• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawmakers tour schools to study security

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Speaker Cox says the committee will not take up gun control but will focus on school security and funding to pay for it."
"House Democrats also formed a Safe Virginia Task Force, which will consider gun control and meets in May."

"House Speaker Kirk Cox (R - Colonial Heights) toured security at a school he once attended, Colonial Heights High School.
"Good morning. How may I help you?" said a receptionist to Speaker Cox over the intercom.
To enter the school is to enter a fortress. You have to be buzzed in, your identification is checked, you sign in and wear a badge."
https://tinyurl.com/ycp4jtax

So the good guy n gals are made to jump through the hoops unarmed; whereas a bad guy only need gain admittance (not go to the office) to have a barrel of fish in front of him.

Okay, so someone pushes the panic button or a person monitoring a security camera/screen witnesses the carnage and calls for police assistance. How many will have been killed or injured before the shooter is stopped or kills himself?

It is not about gun control - it is about people control. If that means hardening our schools, including armed personnel, then go for it.

I suggest that our lawmakers look at the record of Liberty University and at the history of other schools where guns are allowed on school grounds.
https://tinyurl.com/y72qw5cf

Last edited:

SAvage410

I spoke with Corey Stewart after his speech at Saturday's rally in Richmond. He had spoken in favor of laws that would have retired police and veterans patrolling the schools. My comment to him was that he was thinking like a bureaucrat, and that advocating these laws would give the antis a focal point from which to push back. I stated that I'd read something that made more sense (to me, at least). Someone theorized that, were attacks such as Parkland a regular occurrence at, say, Wal-Mart, security measures would be promptly emplaced, or the officers of the company would be sued for personal liability for failing to ensure customer safety. With that as a background, change the laws such that school/school board personnel who do not take, or worse, block effective security measures (including hiring retired cops/veterans) would be held as personally liable as corporate officers. Prescriptive measures 1) Give the antis a platform, 2. Promote and us/them mentality, 3. Give the perps an identifiable target to take out first, and 4. Can be viewed as a minimum standard to be met, regardless of any such measure's effectiveness or lack of same.

I only wish that the idea had been original to me, but I cannot claim that credit.

B

Bikenut

I spoke with Corey Stewart after his speech at Saturday's rally in Richmond. He had spoken in favor of laws that would have retired police and veterans patrolling the schools. My comment to him was that he was thinking like a bureaucrat, and that advocating these laws would give the antis a focal point from which to push back. I stated that I'd read something that made more sense (to me, at least). Someone theorized that, were attacks such as Parkland a regular occurrence at, say, Wal-Mart, security measures would be promptly emplaced, or the officers of the company would be sued for personal liability for failing to ensure customer safety. With that as a background, change the laws such that school/school board personnel who do not take, or worse, block effective security measures (including hiring retired cops/veterans) would be held as personally liable as corporate officers. Prescriptive measures 1) Give the antis a platform, 2. Promote and us/them mentality, 3. Give the perps an identifiable target to take out first, and 4. Can be viewed as a minimum standard to be met, regardless of any such measure's effectiveness or lack of same.

I only wish that the idea had been original to me, but I cannot claim that credit.
Great idea with one flaw. Leftist progressives will gleefully take credit for everything good, even if they didn't have anything to do with making it happen, but will never ever take responsibility for anything bad even if they caused it.

OC for ME

Bad idea. The state has no authority to enact laws that infringe upon my right to enter public facilities on legitimate business and to further enact prior restraints on my right to defend me and mine, and others if absolutely necessary. Is getting ex-cops and military a first step? Nope, just more of the government determining who is worthy and who is not worthy.

The reality? Liberals control education facilities and they will never, ever, allow me to enter my kid's school armed as the US Constitution affirms my right to do so.

scooter348

Bad idea. The state has no authority to enact laws that infringe upon my right to enter public facilities on legitimate business and to further enact prior restraints on my right to defend me and mine, and others if absolutely necessary. Is getting ex-cops and military a first step? Nope, just more of the government determining who is worthy and who is not worthy.

The reality? Liberals control education facilities and they will never, ever, allow me to enter my kid's school armed as the US Constitution affirms my right to do so.

Until such a time as schools are not gun-free zones, I want more protection for my wife and daughter when they are in their respective schools. Outside of the schools, I'll protect them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Until such a time as schools are not gun-free zones, I want more protection for my wife and daughter when they are in their respective schools. Outside of the schools, I'll protect them.

We should still have the option/right to protect ourselves and them no matter whether in schools or not.

scooter348

We should still have the option/right to protect ourselves and them no matter whether in schools or not.

I wholeheartedly agree. However, what will happen quicker: The Legislature will change the law to allow carrying of firearms in school by citizens or more security officers will be hired to protect the teachers and kids? The truth is the law preventing lawful carry in schools by citizens is never gonna change in Virginia. This proud state is clearly purple and will be staunchly blue in just a few short years. That means that the battle lines are between more school security or gun control and that will be our fight. I would like nothing better than to be able to walk into the school where my wife teaches and not have to take my gun off before I go in, but that's a pipe dream in today's society.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wholeheartedly agree. However, what will happen quicker: The Legislature will change the law to allow carrying of firearms in school by citizens or more security officers will be hired to protect the teachers and kids? The truth is the law preventing lawful carry in schools by citizens is never gonna change in Virginia. This proud state is clearly purple and will be staunchly blue in just a few short years. That means that the battle lines are between more school security or gun control and that will be our fight. I would like nothing better than to be able to walk into the school where my wife teaches and not have to take my gun off before I go in, but that's a pipe dream in today's society.
I realize you are talking about K-12 schools. Google Liberty University and see the gun rules there.

Don't sell the people in Virginia short, we have performed greater feats before. We just need to wind their clocks tighter again.