• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio Works on Improving Preemption

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/9242046/detail.html

When it became possible for Ohioans to carry a concealed weapon with a permit, Columbus Mayor Mike Coleman made a move to keep the weapons out of city parks. Some new changes being considered at the statehouse would call for statewide gun laws only, and no city gun laws.

The sponsor of the bill, Rep. Jim Aslanides of Coshocton, said that if gun laws are made only at the state level, gun owners will be better able to be aware of them and comply.

"Because you have a modge-podge of different ordinances that vary from place to place, it becomes confusing and almost impossible to adhere to," Aslanides said.

The much-debated Columbus assault weapons ban would no longer apply if the state legislation passes.

Aslanides said needed laws can be implemented at the state level.

"We're talking about a general law throughout the state that everyone can live with," Aslanides said.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Though this bill is mostly targetted towards concealed carry, the preemption statute will have the effect of nullifying all anti-open carry laws statewide. The only thing that will keep Ohio from becoming a Gold Star open carry state is the requirement to have a CHL in order to have a loaded pistol in your car openly carried on your hip (similar to Washington, Alabama, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire), but that can be worked on after Governor Shaft is out of office.