• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry initiatives

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From what I read about TX, this would be a good time to start pushing for OC. If the Rifle Association is the largest rights org. in TX, you could see about having them set up a committee to do just what VCDL does here in VA.

You have had concealed carry long enough to prove the liberals wrong about the supposed horrors of that form of self defense, so now you can move on to the next phase. It took decades for the leftists to whittle away at our rights; we have only started to incrementally build them back up.

Best of luck.

44Brent

imported post

Your first task will be to convince TSRA of the importance of open carry, and not the legislature. I recall seeing some e-mail correspondence between TSRA and an individual a few years back in which a TSRA board member stated that there was not a "problem" with the ban onopen carry.

This may require some sort of web site dedicated to lobbying for changes at TSRA to become more pro-active in promoting gun rights.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

Hello everybody. I'm new to the forum. I just recently moved to Arizona from Texas. I'm a born-n-bred Texas Panhandle cowboy but came to AZ for a 2-year job contract.I've been CC in Texas since it started. What a great privilege to be able to exercise the OCright in Arizona! I've met a lot of folks here who support and practice OC. It would be great to continue to OC in Texas when I get home in a couple of years. Count me IN on any initiative to promote OC in Texas. I'll round up signatures and/or help in any way possible.

Thanks a lot!

Arizona-Texan

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

44Brent wrote:
Your first task will be to convince TSRA of the importance of open carry, and not the legislature. I recall seeing some e-mail correspondence between TSRA and an individual a few years back in which a TSRA board member stated that there was not a "problem" with the ban onopen carry.

This may require some sort of web site dedicated to lobbying for changes at TSRA to become more pro-active in promoting gun rights.

I think your chances of them getting on this particular bandwagon are very slim.

The TSRA is the NRA affiliate and NRA state affiliates tend to toe the NRA line. And the NRA is barely CC friendly much less OC friendly.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

I still believe in the grass-roots approach. You have to start somewhere. Sitting back and saying "it can't be done" has never been my way. It may be we will get nowhere but I still think it would be worth the effort. What I hear from my Texas friends is that maybe it's just not generally that much of an issue. Whereas in Arizona, they take it seriously and its a "use it or lose it" philosophy. Those I've talked to here in AZ believe that the possibility exists if they don't exercise their right to bear arms openly then they could eventually lose the privilege. Since Texans have never had the privilege (in recent history) maybe they are more complacent. There is a contingent (that's alive and well) out there that actively seeks and supports the disarming of all private citizens - open or concealed. Its happened with lots of other rights. We lost them because the "silent majority" didn't speak out against thosewho would take our rights away.

Arizona-Texan

EagleFiveZero

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Does TX have any statewide organization like Virginia's VCDL? A grassroots organization like that can be incredibly effective at funneling effort in the right way and the right direction.

I think you're nowthe FIRST MEMBER of the TCDL. The VCDL as a grassroots organization was (and remains) a top-quality example of "how to do it right". I hope Texas folks will jump on the bandwagon and do more than just talk about it.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

What do you think fellow Texans??? How many Texans are members of this forum? I'm sure all of us have friends that we could recruit to support the cause! We could start an email campaign and see how much interest there is out there. Any of you folks have ideas? Come on y'all.

Arizona-Texan

TC-TX

imported post

I am TOTALLY on board and TOTALLY Committed to Training, Education and Getting The Message Out...

I just need to know HOW TO GET STARTED...

Start a TCDL? (how?)

Get a Campaign Rolling state-wide? (how?)

Suggestions?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You might want to go to VCDL.org and email Philip Van Cleave, to see if he can give you some pointers on how to start out. I would love to see the day when all the states have organizations like that. Of course, along the way, many leftwing heads would explode......not that that's a bad thing.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

I suggest we (Texans) start by emailing (or contacting) everyone we know and see how much support we might have for an Open Carry Initiative and ask them if they would they be interested in participating in a grassroots organization similar to the Virgina Citizens Defense League (VCDL). Here's the website address for VCDL: http://www.vcdl.org/

Mr. Van Cleave, the President of VCDL is a former Texas Sheriff Deputy. I will take the lead in contacting him and see what pointers he can give us. Then I'll communicate back to the group.

I find only about 1/2 dozen Texans on this forum. This is no surprise since Texas does not have OC.I wouldn't be here if I hadn't moved to Arizona from Texas. But we need to spread the word about this forum to our Texas friends. I see there are a lot of folks that do not divulge their location. I'm asking all Texans who read this forum to get together and get behind this thing. The history of Texas is not to roll over and play dead. Remember the Alamo? Remember San Jacinto? If you don't want to post your location or email address openly on this forum then you can email me privately. I will start assembling a roster and run some statistics as the info comes in. If there is enough interest I can put up a website. (My wife is a web designer.) My work contract in Arizona ends in two years and then I'll be back home. I'd like to think we will have made some progress by then.

Please feel free to email me privately if you have any concerns or questions you don't want to list publicly on this forum.

Thank you in advance to everyone who will join with us to promote a grassroots initiative to Carry Open in Texas.

Arizona-Texan

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

All right you guys! I started the ball rolling. I emailed a letter to Mr. Van Cleave. I have also emailed a dozen of my friends in Texas asking them to join us and to contact their friends and solicit their help. I'll start an email contact list and contact all of the respondents personally and provide them with more info and answer any questions. I'll also start working on an ad - something catchy - to start sending out via email to those that are interested. Any suggestions for the content of the ad will be most welcome! I'll also let you know when I get a response from Mr. Van Cleave. If we generate enough interest I'll put up a website and we'll go from there. There will be no cost to anyone. I'll assume the cost and the responsibility for now until such time as we get organized and elect officers. So all ya'll get out there and start emailing your friends and family members. Ask them if they would be interested in being a part of the First Texas Open Carry Initiative. Either have them email me or you give me their names and email addresses and I'll send them an email with more info. I seriously need your help with this! I can't do it alone - but together we can - I believe it! As always - if you have any personal questions about me or why I'm doing this, please feel free to email me privately.

Arizona-Texan

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

Thanks a lot for all the well wishes and the support. I've already received several responses to my emails I sent out this past weekend - and the response is an overwhelming "YES!" I've also had several good suggestions. One is the need for lots and lots of signatures on a petition. As we get up and running with the website I'll post a signature link. In the meantime keep getting email names and addresses to me so I can start building a mailing list. One of my contacts said he was sure there had been previous attempts in Texas. I'm going to try to follow up on this lead and maybe we can learn from their mistakes.

Talk it up!

Arizona-Texan

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

I'm getting a lot of positive comments and supporters. I'm working on a poster to email out to anyone interested in distributing it either via email or printing it out and posting it in your local gun club, shooting range, or gun shop. I'll also be setting up a supporter data base and we'll probably start working on the website this weekend. Keep the emails coming guys!

Thanks a lot.

Arizona-Texan

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

I had a nice lengthy conversation today with Mr. Van Cleave. He was very forth coming with lots of sound advise and encouragement.

Fellow Texans - we can do this!

It isn't going to be easy and we need as much help as we can get. We need to keep diligently working on our base of support. I'll be sending out a poster describing what we are doing and why that you can share with everyone you can think of. Mr. Van Cleave has graciously offered to proof it for me before we send it out and make suggestions, etc. Hopefully I'll finish it this weekend or first of next week. My wife and I will be in Arizona CCW class all day tomorrow - but I'll do the best I can.

Thanks again for all your suggestions, help, and support. Please keep it coming!

Arizona-Texan