• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here is what OC (of a sort) gets you In Illinois

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

YeeaAH!
(Applauds loudly and boisterously.)

For an anti-gun stink hole like Illinois, this is a Grand Slam, bottom of the ninth in a playoff game.

This is very encouraging... maybe there is hope for places like Illinois and California after all.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
wow, maybe i'll visit my family sometime soon, fannypackin'
This being the state of Daleyistan, unless you are willing to fight in the court system for fourteen months over something not only not illegal but specifically authorized by law, perhaps you should think again.

Tomahawk

imported post

ilbob wrote:

Published: July 20, 2007

Local News: Rockford
Dismissal of weapons charge seen as ‘huge progress’
College student was found with an unloaded gun in a holster.

By Corina Curry
ROCKFORD REGISTER STAR
Click here for more information about Corina Curry

ROCKFORD — A gun charge against a Rock Valley College student for carrying a semi-automatic pistol in a holster while shopping at CherryVale Mall was dismissed Monday.

Judge Steven Vecchio of the 17th Circuit Court of Winnebago and Boone counties dismissed the felony aggravated unlawful use of a weapon charge against Shaun Kranish after Kranish’s attorney argued his client wasn’t breaking the law.

Kranish, 22, was arrested in May 2006 for carrying the unloaded gun at the mall in what has been described as an enclosed holster, meaning the gun is not exposed. Kranish had the ammunition for the gun in a separate compartment on the holster, which was strapped to his right thigh.

Illinois law stipulates it is illegal to carry or possess a firearm in public, but they can be transported if the weapons are broken down in a nonfunctioning state; are not immediately accessible; or are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm-carrying box, shipping box or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid firearm owner’s identification card.

Kranish’s attorney, who could not be reached for comment Thursday, argued in his motion to dismiss that his client’s holster constituted a case.

“The defense believes that if the case encloses the weapon then it’s not a violation of the law,” said Winnebago County State’s Attorney Paul Logli, whose office prosecuted the weapons charge. “They argued that carrying it on his person qualifies as a case, and he can carry it. We disagree. We don’t believe a fanny pack is an exception to the weapons statute.”

Logli said his office has 30 days to file a notice of appeal.

“We believe we have sufficient grounds for appeal,” he said. “Hopefully the appellate court can make some law on this.”

Gun rights advocates across the state are viewing the case’s dismissal as a major victory, paving the way for fewer gun restrictions for law-abiding gun owners.

“Shaun made huge progress with this case,” said John Birch, the nearly 10-year president of Concealed Carry Inc. “Sometimes we can’t make progress legislatively, but we can in the judicial system.”

Birch, of Oak Brook, said he hopes law enforcement officials take note of the case’s outcome.

“I hope the state’s attorneys and sheriffs of this state will educate everybody and their own people on the proper and legal methods of transporting weapons so they stop prosecuting innocent people,” Birch said.

Kranish, of Rockford, is the founder of the Web-based organization ICarry.org.

He also was arrested in October 2005 and charged with disorderly conduct after wearing an empty holster into the Rock Valley College president’s office. He said he wanted to make an appointment with the president to speak about gun rights and was directed to campus police. A secretary told police that she couldn’t tell if the holster was empty or not and called campus police to alert them that someone might be on campus with a gun.

That charge was dropped due to insufficient evidence.

Kranish, who also could not be reached for comment, has a $1.5 million civil rights lawsuit in federal court as a result of that arrest alleging he was wrongfully arrested and his right of free speech among other rights was violated.

A misdemeanor charge of resisting a police officer from the mall incident remains pending, as well.

Staff writer Corina Curry can be reached at 815-987-1395 or ccurry@rrstar.com.

sjhipple

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Logli said his office has 30 days to file a notice of appeal.

“We believe we have sufficient grounds for appeal,” he said. “Hopefully the appellate court can make some law on this.”

It's both hilarious and infuriating that thisguy would openly admit he wants the judge to MAKE LAW (since he doesn't like what the people's "representatives" have said on the issue).

This guy needs to get to New Hampshire and join the other activists fighting for freedom (http://www.FreeStateProject.org). He'd fit right in.

junglebob

imported post

Sjhipple, Funny you should mention Vermont, Shaun plans on moving there when all this is over. I'm sure he'll wait and see that there is no appeal.

DKSuddeth, You should know that the law mentions being in possession of a FOID card (Illinois Firearm Owners ID) when transporting a firearm in a case, unloaded. Out of staters can't get a FOID card.

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This is my first year in Arizona. I was a 30 year resident of the facist state of IL. In Joliet area and Chicago I cc'ed all the time and never once got caught. I should have a few times but managed to walk away from it. I still have a valid FOID card from there. I oc'ed a few times in the Kewanne and Pekin area when I was still with my ex. I went over ok with the residents out there. I would never OC around any city there.