• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Meetings

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Anyone besides me going this Thursday (5/18/06)? We had a real good contingent from opencarry.org last month. We could get a real club going.

TEX1N

imported post

I will be there. Does anyone know anything about the movie Philip is going to be showing?

From the VCDL VA-Alert:
For fun and something different, I am planning on playing the movie "Michael & Me," where Larry Elder pokes Michael Moore in the eye. Trouble is that the movie is 2 hours long, so we will need to start the meeting at 7:30 PM sharp instead of the normal time of 8 PM.

As usual, we will adjourn the meeting at 9:30 PM and head to a local restaurant for continued fellowship, so if you plan on carrying at the restaurant, be prepared to do so openly.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[align=left]VCDL has a meeting this coming Tuesday, May 23rd in Norfolk, at the Marriott. Anybody going?
[/align]

pieceKeeper

imported post

Yes, my wife and I are going to the May 23rd VCDL meeting in Norfolk. As it is a 5+ hour drive for us, we will be staying over at the Raddison, and plan to spend some time in Colonial Williamsburg and Virginia Beach over the next couple days.

The VA Beach restaurant info posted elsewhere on this site will likely help to choose eateries there; does anyone have any info to share about OC/CC in Williamsburg?

Thanks!

pieceKeeper

imported post

FWIW, according to the VCDL announcement of the May 23rd meeting, it is at the Radisson Hotel, not the Marriott:

The Virginia Citizens Defense League will hold a meeting for members
and the general public at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 23rd!

The meeting will be held at the Radisson Hotel, 700 Monticello Avenue
in Norfolk which is across the street from the Norfolk Scope.

Many thanks to Robert Marcus (owner of Bob's Gun and Tackle) who
generously arranged for the room AND refreshments as a donation to
VCDL.

and I have not (yet?) received any notice that the venue was changed.

TEX1N

imported post

pieceKeeper wrote:
...does anyone have any info to share about OC/CC in Williamsburg?

Thanks!
peiceKeeper, look at this PDO post of another guys experience in OCing at Colonial Williamsburg. After reading his post I would highly recommend it! Here is the link (read the post from Chronoshifter):
http://www.packing.org/community/general/listview/11555/#chatitem_101495

The only thing to keep in mind is that there are a lot of National Parks outside of CW, and any sort of carry there isillegal. Just know where the NP's start and you should be fine

-TEX1N

pieceKeeper

imported post

Thanks! The PDO post makes it sound like OC in Colonial Williamsburg would be a hoot, but I'm not sure my wife would welcome the extra attention.

She still bears the emotional scars of our many years in CT, where OC, while not prohibited by any CT statute, is subject to claims by State Police "experts" that they will charge anyone OCing with "breach of the peace".

That said, I will encourage her to read the posts and see what happens. Perhaps I will OC and she will CC - that seems like a "reasonable compromise", right??

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That post at "Packing", concerning OC at Williamsburg,was the greatest read. I could just picture the whole thing.

DoubleR
"You Can't Legistale Human Behavior"

DeerForce1

imported post

I'm hoping to make the meeting in norfolk since i live in Va. Beach & it's very hard to make it to the meetings up in norva. But my daughter has a school program that night & i may be late.

Btw i sent in my application for membership about 8 weeks ago & haven't heard anything back from VCDL. How lang does it normally take for memebership applications to get precessed. I'm not complaining just asking.............................................................................DF1

DeerForce1

imported post

Well it looks like i'll be there tonight. I just found out my daughters class is not in the program tonight. I look forward to meeting some of you. I'm hard to miss 6' tall about 250# with long hair & a big beard. Picture a true redneck & that's me................................................................DF1