• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Only in Virginia

TEX1N

imported post

I think it's funny how all of the "A" states are also the states with higher crime problems. Who'd of thunk?!? It just goes to show you that the brady bunch has no clue.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think we need to make a chart. One that correlates the Brady grades, the percentage of households with guns and reported murder rates. I have a hunch it would show some trends in favor owning guns.

VApatriot

imported post

I think that the works of John Lott have already made a good argument proving that legal gun ownership helps to reduce violent crime. However, I don't feel that anyestimating ofthenumber of legal gun ownersby conducting a pole of maybe only 500-1000 peopleisvery accurate way to collect data.

novaccw

imported post

I have some data analysis in the works...it will probably take a day or two...but I will post it as soon as I am done. I have been wanting to do this for a while...thanks for giving me the motivation Longwatch!!

TrueBrit

imported post

Not wishing to gloat,fellers, but good ol' Kentucky got a solid F again from the Brady Bunch! We wear it with pride, naturally !

Much kudos to you Virginian packers,Mr. Van Cleave and Co. have worked wonders in your state.We in Kentucky are lucky.....so far, at any rate!

TrueBrit.

novaccw

imported post

Ok, earlier today I put together some analysis using 2002 Brady grades and 2002 DOJ crime stats. Basically the Brady grades mean nothing. Some "F, D, C" states have low crime rates and some are high. Some "A, B" states have low crime rates and some have high. It really doesn't say much one way or the other about gun laws. My thinking goes like this: Because there is no trend, we can deduce that there is absolutely no correlation between Brady grades and crime.

I did the analysis in Microsoft Excel and I couldn't attach the spreadsheet. Tomorrow I am going to try to take a screen shot or put the info into a txt file. I want you all to see it...so you don't have to take my word for it.

TEX1N

imported post

The problem with the brady grades is that they are nowhere near consistent in that they are a general grade across each state. For example CA got an A, but in some of the rural counties they will issue CHP’s like a shall-issue state, however in the more populated counties (like San Francisco) it is near impossible to get a permit. And of course rural areas normally have lower crime rates than cities, thus making it harder to know how much gun laws make a difference.

The best references on this subject are John Lott’s books. He covers the statistics on gun laws v. crime rates in extreme detail. I have both of his books and in my mind they are a must for any gun rights activist.

novaccw

imported post

Longwatch, I compared the household rates from the Washington Post to the Brady Grades. Some correlate some don't. Overall I don't think the Brady Grades mean much at all. By the way...I apologize for not being able to post the comparisons...I tried to put the stats into a txt file, but it would have been pretty difficult to read. If anybody really wants it let me know...I can email it.