Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic Rules

Basic Rules

Can we get the 'C' word that rhymes with glock unblocked? It comes up quite a bit in this board. Maybe this has already been discussed and decided against, but I didn't see anything.

Thanks.

kittyhawk63
    Can we get some posted rules to stop members from using foul language...abbreviations of foul language...words describing sexual body parts? There should be no references to the "F" word or sexual terms denoting body parts. This forum should be run professionally and the members who post should act accordingly. Most members who post uphold decency in their writing. Please, let's clean up OCDO.

I am trying to upload an avatar and it keeps saying it isn't a valid file. It's within size, any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Glock View Post
    I am trying to upload an avatar and it keeps saying it isn't a valid file. It's within size, any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
    sorry wish I could help, I'm not good with computers. I had that same problem before,I just used another pic.

try "right click" on the avatar click "rename" and make sure it is a .jpg or .jpeg file and see if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by kittyhawk63 View Post
    Can we get some posted rules to stop members from using foul language...abbreviations of foul language...words describing sexual body parts? There should be no references to the "F" word or sexual terms denoting body parts. This forum should be run professionally and the members who post should act accordingly. Most members who post uphold decency in their writing. Please, let's clean up OCDO.
    Agreed. In addition to their being no controls to prevent disclosure of content to minors or even young children, the use of such language reflects poorly on our professionalism and our cause.
    Last edited by since9; 05-11-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Banned
    Rule concerning long gun carry should be dropped.....the reasons given in the basic rule explanation are bogus and false..plus there is an exception ?? what??

Banned
    Professionalism!!!! What a joke.........People are constantly being attacked, and nothing is done about it. Just like the rest of the blog sites....the attacked get the boot, while the attackers go free...........what a waste of time.

You're violating rule 10

You have an ad for a gun raffle.

(10) WE DO NOT ALLOW "FOR SALE/TRADE" OR RAFFLE ADS: We use Google Ads to help cover the expenses of the forum and their rules specifically disallow the sale of firearms, ammo and accessories (including the raffle of such).Attachment 8732

Oh crap, and a gun ad. Attachment 8733
    Last edited by sharkey; 06-30-2012 at 04:37 AM.

Reporting posts

So how do we report posts that are off topic (violating rule #8)?
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Click the little Alert icon on the post in question. (See image below)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HowToReport.png 
Views:	288 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	8864
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Language rights.

I understand that to keep a discussion professional swearing is looked down on but as a veteran who thinks that Illinois gun laws are unconstitutional I also believe that using swear words is a right and trying to censor use of them is unconstitutional. I use swearing to emphasize a sentence and although some will look down on it, it is my use of free speech. You can't defend just one right. Respond and let me know what you think.
    Last edited by knivezrev6; 07-31-2012 at 07:01 PM.

*sigh*
    The Constitution only limits the government, not private entities. This forum is a private entity, and as such can impose its own rules on conduct. Basically, your right to free speech does not trump the property owner's rights to restrict actions on his/her property.

If you come into my house, I can (and will) require that you watch your tongue and not swear around my family. You can claim "rights" all you wish, but it's my house, my rules.

Same goes for this forum. The owner has chosen to eliminate certain forms of conduct he deems unbecoming, and that's the end of the story.

I understand you won't allow swearing in your home, I don't allow it around my daughter, but reading the 18 rules there is not one that says no swearing. If a 19th rule is established that describes what we can and can not say then swearing is on the table. Sorry if you don't like it but that's the way it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers View Post
    *sigh*

If you come into my house, I can (and will) require that you watch your tongue and not swear around my family.
    ".....or else I will trespass you from the property. I can't deny you your inalienable rights, but I CAN deny your presence on my property. Feel free to exercise your rights from the sidewalk."

There, I got that for you.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    You have an ad for a gun raffle.

(10) WE DO NOT ALLOW "FOR SALE/TRADE" OR RAFFLE ADS: We use Google Ads to help cover the expenses of the forum and their rules specifically disallow the sale of firearms, ammo and accessories (including the raffle of such).Attachment 8732

Oh crap, and a gun ad. Attachment 8733
    I've been wondering the same.

I'm fine with the no sales rule. Your website, your rules. But I would like to see it more uniformly applied, :-)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by knivezrev6 View Post
    .... If a 19th rule is established that describes what we can and can not say then swearing is on the table. Sorry if you don't like it but that's the way it goes.
    Keep that up and a moderator will be around to show you the way to the egress.

If you are the sort of person who needs to have each and every thing spelled out in columns of what you can and what you cannot do, then I suggest you go find a board that operates that way. My experience, although limited, suggests that the majority of such boards are affilliated with liberal/progressive politics.

AFAIK the issue of swearing/not swearing is not addressed via a rule because the users here have been able to self-moderate to the point that John or Mike have not seen the need to step in and publish a rule to cover the issue. If you feel it is necessary to ask them for a ruling on the matter you can do so. If you feel you can tell them that if they have not made a rule against swearing (or anything else) you must be allowed to do it then I want to get your autographed picture - I didn't know that there was a new Superman.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Originally Posted by knivezrev6

.... If a 19th rule is established that describes what we can and can not say then swearing is on the table. Sorry if you don't like it but that's the way it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Keep that up and a moderator will be around to show you the way to the egress.

If you are the sort of person who needs to have each and every thing spelled out in columns of what you can and what you cannot do, then I suggest you go find a board that operates that way. My experience, although limited, suggests that the majority of such boards are affilliated with liberal/progressive politics.

AFAIK the issue of swearing/not swearing is not addressed via a rule because the users here have been able to self-moderate to the point that John or Mike have not seen the need to step in and publish a rule to cover the issue. If you feel it is necessary to ask them for a ruling on the matter you can do so. If you feel you can tell them that if they have not made a rule against swearing (or anything else) you must be allowed to do it then I want to get your autographed picture - I didn't know that there was a new Superman.

stay safe.
    See no need to have the equivalent of Robert's Rules. We have a simpler control:
    "RIGHT TO EDIT AND DELETE POSTS: We reserve the right to edit or remove posts for any reason, at any time, at our sole discretion." It is also not a requirement that judgement calls be delineated or defended.

Any doubt/confusion should be removed when notice is given. Establishment and enforcement of the rules is not subject to a vote.

That is the way it is.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-17-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

There have been some recent threads being locked in Michigan because there were deemed "off topic" when the conversation shifted. No where in the rules does it say a thread cannot follow a natural path away from the OP. Why is it paramount a thread not explore additional lines off thinking in a natural way? Must every thread be cut abruptly and a new thread started if the topic shifts?

The only rule I see about "on topic" doesn't seem to apply to my scenario. Please explain.

(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

Basic Rules

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    There have been some recent threads being locked in Michigan because there were deemed "off topic" when the conversation shifted. No where in the rules does it say a thread cannot follow a natural path away from the OP. Why is it paramount a thread not explore additional lines off thinking in a natural way? Must every thread be cut abruptly and a new thread started if the topic shifts?

The only rule I see about "on topic" doesn't seem to apply to my scenario. Please explain.

(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.
    Your threads are being closed because you're launching subtle personal attacks and arguing with a moderator when he tells you to knock it off. If you don't like it here, then go elsewhere. This really isn't a topic for a public thread. If you have an issue with moderation then PM Administrator and handle it that way.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 09-12-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Your threads are being closed because you're launching subtle personal attacks and arguing with a moderator when he tell you to knock it off. If you don't like it here, the go elsewhere. This really isn't a topic for a public thread. If you have an issue with moderation then PM Administrator and handle it that way.
    Well aren't you friendly. Grapeshot said this was the place to discuss rules. Sorry.

"The discussion of Forum Rules belongs in the following thread where it may be seen and shared with all states equally - it's not just Michigan related.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...46#post1810046

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey"

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    Well aren't you friendly. Grapeshot said this was the place to discuss rules. Sorry.

--snipped--
    Telling part of the story and not all of it is at best deceiving the reader. Your not so subtle personal attacks and refusal to accept moderation is the problem.

"Discussion" does not include promoting a personal agenda in opposition to the standards of the forum, especially after such was made very clear to you.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

So.....

Quote Originally Posted by knivezrev6 View Post
    I understand that to keep a discussion professional swearing is looked down on but as a veteran who thinks that Illinois gun laws are unconstitutional I also believe that using swear words is a right and trying to censor use of them is unconstitutional. I use swearing to emphasize a sentence and although some will look down on it, it is my use of free speech. You can't defend just one right. Respond and let me know what you think.
    ....I'm totally new here, what was the final decision on this topic.
    Thanks

Basic Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
    ....I'm totally new here, what was the final decision on this topic.
    Thanks
    I'm not sure that there was an official response but swear words are heavily frowned upon here. They are simply not necessary or appropriate on this forum. Just don't do it. And remember Rule 2:

(2) RIGHT TO EDIT AND DELETE POSTS: We reserve the right to edit or remove posts for any reason, at any time, at our sole discretion.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast