• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

lets get this TN. post started

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I live right on the VA/TN border here in Bristol, so I carry in TN all the time.

Unfortunately, you need a permit to carry in TN, but if you have one, you can carry open or concealed as you see fit.

I have had TN law enforcement try to tell me on several occasions that you cannot carry openly with a permit in TN. They have stated that you could be charged with going armed.So, I have started carrying a small card around with me that quotes the law to educate them:

----------------------------------

39-17-1351. Handgun carry permits.

n) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (n)(2), a permit issued pursuant to this section shall be good for four (4) years and shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns that the permit holder legally owns or possesses. The permit holder shall have the permit in the holder's immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer.

39-17-1307. Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon.

a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4"), or a club.

39-17-1308. Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon.

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(2) By a person authorized to possess or carry a firearm pursuant to § 39-17-1315 or § 39-17-1351;

molonlabetn

imported post

Hello All,

Decided to come check this forum out, since packing.org is becoming a cess-pit...

I carry frequently here in mid-TN, open or concealed depending on the weather and where I'm going... Lately, my workhorse has beena Bi-ToneXD-45 Tactical, in a Blackhawk SERPA or Don Hume 721OT... I have never been 'carded' by a LEO, since I haven't been pulled over in years, and most who see me out-and-about either know me, or are accustomed to armed citizens.

I like the way this forum is laid out, so far... Especially, no stupid rating system!

molonlabetn

In pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
I like the way this forum is laid out, so far... Especially, no stupid rating system!

Unfortunately, there are always going to be some children who need discipline.My guess is John will not tolerate the nonsense that caused all the ruckus at PDO (assuming you are refering to that).

OCDO (I just penned a new acronym!) is small enough that he can moderate it if needed. If it becomes too large for one person to effectively moderate in his spare time, he will no doubt have to come up with a solution as well.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Thanks for everone's kind comments! I hope this board can be a place that will be fun for all gun activists / enthusiasts.

You are right though. It is small enough for me to moderate at this point and I plan to moderate only as little as necessary. I think the ratings system at PDO was a real mistake and any firearms/liberty related discussions are welcome here without complaint.

If it does become too much for one person, Mike will also take an active role in the moderation and there are also several users here who I know would make excellent moderators if we needed to ask for volunteers.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The whole ratings thing started at PDO because the site owner allowed some peopleto bemoderators who seemed to have their own agenda in mind.

I suspect he realized that some kind of moderation was needed and he could not do it himself, so decided to go with the ratings system.

In the end, it probably would have been better to just get new moderators and track what they moderated.

molonlabetn

imported post

Yes, I was referring to the sad, current state of the PDO forum... Sad thing is, if the rating system would have at least been set up to only allow paying members to vote, it would have worked better... I doubt that a would-be trouble-maker would pay to excercise their voting/trolling. I wouldn't have minded a couple dollars a month, in the interest of intelligent discussion. And, perhaps,recieve a free t-shirt after a year, or something...

I see that several members from Virginia actually meet, at the VCDL meetings... I hope that eventually there will be someting similar, close enough to me to attend.

Thanks again!

molonlabetn

PT-111

imported post

Hello everyone! This is PT-111 from the PDO boards. I am here now also and I too like the look and feel of this site / fourum. Thanks to the administrator for coming up with it.

I have lived in Tennessee for only about 7 months but I have my TN permit and I carry everyday. I have not as yet carried openly but I plan to as soon as I muster up the guts to do it. I am a little worried as to how it will be recieved here in the West end of the state as this seems to be where most of the anti types and liberals have settled.

If anyone out there has carried openly in the Memphis, Shelby-Fayette county area I'd like to hear from you.

Hope to be a regular here.

PT-111

whiskeypapa

imported post

I live in the No. West part of the State just below KY. I open carry all the time so far not even a flicker from LE, have had some staresat meand glances at my Kimber but nothing said.:cool:

TrueBrit

imported post

A pleasure to see other "refugees" from PDO here!I still post there, but more for wicked amusement , really!This forum is a lot more like the real deal, and is conducted in a far more gentlemanly way than PDO. I feel bad for MR. Solomon. Welcome to our new comrades, and thanks to Mr Pierce.

TrueBrit.

tnroadrunner

imported post

I am new here but have been on PDO for quite a while. I am not currently carrying open but do so on my property. I do have my TN carry permit and also have one for FL. I live 60 miles west of Nashville and carry everyday.

Bob

whiskeypapa

imported post

tnroadrunner,

I live about 40 miles west of you and was in McEwen just last Friday. As I said in an earlier post I open carry all the time, each day as you go out just open carry a little more and before you know it you will be doing it all the time as well.:p

ProguninTN

imported post

Hey everybody. I have finally joined the bandwagon of packing.org members joining opencarry.org. (I guess it's about time considering the time I have spent lurking here). Anyways, I have not seen open carry other than by Law Enforcement and Armed Security Guards. Perhaps we can change that. (I am in Middle TN).

Flintlock

imported post

Ya, I decided to "swing" on over here as well. TrueBrit is right, this site is conducted in a much more gentlemanly way than PDO. However, I have been a member of PDO for so long and have had such great discussions and lively debates over the years, that I will have a hard time ever leaving it unless it dies.

I also agree with Molonlabetn that a small charge would have weeded out some zero-bandit lurkers but I always thought that if we all could see who voted what and for who, things would figure itself out eventually.

As far as open carry is concerned, I normally don't do it veryoften to date,but I am planning to change that in the coming months. ;)

whiskeypapa

imported post

tnroadrunner

I did not see your amsoil trailer but I sure did pass your house I travel 70 often, maybe we can get together and meet, do some shoot'n.

By the way whiskeypapa does not mean I drink, I don't, it is the phonetic spelling of myinitials W. P.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Ya, I decided to "swing" on over here as well. TrueBrit is right, this site is conducted in a much more gentlemanly way than PDO. However, I have been a member of PDO for so long and have had such great discussions and lively debates over the years, that I will have a hard time ever leaving it unless it dies.

I also agree with Molonlabetn that a small charge would have weeded out some zero-bandit lurkers but I always thought that if we all could see who voted what and for who, things would figure itself out eventually.

There are all kinds of ways the situation at PDO could be resolved, but all of them would require action by the owner, who for someunknown reason does not do so. One poster speculated he is ill. He did post a couple times about 6 weeks ago out of the blue, responding to a post asking about one of the site graphics. previous to that he had advertised for help in updating the state maps, but it appears he never responded to any of those offering to help.

It may bethe zero bandit is more than one person because zeros hit for several reasons. One big component seems to be cop groupie/wannabe. Many of the zeros are attached to posts that point outLE misbehavior.

I am leaning towards some former admins as well. It is quite apparent that at least some of them had their own agendas in mind when they were moderating previously, rather than following the rules the owner had laid out, which is what led him to change the system in the first place.

Another common feature of zeros is posts that require some thought. ZB may not be well educated and so does not understand some of the posts so he zeros them.

So, I figure we look for a cop groupie/wannabe who is poorly educated and is a former admin, and there is ZB. :)