• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Open Carry Law / Statute

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I seen various postings about printing and carrying the law in regards to Open Carry. This is for the purpose of having it to prove you are legal, etc, if need be. Now, I've never quite been able to pull that verbage out of the Virginia Statute. Can't find it... All types of references as to what, where and how NOT to do something. Any help on this?:?

DoubleR

VAopencarry

imported post

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in this area.

I wouldn't worry about it. The police in Virginia seem to be well informed about the right to Open Carry.... I don't think any officer would accept a piece of paper printed out from some guys computer, quoting state laws, shrug his shoulders and say , OK I won't arrest you. jmo

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Virginia law is silent on the matter of open carry of firearms. As you pointed out, the laws of the commonwealth are designed to indicate those things that are regulated or prohibited. Anything not specifically prohibited or regulated is permitted. Hence, open carry is permitted.

If you really want something to print and carry, VCDL has a letter from the VA State Police about the legality of open carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. In this letter, Lt Kimmler states:
... the direct answers to your two questions are contained in the language of § 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia. Paragraph A of that section notes that only weapons "hidden from common observation" may not be carried in the Commonwealth.
I hope this helps.

John

VApatriot

imported post

John has it right. In Virginia we actually have some real rights, rights that are there whether the government says so or not. Open carry (and some of us would argue concealed carry) is a humanright that is not granted in the law by the government, and therefor can not be taken way by the government. At least that is how the Founding Fathers would haveviewed it.

GlockMan

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
John has it right. In Virginia we actually have some real rights, rights that are there whether the government says so or not. Open carry (and some of us would argue concealed carry) is a humanright that is not granted in the law by the government, and therefor can not be taken way by the government. At least that is how the Founding Fathers would haveviewed it.

On that same note, in general, all the laws, state and federal, according to how the Founding Fathers set it up, are only designed to expicitly state what you cannot do. The laws of this country were never designed to "allow" you to do something.

Therefore, if it is not explicitly prohibited by law, then you have the RIGHT to do it. Note, that I did not say, you are "allowed'. The government does not "allow" the people to do anything, the people "allow" the government to do things.

Contemporary thought seems to have that backwards. If they taught it properly in our public schools, most people would understand that. Of course, the schools are run by the government now, so....

VApatriot

imported post

Well, I for one didn't get my education from a government school. I was educated at home by my mother and Rush Limbaugh.:D

And oh BTW, we had guns in the school building.:shock: