• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Experiences

VAopencarry

imported post

5/17 - OC'd at Baskin Robbins on St. Germain, OC'd in the Sunoco up the street, nothing to report.

5/18 - OC'd inside the Valero gas station, in or near King George. nothing to report.

I was exting off 95 at 234/Dumfries, saw a fellow motorcyclist on the shoulder of the ramp. So I stopped to offer assistance. I was wondering what his reaction might be with someone walking up to him on the side of the road, in the dark(10pm). But decided not to disarm before exiting my vehicle.

Talked to him for about 5 minutes, didn't notice any reaction, don't think he even noticed.

VAspringer

imported post

Took a nice motorcycle ride with friends on Saturday. Stopped in Middleburg, Va. Spent time walking around town....Stopped in Safeway (grocery store) also visited several shops....and enjoyed an ice cream cone at a local dairy bar.

Open carried the entire time....no problems,,no negative comments,,,as usual, most folks didn't notice. I always carry when riding my Harley...concealed by a leather jacket when riding but always open carry (when leagal) once the jacket come off.

It takes some getting used to.....but now it's just second nature to me:D

VAopencarry

imported post

5/21/06 - OC'd at Guns and Ammo Warehouse this afternoon. Then headed to Lowes, Sudley Rd, Manassas.

I was in Lowes about 20 minutes, 10 of which were with an employee walking around the store, we even stopped and asked the manager a question, not a single look from anyone, that I noticed.

OC'd at Advance Auto Parts and Oriental Express(carry out). Nothing to report.....

VAopencarry

imported post

5/30/06 - OC'd at WalMart and Modell's Sporting Goods in Fair Lakes shopping center. no problems.

5/31/06 - OC'd at the Giant.

JR Ewing

imported post

My Open Carry Experiences...

I just recently started OC, last Monday I was in the Burger King at Zion's Crossroads and got a few 'looks' but no one said anything.

Last night, the wife and I stopped for dinner at the Bob Evans in Winchester, I OC'dand it seemed to me no one even noticed. After we got home, I had to run to a Wa-Wa for milk and OC'd there, no one behind me in line seemed to notice, though this one young girl saw my MilPro PT-140 on my way out of the store and her eyes got as big as saucers.

Cheers,

J.R.

VAopencarry

imported post

JR, Welcome to the wonderful world of Open carry!!

I find it hard to believe but have become convinced most people don't even notice.

VAopencarry

imported post

6/4/06 - OC'd at Target and Modell's, Fair Lakes shopping center. In the parking lot, while unlocking my car door, a woman with 2 small kids walked by and one of the youngsters, about 5-6 years old, say's "Mommy he's got a gun". He stated it as a matter of fact, not in fear or the like.

OC'd at Subway. Walking back to my car I passed a fellow about to enter his vehicle. I noticed him looking at me as I passed by. I could feel his eyes on me as I continued on, when I got to my car door, about 4-5 spaces from him, I looked back at him and he was still looking at me.

It was hard to judge the look on his face because he was wearing sunglasses. But I would say it was bewilderment or amusement, hard to say which. He drove by before I pulled out of my space, his car had Massachusetts tags. I am surprised he didn't run off screaming in horror. :)

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It wouldn't be a bad idea to carry some smelling salts in case some of the poor tourists from PRMA, PRNJ or Chicago get apoplexy or fainting spells!

VAopencarry

imported post

6/6/06 - OC'd at Giant. They have a small bank branch inside, with ATM. Two armored truck guys were there doing something. I realized the potential for a problem and just walked out of their area as quickly as I could. I was within 3 feet of them at my closest, I acted disintereseted to their presence.

44Brent

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
It wouldn't be a bad idea to carry some smelling salts in case some of the poor tourists from PRMA, PRNJ or Chicago get apoplexy or fainting spells!

On my travels through several open carry states I have been to tourist stops where I would see license plates on cars from states which completely prohibit carry. The people from these states did not panic. They were oblivious, did not care, or accepted open carry as being normal

darrel_h

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
6/4/06 - OC'd at Target and Modell's, Fair Lakes shopping center. In the parking lot, while unlocking my car door, a woman with 2 small kids walked by and one of the youngsters, about 5-6 years old, say's "Mommy he's got a gun". He stated it as a matter of fact, not in fear or the like.

OC'd at Subway. Walking back to my car I passed a fellow about to enter his vehicle. I noticed him looking at me as I passed by. I could feel his eyes on me as I continued on, when I got to my car door, about 4-5 spaces from him, I looked back at him and he was still looking at me.

It was hard to judge the look on his face because he was wearing sunglasses. But I would say it was bewilderment or amusement, hard to say which. He drove by before I pulled out of my space, his car had Massachusetts tags. I am surprised he didn't run off screaming in horror. :)
i am from massachusetts myself and take a bit of offense to this statement. not too much, but a little. unfortunately mass is way behind when it comes to owning a firearm and being able to carry. my brother and my father have recently, within the last year or two, both received their ccw permits so i have to say they are getting better about it. i remember a time when the only time you could buy a gun up there was if you were part of some type of gun club. the reason the gentleman was watching you was probably disbelief. as strict as they are up there in good ol' mass, he probably couldn't believe you can just walk around here in va with a gun on your hip and everything be ok. i know i couldn't believe it when i first learned of it. there are still many things you can do here in va that amaze me, like going into a bar while open carrying. when it comes to gun rights, i am very glad to be living in va. unfortunately though i am trying to make my way back up north and it looks like i'll be moving to new hampshire vice mass, if they keep trying to take away the 2nd amendment rights. oh well, new hampshire's a much nicer state anyways.

VAopencarry

imported post

It was just a joke...... I am from Maryland, I know all about restrive gun control. I would have said the same thing if it was MD tags... I too was amazed at the legality of open carry here in VA. LOL I just remembered I still have MD tags on my vehicle.

darrel_h

imported post

not a problem man, i really wasn't that offended. being from mass though i had to stick up for my fellow transplant new englanders. no hard feelings. :dude: