• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the last frontier.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

There will be an IDPA match on Saturday March 1st, 2008 at the MVS range. Sign-in and set up will begin at 8:45. Hammer down at 9:30.

Match fee is $13.00. $21 for non-MVS range members.

Safety Notes:
During IDPA & USPSA Matches
  • Firearms must be bagged, cased, or holstered at all times except at the Safety Table, or when you are completing the Course of Fire. Firearms may only be handled at the Safety Table, or on the range under the supervision of a Range/Safety Officer. Handling of firearms in the classroom area at MVS is not permitted.
    • This includes guns for sale and “look at my” guns.
    No ammo (includes spent casings and dummy rounds) may be handled at the Safety Table. Firearms must be unloaded at all times until instructed to “Load and Make Ready” by the Range/Safety Officer.
Violations of these will result in a match disqualification.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

There will be an IPSC / USPSA match on Sunday March 2nd, 2008 at the MVS range. Sign-in and set up will begin at 8:45. Hammer down at 9:30.

Match fee is $13.00. $21 for non-MVS range members. Classifiers cost an additional $3 per gun.

Please sign in immediately, then assist in bringing in the range props from the shed before getting geared up for shooting.

classifier will be this one.
http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/08-03.pdf

We will also have a shotgun side match immediately after the last stage of the regular match. If you want to play bring your shotgun ~10 shotshells and 5 slugs.

spyderdude

imported post

I do plan to go to the Rabbit Creek range on Saturday to shoot my AK-47 and my Glock 19.

That IDPA match sounds good, but I'm not a morning person LOL!

phillyman

imported post

spyderdude wrote:
I do plan to go to the Rabbit Creek range on Saturday to shoot my AK-47 and my Glock 19.

I shot it today, it's worth it:)

akhunter3

imported post

spyderdude wrote:

Did you go spyderdude? I've decided to avoid rabbit creek anymore if possible, the rules and regs there are getting slightly rediculous, next thing you know they will outlaw doubletaps...Birchwood for me!:D

What kind of AK do you have? I have been looking at getting either an AK or AR as a grad. present to myself.

Jon

spyderdude

imported post

Yeah I went shooting yesterday, all by myself. The rules they have are a bit rediculous, but I can deal with them. I think next time I'm gonna go to Birchwood though, and you're welcome to join me.

The AK-47 I have is a Romanian GP WASR10. It's not the prettiest or the most accurate rifle, but it does throw lead down range without a hiccup, and I can still hit a man sized target at 100 yards. I picked it up at AK Shooter Supply for 415 dollars.

akhunter3

imported post

Sounds good to me, let me know when your going to go shoot. I have spring break coming up here Mar. 7, so I'm going to be throwin out as much 10mm/45 as I can get my hands on.

Anybody ever been to Birchwood? I haven't been yet, but people have told me it has somewhere around twice as many ranges as RC.

415? That isn't too bad. Does it have a solid or folding stock? I've really torn between that, an AR, or bargain-shopping and trying to get one of each.

Jon

spyderdude

imported post

It has a fixed stock. The biggest issue with the Romanians are canted (crooked) front sight and gas block, and magazine wobble. The reason for the magazine wobble is because the WASR10 is originally a single stack gun, and when they're imported, Century Arms dremmels out the mag well to accept regular 30 round magazines, and it lacks the dimples to hold the magazine in place. The magazine wobble does not affect the reliability of the gun in any way, it''s just annoying having it wobble. Other than that, it's a good gun for the money. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to pick up a cheap rifle for SHTF situations or plinking. Fortunately for me though, my WASR10 didn't come with a canted front sight or gas block.

I have been to Birchwood a few times, and they have a good selection of ranges. I think the biggest they have is 1,000 yards. I went there for the range portion of the CCW class. It's I think ten dollars to shoot, and 100 bucks for annual membership.

akhunter3

imported post

Do they allow silhouette shooting? What about holster-draw shooting?

I'm going to have to look at pickin' one of those up, if spring break is good money at work I could clear an AK, a few mags and maybe a case of ammo.

Thanks,

Jon

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

there was two matches this weekend. wish i had gone instead of r&r'ing a transmission in my truck

phillyman wrote:
spyderdude wrote:

I shot it today, it's worth it:)

spyderdude

imported post

The weather is finally warming up finally. AKHunter and I went shooting yesterday morning, and it was fun. He found out what a S&W 500 can do:shock::lol:! We OCd at the Carls Jr in Eagle River, and of course that went without incident. Damn Alaska is such a great state!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've wanted to visit Alaska my whole life.

One thing I can't figure out... of all the states in the country, why would anybody ever concealed carry in Alaska? OC is so much more comfortable.

S. Fisher

imported post

marshaul wrote:

One thing I can't figure out... of all the states in the country, why would anybody ever concealed carry in Alaska? OC is so much more comfortable.
Winter in Fairbanks will change you mind on CC, at -50 that chunk of metal gets too cold to handle. ICC in winter under my coat,OC in summer.

Flintlock

imported post

S. Fisher wrote:
marshaul wrote:

Winter in Fairbanks will change you mind on CC, at -50 that chunk of metal gets too cold to handle. ICC in winter under my coat,OC in summer.
No doubt about it.. It's a lot more practical to CC in the winter time up here. Summer is when you can let the puppy breathe..

Baradium

imported post

Arg, missed that show and the gun show (it already happened or is happening soon IIRC).

Waited all year for the next gun show and here I am in Memphis for another month or so...