• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your best response to an anti

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Offer your favorite retort to an anti - whether your personal best shot or just one of which you have heard/read.

Mine:
A man complaining about the equipment on my belt.

"Well sir, your wife/gf is equipped to be a prostitute, but I hardly think that is the test. I judge people by their actions, not their appearance."

B

Bikenut

Open carry does offer opportunities to good conversations and not so good conversations. My best retort to a belligerent anti gunner....

If someone came in and started shooting up the place YOU would be the first to hide behind me.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I had a anti state loudly aren't you worried about some one taking that from you.

Normally I try and engage in a reasonable conversation but we were standing in the check out line with many people behind us.

I was also in the middle of a plumbing project.

I just turned and said that would be a very dangerous thing to do. His jaw dropped.

I paid for my purchase noticed the other people and the clerk who knows me just smile.

I then left to finish my project.

Wstar425

I seem to get two questions repeatedly, and have standard answers. I’m more than willing to discuss, if you can be civil. Further discussion running about 50/50.

Do you REALLY need to carry that gun (here)?
My reply: I certainly HOPE not.

Why do you carry a gun?
My reply: I believe I am responsible for my own safety. Who’s responsible for your safety?

They often say: The police, that’s why we have the police, etc.
My reply: Where are they?

I try my best to not mention the NRA, the Second Amendment, or my Rights in any initial conversation. There is a place for that, but it’s not my preferred starting point. When people comment on me exercising my Second Amendment I’ll often say “My First as well, I’m making a statement”.......If burning the Flag, stomping on the Flag and such is exercising a First Amendment Right, I see no reason why carrying a firearm would not be one as well.

I NEVER use the word gun, ALWAYS firearm, but that’s what people use generally when asking about one. I’m NEVER the first person in a conversation to mention my firearm. My rules for me. I guess I haven’t encountered a true Anti in a while, mostly inquisitive people I’d say.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Why do you have to carry that gun here?

I carry it so no one tries to stop you from asking me that question.

The answer usually goes over their heads.

Last edited:

1911LVR

I usually reply "I'm trying to make sure the good-guys outnumber the bad-guys". Most people I run into like that response.

sota

Why are you carrying a gun?

They're easier and cheaper to keep around than a police officer.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When asked the "Why are you carrying a gun" q....."Have you seen how good looking my wife is?? I protect her."
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Sometimes the best response to insult is to just let the agitator stew in their own juice.

Note that we are not talking about a deadly threat here.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I seem to get two questions repeatedly, and have standard answers. I’m more than willing to discuss, if you can be civil. Further discussion running about 50/50.

Do you REALLY need to carry that gun (here)?
My reply: I certainly HOPE not.

Why do you carry a gun?
My reply: I believe I am responsible for my own safety. Who’s responsible for your safety?

They often say: The police, that’s why we have the police, etc.
My reply: Where are they?

I try my best to not mention the NRA, the Second Amendment, or my Rights in any initial conversation. There is a place for that, but it’s not my preferred starting point. When people comment on me exercising my Second Amendment I’ll often say “My First as well, I’m making a statement”.......If burning the Flag, stomping on the Flag and such is exercising a First Amendment Right, I see no reason why carrying a firearm would not be one as well.

I NEVER use the word gun, ALWAYS firearm, but that’s what people use generally when asking about one. I’m NEVER the first person in a conversation to mention my firearm. My rules for me. I guess I haven’t encountered a true Anti in a while, mostly inquisitive people I’d say.

I was talking to a couple of waitresses one time (ladies' room) and they asked me why I carried. I asked "Have you ever had to call the police for a violent customer?" When they said "yes", I asked "How long did it take them to get here?"

Lights came on for both those ladies.

Wstar425

When asked the "Why are you carrying a gun" q....."Have you seen how good looking my wife is?? I protect her."

I sometimes say “I’m traveling with one of the three most important women in the world.” And leave it at that.

My mother was not fond of me open carrying, or guns at all really. On a trip to Indiana I said that to a gas station cashier, not realizing my Mother was within hearing distance. She never said anything to me, but I later heard she was sort of bragging me up to some of her friends about it. She has not said one word either way about it the last couple of years. From originally asking me to not bring a gun into her house, that’s quite a step I’d say.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I was talking to a couple of waitresses one time (ladies' room) and they asked me why I carried. I asked "Have you ever had to call the police for a violent customer?" When they said "yes", I asked "How long did it take them to get here?"

Lights came on for both those ladies.

Excellent thinking. Know thy audience. :)