• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greenville Area

ProtectMd

imported post

you think thats something, come try open carrying down in Jacksonville, N.C. I know your stationed up there at Cherry Point around the air station area, but down in Jacksonville, its a different story, alot more uneducated people once again. You should see the looks you get at a gas station and whatnot.

My friend had a recent incident at the Onslow County Sheriffs office. I told him and his wife to go down there to get fingerprinted for the purpose of getting a concealed Carry Permit through the state of Florida. He went down there and attempted to get him and his wife fingerprinted and they asked him what for, and he told them, and they tried to tell him that it was illegal and all this other B.S. He's stationed at camp Lejeune, and he asked to see the law. The officer there apparently scrounged around for awhile and eventually pulled something up off of the website from alaska or something crazy, anyway, the officer was unable to provide any actual evidence where it said that that sort of thing is illegal in the Onslow County/Jacksonville City area. Anyway he got mad, gave up and left. I told him to attempt to go to Jacksonville City Police department to get fingerprinted so he's going to try that. He stated that the Sheriff of Onslow County didn't want marines walking aroudn with guns and the sort and they tried to tell him its illegal for members of the military to carry guns or own guns there.

There is a thinking on the Eastern Part of N.C. After hearing that, I had half of a mind to go down there and attempt to get fingerprinted for the same reason, just to see what would happen. I had half of a mind to go down there and bring some printed out laws with me in the attempt to educate the good sheriff of Onslow county and instruct him and his deputies on the law, but I honestly didn't or haven't yet because im sure he would attempt to arrest me for disorderly conduct or something stupid, and i'd rather not get into trouble with the military right now since im so close to getting out. I am thinking about going up there and attempting to do the same thing at some point with a blank fingerprint card just to see what kind of flak I get if any, and if I do, I think I might call the attorney General of NC or something to that effect. I don't know yet.

Jacksonville City Police Department however does do fingerprint cards required for concealed weapons carrying licenses. I did not have a problem when I went and got my prints done there and the police officer was very polite and professional. She did the prints and told me good luck with it.

All in all, I think its who you come across in N.C. The citizens are a mix of half and half as far as open carry, concealed carry adn guns in general. The police are the same way. There are alot of nasty cops though out there on this edge of N.C. that really despise the military.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah I'm definately open carrying in jacksonville as much as I can, now. I'm getting really fed up with stupid ignorant anti-gun and anti-military jerks. I have actually open carried a little bit in jacksonville already, and haven't received any flak as of yet. I'm just waiting on my concealed carry permit to come in and I'll be open carrying as much as I can...especially down in that area, since they apparently want to be stupid.

ProtectMd

imported post

Are you familiar with the VCDL and whatnot? anyway we should start our own OC club down here. I applied for an Out of state Florida CCW. I have some friends who open carry sometimes here, haven't had any LEO encounters yet but im sure its coming at some point.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

That sounds like a really good idea. I'll tell ya right now the first rule is no dumbasses. You tell the wrong guy he can carry a gun anywhere (with exceptions) and he goes and gets himself in trouble within 10 minutes.

ProtectMd

imported post

Your right. I think the key to doing this sort of thing is to dress and carry yourself professionally, as well as being highly educated on the law and what is and isn't legal within the state of N.C. as well as having printouts of the laws being carried around in cars and whatnot, I have no doubt that the police will definately be involved at some point with that sort of thing...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I know this is an old thread, but I finally made it over to Greenville to carry. I walked around their mall for like 2 hours, then headed over to Best Buy, before having to put it away to go to the Olive Garden. I never got a single comment or reaction. I got maybe 2 or3 funny looks (including a foriegn looking guy on a bench that stared at me as I walked by), but that is to be expected.

Before we ever went in the mall, we drove by 4-5 different doors to make sure we didn't see any signs. I was honestly expecting SOMETHING to happen...but nope, not a thing.

Oh, and I did strike up conversations with quite a few people..shoppers and employees alike. Some of them glanced down once or twice (as I would if I was talking to an armed person), but they never seemed the least bit nervous.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I'm sure you all know this, and has been cited on this board many times, but remember, the NC Supreme Court has held that open carry is protected by the NC constitution, and no permit may be required by NC or its LOCALITIES to open carry.

The opinions leave open the right of the government to ban open carry of easily concealable handguns, but not full size military style handguns - hence, the Chapel Hill ban on OC of handguns less than "6 inches."

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
I'm sure you all know this, and has been cited on this board many times, but remember, the NC Supreme Court has held that open carry is protected by the NC constitution, and no permit may be required by NC or its LOCALITIES to open carry.

The opinions leave open the right of the government to ban open carry of easily concealable handguns, but not full size military style handguns - hence, the Chapel Hill ban on OC of handguns less than "6 inches."

Mike, out of curiosity, to what were you referencing when you posted that? Good info of course :) but it was out of context to what I just posted, so I'm assuming you were replying to an earlier statement?

:monkey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Mike, out of curiosity, to what were you referencing when you posted that? Good info of course :) but it was out of context to what I just posted, so I'm assuming you were replying to an earlier statement?
Right - ProtectMd's comment indicating conern over open carry legality in NC necessitating carrying of print outs or somthing...not necessary.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Gotcha. You're definately right. It is absolutely protected in the State's constitution (all though it's also absolutely protected in the U.S. Constitution :banghead:). For NC not being a gold carry state, I've really been surprised at the lack of problems I've had since I've started. I've even been afforded the privelage of having a, albeit unloaded, handgun ON MY PERSON while I'm on the Marine Corps base that I'm stationed at.

After a conversation with the Pass and ID folks, during which I explained to them that I almost always carry off base, and that it was inconvenient to have to go all the way home, disarm, then go to base just to pick up some papers, they gave me a pass that allows me to unload and carry on base for short trips.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Gotcha. You're definately right. It is absolutely protected in the State's constitution (all though it's also absolutely protected in the U.S. Constitution :banghead: ). For NC not being a gold carry state, I've really been surprised at the lack of problems I've had since I've started. I've even been afforded the privelage of having a, albeit unloaded, handgun ON MY PERSON while I'm on the Marine Corps base that I'm stationed at.

After a conversation with the Pass and ID folks, during which I explained to them that I almost always carry off base, and that it was inconvenient to have to go all the way home, disarm, then go to base just to pick up some papers, they gave me a pass that allows me to unload and carry on base for short trips.
Do you have to get a new one everytime you go on base or is the one they issued you that one time good for a while?

I would love to get one as sometimes running by the commisary or something would be nice but I can't because I'm packing 10 times out of 10 I'm not at work.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

It's a permanant pass, actually. It's the same piece of paper that they give you if you live in base housing and own firearms. You simply need to "justify" the need. Now, this was Cherry Point, NOT lejeune, and I had to be rather convincing, lol.

I'm actually out of the Corps, now, and as far as I can tell the weapons pass is still good. I simply have to get a day pass every time I want to go on base.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Haven't had a chance...was working 12 hour days for a while. I'm getting a new job here soon, though, so hopefully I'll have more time off. I got a hold of a mossberg 500, too. 7 round mag, and it came with a cruiser grip, but I switched it out with a pistol grip/telescoping stock.

Let me know what the schedule is and I'll see if I can get over to one of them soon.

yonder

imported post

Greenville is a relatively gun-friendly area. I go out there from time to time to go plinking with evil military rifles right behind a buddy's house out by Belvoir. Sometimes a deputy will drive by and wave. Never any trouble. During reloads we can hear people all around shooting, often with semi-auto rifles.

I haven't tried OC'ing around there yet but ought to.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yonder, you're about to be charged with multiple counts of thread necromancy. Just giving you a heads up.:D

yonder

imported post

Ahhh better to consolidate good information into existing threads than clutter the place up with new threads. :) I hadn't checked in here for awhile. I had lots to catch up on. :p