• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Florida Needs Open Carry

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

http://www.wptv.com/News/052006_DramaonBoardaWestPalmBeachBus.cfm

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office is investigating an incident on a Palm Tran bus.

Shortly before 9:00am PBSO received a 911 call that as a man on a Palm Tran bus was armed.

The bus was evacuated and passengers were frisked, soon enough police found what they were looking for.

One man on the bus was armed with a handgun in his waistband.

PBSO checked the gun out and it turns out the man does have a concealed weapons permit and will not be charged.

------------------------------------------------------

A complete waste of time. And it is questionable in my mind whether they were within their rights to frisk all the passengers.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Exactly! As long as our fellow citizens are not exposed to even the sdmall % of gun owners who prefer to open carry from time to time, they will never know that concealed carry is perfectly legal.

socuban

imported post

I live in Palm beach County. I read the story in the paper today. I agree that open carry is neccessary to avoid these "shock" reactions.

At the range where I shoot every other day, the guy at the counter who is normally there tells me the retards moving in from NY/NJ are complaining about citizens being able to carry handguns in Florida.

Why can't I get away from these people???????????????????:X:?

In retrospect, I think this should happen more often, to the point where at least the news won't report it as "drama"

1.146 million concealed weapons permits issued to Floridians ('87-'06) and people still freak out when they see a gun. This makes me think that the bad guys have more guns than the good guys and therefore the freak out factor by innocent bystanders......

Print that:p

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

socuban - Stay away from "The Villages". I've heard it called "NY/NJ South":shock:and with all those golf carts and "geographical membership clubs". They even have 'em broken down by borough. Not for me!

whiskeypapa

imported post

I spent most of my life in FL, and even with as good a gun laws that they have because of the tourists and peoples republic states emigrants moving there I will stay in TN here we have open carry and thats what I do.

ProguninTN

imported post

I guess I overlooked this thread in the past. Anyways, a scare in Palm Beach County ? It is it just me, or does anyone else think that this would not have happened in N. FL due to the high concentration of transplants from anti-2A states in S. FL ? Hoping OC will pass in FL,

ProguninTN.

ravnew

imported post

I'm from NYC and moving to Florida later this year. I just wanted to say that not all New Yorkers are anti-gun. I would love to see OC in Florida and would exercise the right daily.

GIdeon_70

imported post

My ex-wife is from the Bronx, and one afternoon I decided to buy a .22 rifle for target practice. She went nuts. In her mind, only a criminal would buy a gun, they were not safe in the house, kids could see one and pass out or some crazy nuttiness like that.

When we separated, her first action was to accuse me of, get this, yelling at her!

I went to court, the judge listened to her pleas to pleases make me not yell at her anymore... and I explained that at the time I was having a heart attack from stress with dealing with her. (I really did have a heart attack the next day)

The judge stretched the law to the breaking point and issued a restraining order on me, for yelling at her, even though she said that I had never hurt, touched, or harmed her at all. She did add as an after thought, "But I'm afraid me might hurt me."

Took over two years to get that bunk off of me.

Florida is not a safe place to rely on the word of the law. THe judges and piolice do what they wnat to do, adn in one notable case, when I tried to complain about an officer, the city told me, "We don't accept complaint about our officers."

I am all for police protection. I am also about self protection since the police are under no obligation to protect "You, and your person." But I do say this. If the law is written, don't let public opinion (or the local newspaper's opinion) manipulate it into something that it was never intended to be.

dlnwoody

imported post

I lived in Florida untill I left for the military. I thank OC'ing would be a good thing. As far as he post I've seen regarding cops do what they want. THAT IS VERY TRUE. My parents live in Palm Beack county. Their house was broken into and two guns were stolen. All they did was take a report. No finger prints or anything.

Mama Tried

imported post

The cops are worthless. Ihave property in lake county that was broken into 6 times last year. and one of those times about $8,000 worth of tools taken. I asked the cops to do fingerprints and he asked why it wont help any. He said he could step up patrols in the area and I told him why, It wont help any I had to go meet you at the gas station because you couldnt find your way here.

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm from NY, moved to Florida two years ago, am currently awaiting my carry permit, just boughta Glock21, will be picking it up on Friday.

So what can we do to get open carry in Fl.???

endtimer08

imported post

here in jacksonville, it's not unusual to see folks printing while they CC. and during hunting season, there are so many hunters with guns on their hips and shotguns in gun racks, that the local population could care less! Just a BIG difference between the REAL florida and the "disney land" that is south florida lol But we DO need OC again here in florida. Not sure about the rest of you, but I am sooooo sick of judges overturning the will of the people!

JimmyD8681

imported post

FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:
I'm from NY, moved to Florida two years ago, am currently awaiting my carry permit, just boughta Glock21, will be picking it up on Friday.

I am originally from NY and am now living in FL. I own a gun and received my CCW.

I am also #19 on the petition for OC here in FL.

Dr.Coy

imported post

Coosbay wrote:
What kind of moron is so sorry that they call just to say that somebody is armed? Idiots, I hope somebody carjacks them with a knife.

I do not feel Coosbay's comment was good, helpful, or content rich in any manner. The comment is also detrimental to this movement. May it be removed, please?

Wishing ill will on a citizen who is frightened when they see a concealed weapon isn't so horrible. Hence, the need for Open Carry to continue marching forward. If law abiding citizens carried openly, panic would not ensue as it did on this bus. Being forced to conceal a weapon, leaves a citizen not educated or having exposure to firearms would natural react in a panic driven fashion.

Open Carry would ease people's minds when seeing a firearm in public, and I predict from true accounts that Open Carrying would help reduce robbery at the least. I believe this because ithas been provedcriminals prey on the weak... I think every criminal would at least re-think his situation if he ran into a bank, a bakery, jewelry store, gas station, or grocery store and saw law abiding citizens who were Open Carrying. And along with Open Carrying, he would know a citizen would be trained with that tool in order to exercise his right to Openly Carry.

Those are my couple cents worth.

rvrctyrngr

imported post

Well said, Dr. Coy. There's a lot of folks who will disagree with your stance, i.e., 'OCers will get shot first during a robbery, they'll have their firearms taken in a grab....etc... Of course, there is NO statistical data to back up any of these doomsday claims.

Thanks for your post!

CallMeIshmael

imported post

JimmyD8681 wrote:
FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:

I'm also a refugee from NY. I've had my Florida CCW for almost 20years now. Haven't shot anybody though. Where's that petition for OC?

gzelmiami

imported post

I concur that wishing someone being carjacked with a knife is unproductive, but I think it's a feeling of frustration that law-abiding citizens feel, when gun laws are enacted in order to gain political favor. It sucks knowing that outlaws don't care about carrying weapons anywhere they want, while us sheep have to bow down to our leaders and ask for permission to exercise a right that was granted to us in the U.S. Constitution.

JimmyD8681

imported post

CallMeIshmael wrote:
JimmyD8681 wrote:
FzSBLACKMAGICK wrote:

I'm also a refugee from NY. I've had my Florida CCW for almost 20years now. Haven't shot anybody though. Where's that petition for OC?

Sorry for the delay in responding.

This is the link that I got from another page in the forum;

http://flopencarry.com/