• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sigh - PVC with Sacha Baron Cohen

WalkingWolf

If PVC had used a Red Ryder BB gun, or the Mattel Agent Zero Radio and Gun vs. Gunny Bunny you might have a point. But PVC did not use the a fore mentioned toy guns he used Gunny Bunny.

I did use a toy gun to train my kids, a 1938 Red Ryder BB gun, not nearly as scary as the Mattel Agent Zero Radio and Gun.

Well I don't see the apocalypse you see, not only did we use squirt guns by dolls designed for boys came with guns. I would find the outrage humorous if I did not think it was sooo very ignorant. Props are a common practice to get the very young attention, ya know child photographers use them all the time. That was all it was a PROP, but one designed to get YOUR attention, not children. It worked, you succeeded in making yourself into a victim of your own design.

I had teachers in school drop books on the floor to wake up students nodding off. Sounded very much like a gunshot, today namby pamby folks would cry out for the lynching of such a teacher. At the very least they would demand the teacher fired, shame on them.

OC for ME

Well I don't see the apocalypse you see, not only did we use squirt guns by dolls designed for boys came with guns. I would find the outrage humorous if I did not think it was sooo very ignorant. Props are a common practice to get the very young attention, ya know child photographers use them all the time. That was all it was a PROP, but one designed to get YOUR attention, not children. It worked, you succeeded in making yourself into a victim of your own design.

I had teachers in school drop books on the floor to wake up students nodding off. Sounded very much like a gunshot, today namby pamby folks would cry out for the lynching of such a teacher. At the very least they would demand the teacher fired, shame on them.
PVC knew something was up 5 minutes into that interview. Before the Gunny Bunny skit. PVC had his chance to deny SBC his goal by leaving...PVC chose poorly.

I do not use props to teach safe handling and use of firearms. Unless, of course, a 1938 Red Ryder BB gun is considered a prop. Others may have a different approach to firearms training for kids.

OC for ME

I concede that different techniques exist for training kids in the safe handling of firearms. No one way is the right way, as long as the kids learns the safe way.

Some folks are focused on the Gunny Bunny prop, and not the impact, the visual, the optics, the perception, of PVC using a Gunny Bunny as a prop will have on VCDL's message and future efforts.

I remain unconvinced that PVC should be held harmless for this incident given his public comments linked to in this thread and the other thread.

WalkingWolf

PVC knew something was up 5 minutes into that interview. Before the Gunny Bunny skit. PVC had his chance to deny SBC his goal by leaving...PVC chose poorly.

I do not use props to teach safe handling and use of firearms. Unless, of course, a 1938 Red Ryder BB gun is considered a prop. Others may have a different approach to firearms training for kids.

You have never used a prop(stuffed animal) to quiet a crying infant?

The Truth

Why is it such a novel concept that pretending guns are toys is absolutely IDIOTIC???!? Completely bass ackwards way to teach kids about gun safety. There is no humor in teaching a small child gun safety. Did any of the folks lambasting the lambasters ever think that perhaps that is the root disagreement aside from the obvious political suicide? If you have to make a gun look like a stuffed animal to get your kid's attention then there's a good chance your kid is too young to be learning gun safety.

Children should have a healthy fear of guns, bottom line. They should be taught about adult issues with adult terminology, communication, and respect. Not this hot garbage "joke."

solus

You need to be a bit more specific, because in the event that you are calling for infanticide I'm pretty sure that is some kind of violation of site rules.

Snipped your cut and paste self-serving photo [oh wait isn’t that what you are complaining was Cohen’s modus operandi in his scams?]

So T, how on earth, in your illustrious mind, did you leap to the term infanticide from another members innocuous comment regarding calming an infant with a favored item.

And yet you have the audacity to insinuate members of this forum in your post 62, quote: I absolutely do believe that some of you are without question unhinged.... unquote http://vb.opencarry.org/forums/show...-from-the-VCDL-I-am-still-a-member-of-the-NRA

You seem to be exhibiting unusual and singularly fixated behaviour on this issue contrived by a showman who duped numerous nationally recognized citizens for ‘entertainment’.

Perhaps, The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why is it such a novel concept that pretending guns are toys is absolutely IDIOTIC???!? Completely bass ackwards way to teach kids about gun safety. There is no humor in teaching a small child gun safety. Did any of the folks lambasting the lambasters ever think that perhaps that is the root disagreement aside from the obvious political suicide? If you have to make a gun look like a stuffed animal to get your kid's attention then there's a good chance your kid is too young to be learning gun safety.

Children should have a healthy fear of guns, bottom line. They should be taught about adult issues with adult terminology, communication, and respect. Not this hot garbage "joke."
Change "healthy fear" to read 'healthy respect" and i would agree.

solus

Ah, first children [>7-8yo], substantiated through decades of numerous scholarly, peer reviewed, viable, and repeatable research studies, have shown children have varying cognitive learning skills where every child is capable of learning and then are unable to consistently replicate their learned skills through demonstrating as well as exhibiting the learned behavior previously taught.

Educator’s throughout the world have attempted various learning modalities to discern this magic period when unconditional learning occurs for a child and to date there is no consensus any exact age exists.

Think back to the concept of eons of Momma’s telling their offspring...do not touch that, stove, iron, etc., and yet the child reaches out and touches the stove, iron, etc., burns their finger and Momma says see told ya!

Therefore, the entire conversation(s) about teaching children, who for the most part completely lack the capability to exhibit cognitive concrete learning, about firearm handling is a frustrating endeavor for all concerned and basically an unattainable goal.

Last edited:

HP995

You need to be a bit more specific, because in the event that you are calling for infanticide

So T, how on earth, in your illustrious mind, did you leap to the term infanticide from another members innocuous comment regarding calming an infant with a favored item.

Yes, that was way off. No need to be more specific, because no reason to choose such a radical killer interpretation for a perfectly normal statement. That's more like movies or video games. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean going full conspiracy theory.

WalkingWolf

"It’s simply common sense that kids love plush toys. But… Why?"

According to an article from Parents.com called First Friends: Toddlers and Stuffed Animals, “because kids know that a plush puppy or a princess doll represents a living thing, they can relate and attach emotions to it. Playing with these ‘friends’ allows kids to explore their complex feelings.”

https://www.fatbraintoys.com/play/2017/3/the_importance_of_plush_toys_in_your_childs_life.cfm The Importance of Plush Toys In Your Child's Life

I suggest reading the whole article, I am sure that Sacha is too stupid to realize that stuffed animals play a basic part in child development, as it appears that many people are ignorant of how important the use of them are. Even police keep stuffed animals in the trunk who interview children on a regular basis.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"It’s simply common sense that kids love plush toys. But… Why?"

According to an article from Parents.com called First Friends: Toddlers and Stuffed Animals, “because kids know that a plush puppy or a princess doll represents a living thing, they can relate and attach emotions to it. Playing with these ‘friends’ allows kids to explore their complex feelings.”

https://www.fatbraintoys.com/play/2017/3/the_importance_of_plush_toys_in_your_childs_life.cfm The Importance of Plush Toys In Your Child's Life

I suggest reading the whole article, I am sure that Sacha is too stupid to realize that stuffed animals play a basic part in child development, as it appears that many people are ignorant of how important the use of them are. Even police keep stuffed animals in the trunk who interview children on a regular basis.
Problem is pedophiles have discovered this also - maybe they originated it.

WalkingWolf

Problem is pedophiles have discovered this also - maybe they originated it.

Yes they do use the tactic, but also do many other legitimate professions from medical, police, education. Many people are not aware that using props are, and have been professionally used to communicate with the very young. I doubt the Showtime knew that it is accepted practice they just thought it was a good idea to use it to try to entrap some people. Not sure if PVC has a background in the use of stuffed animals for communication, but it could be the reason he went along with it. If people would do research before going over the deep end they would not look so silly.

Added Cohen may be facing charges for impersonation of a US veteran, not sure if the govt of Israel is also going to indict him, or not. I hope so, there should be consequences.

OC for ME

Nope. Checked diaper, checked for gas (burp), checked for fever, checked for hunger. If non-of the above I let him cry himself to sleep. Contrary to the "it takes a village" crowd my boys did not manifest any snowflake traits.

OC for ME

Therefore, the entire conversation(s) about teaching children, who for the most part completely lack the capability to exhibit cognitive concrete learning, about firearm handling is a frustrating endeavor for all concerned and basically an unattainable goal.
Bush-league-psychout-stuff! Shrinks wouldn't know how to train a kid if their life depended on it. I trained my kids about guns like I train my dogs to hunt a duck. Heck, if my dog hand thumbs I could have trained him to do my duck hunting for me.

OC for ME

I did not buy my boys stuffed animals. Like my daddy did to me I did to my boys. I took them outdoors, into the woods and swamps of South Carolina. Know the land that gives you life, my daddy taught me. Respect the land that gives you life and the land will provide for you, my daddy taught me. Be a good family man, be a good friend, be a good neighbor, respect the law, my daddy taught me. Do the best you can, that is all anyone should expect, my daddy taught me.

I taught my kids what my daddy taught me, the things I learned from my daddy's peers, and those things I learned on my own. My growing up times are not unique among my peers...sadly becoming more rare among my kid's peers. I am confident (fingers crossed) that my boys will raise their kids as I raised them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I did not buy my boys stuffed animals. Like my daddy did to me I did to my boys. I took them outdoors, into the woods and swamps of South Carolina. Know the land that gives you life, my daddy taught me. Respect the land that gives you life and the land will provide for you, my daddy taught me. Be a good family man, be a good friend, be a good neighbor, respect the law, my daddy taught me. Do the best you can, that is all anyone should expect, my daddy taught me.

I taught my kids what my daddy taught me, the things I learned from my daddy's peers, and those things I learned on my own. My growing up times are not unique among my peers...sadly becoming more rare among my kid's peers. I am confident (fingers crossed) that my boys will raise their kids as I raised them.
With sincerity, dedication and perseverance.

Not only does the apple not fall far from the tree, but the tree stands not far from where the apple fell.

WalkingWolf

Prime example. Appreciate the link.

+1

One of my early cases was a 13 year old who hid in a closet while a home invader ransacked the home. He had his hunting bow in the closet, when the invader opened the closet door he was greeted with a broadhead to the chest. This kid started shooting a bow when he was very very young, and the bow he started with was a bow that designed to appeal to young children.