• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Requirements for Virginia Resident CCW

carverebain

I have read here on old posts to the forum that Arlington County, Va requires fingerprinting and a notary public verification if the application form isn't signed in person in front of the clerk. Is that still true? I don't see those two requirements anywhere on the Arlington County Circuit sites for CCW permits or on the VA state police site.

Last edited:

carverebain

I have read here on old posts to the forum that Arlington County, Va requires fingerprinting and a notary public verification if the application form isn't signed in person in front of the clerk. Is that still true? I don't see those two requirements anywhere on the Arlington County Circuit sites for CCW permits or on the VA state police site.

The only only up-to-date official info I can find that references fingerprinting is for the non-resident CCW permit.

mobeewan

Finger printing and FBI background checks used to be an option allowed under Virginia law for issuing CHPs. Not all counties and independent cities finger printed. Eventually the General Assembly amended the law to drop finger printing and FBI background check as unnecessary since it didn't really add any value to the approval system.

If the application is not signed in front of the clerk accepting it you must sign it in front of a notary and have them notarize it.

markand

Finger printing and FBI background checks used to be an option allowed under Virginia law for issuing CHPs. Not all counties and independent cities finger printed. Eventually the General Assembly amended the law to drop finger printing and FBI background check as unnecessary since it didn't really add any value to the approval system.

If the application is not signed in front of the clerk accepting it you must sign it in front of a notary and have them notarize it.

To clarify, the resident applicant fingerprint option was repealed, effective July 1, 2012. Counties are now prohibited from collecting fingerprints of resident applicants. Non-resident applicants must provide fingerprints and a passport photo, but NOT residents.

Also to clarify, the notary option was also repealed, effective July 1, 2017. Resident applicants must take their application in person to the clerk of the court in their county of residence. Renewal applications CAN be mailed in, but NOT initial applications. The removal of the notary option for initial applications is a significant inconvenience as this requires people who work to take time off from that job to deliver the application in person. I'm an instructor and personally delivered many applications to the Fairfax and Prince William county courthouses. Can't do that anymore.

johnfenter

In some localities...

...(Virginia Beach for example) the clerk for the police headquarters has an agreement with the Circuit Court Clerk to accept applications with payment in the Precinct lobby, thus avoiding the need to disarm or remove all metal. Does make for some interesting conversations when you open carry...100% legally...

Also to clarify, the notary option was also repealed, effective July 1, 2017. Resident applicants must take their application in person to the clerk of the court in their county of residence.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
...(Virginia Beach for example) the clerk for the police headquarters has an agreement with the Circuit Court Clerk to accept applications with payment in the Precinct lobby, thus avoiding the need to disarm or remove all metal. Does make for some interesting conversations when you open carry...100% legally...

Also to clarify, the notary option was also repealed, effective July 1, 2017. Resident applicants must take their application in person to the clerk of the court in their county of residence.

Taking the application in person can be a real PITA for some.

Would be far better to have an either/or option - mail with seal or in person. There is a benefit to going in person - one can get a copy (dated when received) of the submitted application for proof later when activating the 45 day stipulation - issuance of the de facto permit.

Last edited: