Thread: Anyone open carry in Duluth area or anywhere else

Post imported post

I live in duluth and have open carried once, but i was dressed in a shirt and tie and never even got a second look, just wondering if anyone has open carried in northern minnesota or anywhere else in the state.

Post imported post

I carry openly all the time in the metro area. I have never had a problem. Good luck to you in Duluth.

Post imported post

I have guys come in to my shop that open carry. No problem here. As far as up North I have carry open in in Hibbing.

Post imported post

I have open carried daily since it became legal in Mn, and have done with out incident both in the metor and northern communities, soem people ask is I am a officer, I reply by stating no I carry for protection of my family and property. I have gotten looks from officers in wisconsin but never been a problem because as I understand Wisconsin has a open carry law, except in vehicles it has to be unloaded and on the dashboard, not on the seat someone got a class A misdemenor for having it unloaded on the seat, and I guess one person got a charge for having a loaded gun locked in the glove box. people are generally ok with it, I have had people give me adoubletake type lookwhen I am out to dinner with my wife and child but it hasnever beena conflict, even some store have signposting no guns, unless the sign is legal type size & font you have every right to carry in that store people are ok with it if you don't make a big deal about it. a couple of stores have asked me to leave or remove my gun, I just leave and do not go to those stores anymore, their loss.

Happy carrying, good luck

God bless America

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Good report on successful Wisconsin open carry.

The Wisconsin car ban is problematic - needs to be resolved. But open carry on foot is certainly no banned, as Governor Doyle reminded everybody after his last veto of concealed carry permitting legislation.

Post imported post

freedom1 wrote:
    I have gotten looks from officers in wisconsin but never been a problem because as I understand Wisconsin has a open carry law
    If you have OC’d in WI please post your experience on the WI forum. I also OC in WI but I have not OC’d in town because of the vehicle restriction and the State school zone boondoggle.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I have open carried daily since it became legal in Mn

I'm confused....the opencarry.org map says open carry in is only legal with a permit...is that only because of the restriction for openly carrying ina vehicle??

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

No, it's because you need a permit to cvarry generally, openly or concealed.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Ok, so a permit is required no matter what...are they the same permits, or separate?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

In Minnesota, the licenses are called "Permit to Carry a Pistol".

State Researcher

Post imported post

Gotcha...I was getting messed up info from another source...thanks! lol

Post imported post

O.K. so I am a little late to this conversation, but I normally conceal carry in Duluth,

But have ridden my motorcycle thru that city and Two Harbor's, open carry, sitting nicely on my hip, and nobody has given me as much as a second glance..

With the permit, there's not much the police can do except give you a hard time..

BUT! when I took the Conceal Carry course a few year ago, Minnesota's law was, it was legal to Open Carry with out a permit,

Which was confirmed with the Anoka County Sherriff's Dept.

BUT again's State Law, Ramsey & Hennepin County still require you to have the permit to open carry, how their laws supercead State laws is beyond me..

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Troubled1 wrote:
    O.K. so I am a little late to this conversation, but I normally conceal carry in Duluth,

But have ridden my motorcycle thru that city and Two Harbor's, open carry, sitting nicely on my hip, and nobody has given me as much as a second glance..

With the permit, there's not much the police can do except give you a hard time..

BUT! when I took the Conceal Carry course a few year ago, Minnesota's law was, it was legal to Open Carry with out a permit,

Which was confirmed with the Anoka County Sherriff's Dept.

BUT again's State Law, Ramsey & Hennepin County still require you to have the permit to open carry, how their laws supercead State laws is beyond me..
    Anonka is completely incorrect Minnesota has required a license to open or concealed carry for at least 20 years, even during the old may issue system. It's called "Minnesota Permit to Carry a Pistol".

Post imported post

Has anyone had any trouble with OC or CC in Minneapolis? I'll be visiting there soon and will be on my Utah permit.

Post imported post

Does MN honor your Utah Conceal Carry Permit?

Ever since www.packing.org closed downI havent found a reliable source for that answer..

I do know that Ramsey (St Paul)& Hennepin (Minneapolis)county require a Conceal Permit to open carry, one of the local tv stations did a report on this a couple of years ago about this and with a hidden camera, they had a guy out walking around downtown Minneapolis doing "open carry" and 2 of Minneapolis bicycle Police stopped him, cuffed him, took his weapon and then opened his wallet to see his permit.

Even tho he tried to talk to the police, they seemed unsure of the law and had to get their supervisor out to clear it up..

So, the only thing I would recommened is to contact the MN Attorney General and find out if MN honor's your UT Permit,

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Troubled1 wrote:
    Does MN honor your Utah Conceal Carry Permit?

Ever since http://www.packing.org closed downI havent found a reliable source for that answer..
    The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension says yes. I'd trust that over packing.org or any similar web site.

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/bca/CJIS/...it/States.html

DJ

Post imported post

freedom1 wrote:
    I have open carried daily since it became legal in Mn, and have done with out incident both in the metor and northern communities, soem people ask is I am a officer, I reply by stating no I carry for protection of my family and property. I have gotten looks from officers in wisconsin but never been a problem because as I understand Wisconsin has a open carry law, except in vehicles it has to be unloaded and on the dashboard, not on the seat someone got a class A misdemenor for having it unloaded on the seat, and I guess one person got a charge for having a loaded gun locked in the glove box. people are generally ok with it, I have had people give me adoubletake type lookwhen I am out to dinner with my wife and child but it hasnever beena conflict, even some store have signposting no guns, unless the sign is legal type size & font you have every right to carry in that store people are ok with it if you don't make a big deal about it. a couple of stores have asked me to leave or remove my gun, I just leave and do not go to those stores anymore, their loss.

Happy carrying, good luck

God bless America

You should post a list of stores that aren't gun-friendly, so gun rights folks can take their business elsewhere. Check out what the Virginia Citizens Defense League does, as an example: http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html.

Post imported post

I just joined, (the forum) I've open carried in Duluth off and on over the last 2 years, with no problems. Usually the questions I get (after telling them I'm not a law officer) pertain to open carry being legal. Gives me a chance to help educate folks on the law. (in a positive way, of course)

Interesting to learn about the open carry in Wis., as I live on the border. I wasn't aware of that before. Now if they would jut do away with the vehicle part, it would be great!

Post imported post

I know this is quite late to reply to this. If you read ALL of the minnesota firearms laws, it states that you are allowed to carry within any manicipality (etc.) openly without a permit, BUT said manicipality may create local laws/ordinances that prohibit you from carrying openly without a permit. The laws involved with vehicles in minnesota are a lil messy because the DNR creates its own laws, that are a lil funky. Minnesota HAS premption, but they allow most of these DNR laws to stay inplace anyways. So, legally, you do not NEED a permit to open carry unless the place you are carrying has local laws against it, which i believe, all places DO have laws against it without a permit.

Post imported post

Hello,

What I did was go tothe Mn BCA website and print sentence 22 where it states you do not need to conceal a handgun but may. I laminated this sentence and I carry it in my billfold in case I need to tutor a leo in this.

Post imported post

MolonLabe! wrote:
    [b]]
    You should post a list of stores that aren't gun-friendly, so gun rights folks can take their business elsewhere. Check out what the Virginia Citizens Defense League does, as an example: http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html.

This site has a section where folks can post "gun free zones" that is available after you register (they try to limit access by undercover antis).
    http://www.mnguntalk.com/

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Daddyo wrote:
    MolonLabe! wrote:
    ]

This site has a section where folks can post "gun free zones" that is available after you register (they try to limit access by undercover antis).
    http://www.mnguntalk.com/

Broken link on Virginia Citizens Defense League unfriendly locations.

Try again here -
    http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.