• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Makes Me Nicer!

novaccw

imported post

Whether I am carrying open or concealed, I tend to be more outwardly friendly and courteous. I tend to be even more friendly and courteous when I am open carrying. I try to be nice normally, but I sometimes go out of my way when I am carrying. I think it is important to show others that gun owenrs/carriers are not the paranoid sociopaths as depicted by the media. I always want people around me to have a positive perception of me, just in case. Anybody elsecare to comment?

Oh, one more thing...I would like to thank everybody that posts here at OPENCARRY.ORG (OCDO). I also browse PACKING.ORG (PDO) and I have found the posts at OCDO exibita more friendly, conversatinal tone than the latter. PDO seems to have a lot of "experts" who are never wrong...which leads to a lot of childish bickering. I am very happy to see that OCDO is free of these kinds of attitudes (so far). Thanks again for all the great advice and opinions!!! I hope that didn't sound to touchy-feely...or LIBERAL!! HAHA!! Be safe all...and God Bless!!

whiskeypapa

imported post

I agree open carrying puts me on my best behavior, and if we all follow that one basic rule this can be and will be one great forum.

Thank you jpierce and all posters;)

TEX1N

imported post

I find that I am more aware of my appearance while OCing. Now before everyone goes crazy let me just make it clear; I understand that OC is legal in VA, and I respect your right to do so regardless of your wardrobe preference. All I am saying is that I try not to look like a slob while OCing. For example, two weeks ago I had finals and I was so worn out and moving non-stop that I didn’t shave all week. I was also badly in need of a haircut; therefore I didn’t OC that week.

I just feel that when a person who is unfamiliar with guns sees me open carrying, to that person I represent all gun owners. Therefore like novaccw, I believe that I owe it to all gun owners to be on my best behavior while OCing.

What is everyone else’s opinion on this? Do you find yourself doing the same thing or am I just a loner? -TEX1N

molonlabetn

imported post

I too consciously alter my behavior when open-carrying, to be easilyseen as a positive influence, and not a threat... I like to think that I'm a nice guy, as it is, but nothing makes me moreaware and deliberate in my actions than the spotlight I feel on me when I've got a pistol on my belt! I try to dress in amore 'clean-cut'manner when carrying open, as well. I've even been known to shave on Saturday, if I open carry :shock:

I'm sure that as this forum grows, there will be a few hot-heads come and go... I agree that at the moment, the attitude is quite amicable! Unlike PDO...

(Not that I don't mind speaking my mind, or debating facts, myself...)

molonlabetn

VAopencarry

imported post

I am a little more aware of my appearance and more courteous when I OC. Like others I want to project a positive image of gun owners. The downside, I think, is if you look 'squared away' then people just think you are a cop. If they think that then we aren't enhancing the image of 'just a guy' carrying a firearm.

TrueBrit

imported post

Great posts from all the good gentlemen above.We should, I suggest, conduct ourselves as ambassadors for all legitimate gun owners when open carrying.A neat and tidy appearance, nothing elaborate,does us no harm either.Like it or not, we are surely representatives of a group that is often mis-understood, and we can do much to dispel the negative image that many folks have of those who elect to take responsibility for their own safety.I would never presume to to advise on the behaviour of others,especially sinceit is clear that all who post here need no such advice!

TrueBrit.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

I have found that I am in a better mood when I carry as well. I try to present my self as a calm collected indevidual as I would like people to think that of all gun owners. not off the wall nuts. When opencarrying I have found myself going out of my way to be nice and helpful. I will be the first one to admit that I have a short temper, but I find my self very calm when carrying I tend to not get angery or hurried about things that would normaly send me over the top. I have become to see my gun as mucha an attatude adjustment as a safty device, of which I am very greatful. I was on the verge of devorce before I started carrying and now things are going great. I also find that I trim my beard more often some times I would go a month or more without triming where now I trim almost weekely (not that that really means anything). Carrying seems to be a life changing behavior(I think for the good).

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I too make an effort to be as pleasant and affable as possible. Since being well dressed puts others at ease and lowers the risk of being hassled, I usually try to dress up at least a bit when I OC, esp. in restaurants. (I hate ties and and only wear them whan I have to, so my wife knows I'm going to OC anytime she sees me put one on!)

CPerdue

imported post

I hesitate to say this ... but being armed is a quasi-religious experience in that it is a constant reminder of my ultimate responsibility for my actions (boy, there goes any hope of a future in politics!). I am MUCH more self aware, self controlled, courteous, humble ... and I never expected this when I started. Frankly it is a little weird.

swatpro911

imported post

you get respect and good attitude and you should render the same. maintain professionalism at all times and also you have to make sure not to get into deep then people will take advantage over you by getting all the inside scoop from you. Let them do some homework also. Dont be a dictionary for them.. Just a thought

swatpro911

imported post

gun is not for everyone. Certain people with hypertension, anxiety, depression, memory recal disorder and "trigger happy" kind shoud stay away from guns unless approved by the doctor. On my team 2 guys were cut due to trigger happy mentality, you alwsays got to keep it cool and calm. Even if someone spits on your shoes, or throws water at u. Remain calm and have patience. :) "high risk is a thinking job"

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I would have to disagree re: depression/anxiety/hypertension being included in the same sentence as "trigger-happy" and it's certainly not related to the sociopath/paranoid-schizophrenia category people who often ARE dangerous to others. But depression is not a reason to avoid guns and depressed people are not legally denied purchasing or carrying guns. Someone with something lke severe PTSD might, but that's not depression although the two disorders often share some of the same traits (don't ask me how I know this).

Besides, depressed people usually focus violence inward (suicides), not outwards towards others (workplace/random shootings of strangers, co-workders, etc.).

I guess it depends on the particular case in question, but LOTS of people in America are depressed, lots of famous people, too, yet most of us might not even be able to tell they were...or even believe it when told.

So what I'm saying is that "depression" in general is not as "dangerous" as many people make it out to be.

-- John D.

Fezziwig

imported post

This is my first week OCing. I've noticed that I walk a little straighter, smile a little more, and am much more aware of what's going on arouund me.

Good ol' Fezziwig

vrwmiller

imported post

I am in agreement with everyone. I am more pleasant and more apt to engaging in conversation while I am carrying, not that I am a grumpy person when I am not carrying...I just don't engage in as much conversation when I don't OC. I like it when people ask me questions because it opens up opportunities to educate people.

I also tend to dress nicer. I don't wear t-shirts while carrying. Though, I don't dress up in a suit either. I typically wear jeans and a nice polo or other spiffy-casual type of shirt.

I am much more aware of my surroundings while I am carrying too. My arm is almost always in some sort of contact with my firearm or holster so that if there's any sort of odd or unexpected movement, such as someone potentially trying to get their hands on it, I will notice it immediately and elbow them in the face.

swatpro911

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
I find that I am more aware of my appearance while OCing. Now before everyone goes crazy let me just make it clear; I understand that OC is legal in VA, and I respect your right to do so regardless of your wardrobe preference. All I am saying is that I try not to look like a slob while OCing. For example, two weeks ago I had finals and I was so worn out and moving non-stop that I didn’t shave all week. I was also badly in need of a haircut; therefore I didn’t OC that week.

I just feel that when a person who is unfamiliar with guns sees me open carrying, to that person I represent all gun owners. Therefore like novaccw, I believe that I owe it to all gun owners to be on my best behavior while OCing.

What is everyone else’s opinion on this? Do you find yourself doing the same thing or am I just a loner? -TEX1N
I agree, professional looks will get u spared from annoying questioning from the public/police etc.

vrwmiller

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
"...I will notice it immediately and elbow them in the face"

:shock:

Wow!

Now THAT sure isn't "being friendlier," is it. ;)

I was wondering if someone would catch that and say something. Indeed, that is not being very friendly. Of course, unexpectedly grabbing at someone's firearm isn't either :lol:

I added that in there as a bit of humor, but also meant it too. If someone reaches for my firearm without permission, unexpectadly, or without announcing their intentions, they are getting elbowed, punched, and/or attacked. Unless this person is LEO and disarming me for some reason. I view it as a hostile situation when someone grabs for one's firearm without asking permission or making their intentions known.