• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the last frontier.

Baradium

imported post

the yetty wrote:
I also have a 30-06 and a 18.5" 12 guage. I was considering one of those, but again, i don't know if i want to deal with carring a long gun.

Will a 30-06 or a 12 ga slug do anything against a bear.

is it worth the trouble to carry one?

should I even bother bring my XD-40, or is it just another hassle.

any thoughts?
I went by the local wal-mart and asked about rounds for my 30-06 (and also picked up some rounds for my .44 mag. I got Bear rounds, shot shell rounds (both for the woods, shot shell for small game), and some standard rounds. I have to admit that since I stuck 5 bear rounds in it (old model blackhawk so leaving the one under the hammer empty), I havn't changed any rounds out.

The rounds that were recommended to me for the 30-06 are Remington Express Core-Lokt180 grain rounds.

For the .44 I'm using Alaskan Backpacker solid lead rounds. The shot shell rounds are CRC 44spc/mag (so really .44 special rounds).

I'd still like to get a new model blackhawk, just for the extra round and safety features. The old model does do the cool 4 clicks though. ;)

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

I am planning a trip up that way when I finish this little project im working on my truck, swaping the std cab for a crew cab and installing a military 6.2l diesel.

Baradium

imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
I am planning a trip up that way when I finish this little project im working on my truck, swaping the std cab for a crew cab and installing a military 6.2l diesel.

Hahaha, why a military 6.2? Unless you got a good deal on one, that's a lot of more expensive 24volt parts IIRC. ;)

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

It dosnt have any electric stuff on it so i will use a 12v starter and alt that I already have. and I bought it specialy cause of the model injector pump it has, they are a special pump that only the military uses they are alot tougher and can withstand crapy fuel better then an average ip(yes a shop can get parts for it). its called "hard parting" most of the orings are replaced with metal rings and bushings and stuff like that. the ip is worth more then the whole engine so if thats the only good part on the whole thing then im happy I only payed 135bucks for it. and I know those ip's are worth there weight it gold(have you looked at gold prices lately). but im gonna bring it home flip it over check the bottom end. and bolt it to the test stand and give it a wing if it runs it'll get all new gaskets and get put in if not then i'll rebuild it first (rebuild should only cost bout 800). which is still worth it to me. that and I will be doing more water crossings with out worrying about shorting out the distributor.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

nope. I have found with these 6.2/6.5's is that if you prime it to the pump it will clear itself, i have an electric lift pump spliced in with the manual lift pump so if(when) it gets run out you hook up a jumper wire to the elect pump and jumper the fuel cut off silonoid, let it run till there is no more air in the return line(have a section of clear hose) then fire it up or crank it will usually clear up in about 30-45secs. err atleast thats how its worked for me so far on my other diesel trucks.

spyderdude

imported post

I see there are only about two members from AK, and only one from Anchorage. I suppose you can make that two, because I'm from Anchorage too! LOL! Anyway, I haven't really tried OCing yet for obvious reasons. I do concealed carry without a permit because my understanding is, you don't need one to carry in the state of Alasksa, and that includes municipalities.
I do understand the responsibility that comes with CCW, and am an active member of other CCW forums, and have read the AK state laws on firearms. I've already had to inform one officer that I was carrying. Fortunately she kept cool, and told me to keep my hands out of my pockets. I still may apply for my permit, so I can avoid background checks upon purchasing firearms. I wanna try OCing, but I always chicken out LOL!

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OCDO.

we live in a great state.

I too have been looking at getting my alaskan cwp, I have a non-res one from Wa) just for the ability to travel with my sidearm.

The 10minutes it takes them to do the call in is fine with me case then i have time to get accessories for the said firearm or just wanter around the shop.

Baradium

imported post

spyderdude wrote:
I see there are only about two members from AK, and only one from Anchorage. I suppose you can make that two, because I'm from Anchorage too! LOL! Anyway, I haven't really tried OCing yet for obvious reasons. I do concealed carry without a permit because my understanding is, you don't need one to carry in the state of Alasksa, and that includes municipalities.
I do understand the responsibility that comes with CCW, and am an active member of other CCW forums, and have read the AK state laws on firearms. I've already had to inform one officer that I was carrying. Fortunately she kept cool, and told me to keep my hands out of my pockets. I still may apply for my permit, so I can avoid background checks upon purchasing firearms. I wanna try OCing, but I always chicken out LOL!
You are right that you don't need a permit to conceal or open carry and municipalities are forbidden from making their own laws regarding firearms. It seem that a LOT of people conceal carry. I havn't seen many people open carrying, doesn't make it less legal though, and I hear that you'll find a many more people open carrying from hunting season through winter (although then it reverts to everyone having so many clothes on you can't see them anyway).

spyderdude

imported post

So none of you are LEOs, just regular hard working people like myself? I'm 21, but I look like I'm about 16 or 17. I did open carry today for the first time, took a trip to McDonalds, and nobody noticed my firearm except the kid taking my order. He asked me if I was a security guard or an undercover cop, and I simply replied No, I'm a civilian.

Baradium

imported post

spyderdude wrote:
So none of you are LEOs, just regular hard working people like myself? I'm 21, but I look like I'm about 16 or 17. I did open carry today for the first time, took a trip to McDonalds, and nobody noticed my firearm except the kid taking my order. He asked me if I was a security guard or an undercover cop, and I simply replied No, I'm a civilian.

What did you carry? My super blackhawk is a bit obvious. ;) It's a bit much for carrying around town, might as well carry around a rifle! But I think it's just right for the wilderness. ;)

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

Well Im sort of a leo, been working at it(apd app. in motion) done some civilian state patrol stuff and the sort and was a reserve officer when I lived in Wa for the sheriffs dept. I work as a armored truck guy by day and a repo guy by night.