.

OC for ME

The tailgate of my Ram already has GSL and VCDL boldly visible and has been seen up and down the east coast. I have taken lengthy trips with PVC. Never, not once was there an unfortunate incident.

The worst of which I have personal knowledge is when Dan Hawes had his GSL magnet stolen from the rear of his vehicle.
And what anti-liberty liberal is going to know what the acronyms GSL or VCDL mean. Where as Guns Saves Lives is obvious, even to a liberal.

Marco

Emphasis Mine^
Agreed!I have GSL bumper stickers/magnets and a decal of an AR on the back of all my vehicles and have yet to experience anything negative, even our cross county trip to the LEFTIST COAST was uneventful.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
The VCDL plate *was* approved.

One notice went out in a VA-ALERT that applicants had to submit the application and a check. Production wouldn't begin until a minimum of 350 orders were in hand. In less than a month, my check was returned to me with a "we didn't get enough interest".

My thoughts:
.....Guns Save Lives

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The VCDL plate *was* approved.

One notice went out in a VA-ALERT that applicants had to submit the application and a check. Production wouldn't begin until a minimum of 350 orders were in hand. In less than a month, my check was returned to me with a "we didn't get enough interest".
You are saying that the Virginia legislature actually passed this? And with less than a one month window? Color me incredulous.

I still think this is worth revisiting.
https://tinyurl.com/ycegfwux

scouser

You are saying that the Virginia legislature actually passed this? And with less than a one month window? Color me incredulous.

I think, once authorized you have 30 days to get the applications and prepayments for 450 orders to the DMV

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/pdf/platesponsor_special.pdf

"...Once the license plate bill passes and is signed by the Governor, it becomes law on July 1 (date of authorization). All applications and payment collected must be accepted by the DMV within 30 days of the date of authorization. If the applications are late or not submitted, the authorization expires and the applications must be refunded....."

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member

Not with a one-month window.

VA legislature passed it several years ago (2012? I don't recall the year.)

VCDL put out the word in one VA-ALERT on how to apply. They did not get the requisite 350 applications. I do not know how long one has to meet that threshold, but I know my check was returned to me with a "we didn't get enough applicants" long before *I* expected the process to take. I don't know what would happen if there was a concerted effort to get 350 applicants. Nor whether it's still an option, though I doubt the legislature rescinded its approval.

MamaLiberty

You being a libertarian why would even have a license plate?;)

First, I am not any sort of "libertarian." I'm a self owner, self governor.

Unfortunately, those who have the power to dictate, do dictate a "license plate." So far, that has not proven to be the hill I want to die on, so I pay for the "license." Just as you probably pay your property tax and the sales tax everywhere.

Thing is that in Wyoming - at least the section where I live - there are very few "cops" at all, and none of them bother anyone about such silly things as stickers on their cars. I've had the window decals as an NRA certified instructor and Chief RSO on my car for ten years. No problems whatsoever. I've never been "pulled over" here. I don't worry about it.

The Wolfhound

I doubt cops were ever the worry

It is the deranged anti-gun liberals who are prone to showing their disfavor with keying the paint or slashing the tires or breaking the windows. Thieves might take gun related stickers as a "Gun Inside" sticker and break windows to find out. You know your neighborhood so you determine your risks.