• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Fredericksburg Area

Tricorn

imported post

The other day I had picked up an item at Lowe's in Spotsylvania. Tried to install it this morning and it was the wrong size.I had to take it back, and as warm and humid as it was, I decided to open carry, as I have been known to do. Took the item to the return counter, got my credit, went into the store to get the right one. Being Saturday, it was extremely crowded. Went to the area to get the right item, talked with the guy that works in the section, got what I needed. While I was there I remembered I needed something else, so I went and got that, paid, and went home. Got home, installed the one item then went to work on the other one when I found out it was the right size but the wrong configuration. Back to Lowe's - this time I took the old piece with me - back to the return counter, into the store, got my item, paid and got home and installed that. With all my travels around the store and dealing with several employees and walking among the crowd of people, not one comment or reaction tomy OCing.

novaccw

imported post

I figured I'd add my Fredericksburg story in here too...I had Friday off and decided to go fishing in the Rappahannock River in Fredericksburg. I open carried because I knew it would be hot...my fishing vest partially covered my gun...but I know at least a few people noticed it. No comments...just another normal fishing trip...only caught a few blue gills...still had a great time!!

Tricorn

imported post

We needed a few last minute grocery items this morning so the wife and I went out to get them. As they were forecasting hot weather and it was already warming up, I decided it was an OC day here in Spotsylvania County. We first stopped at the Fasmart on Leavell's Rd to pick up the newspapers. No issues there. Then on to Giant Supermarket at Courthouse (Rte 208) and Leavell's Rds to pick up the items. As it was still early, not many shoppers there, but the employees were busy stocking the shelves. We spent about 20 minutes walking around the store getting our stuff. Exchanged pleasantries with some of the stockers, had a nice conversation with a couple of the cashiers. No comments/issues/problems.

Tricorn

imported post

Wife and I went to Central Park for dinner tonight. We went to Bonefish Grill. First time I have OCed there (see Restaurant Carry). After dinner, the wife wanted to go to A. C. Moore Arts & Crafts, also in Central Park. I OCed there while my better half took me on the tour of the store - up one isle and down the next. We were there 20 - 30 minutes. Lots of women, quite a few with kids, ranging from little ones on up thru teenagers. No problems/issues/comments/women running away/nothing.Wife paid for the one item she had picked up and then we were homeward bound.

novaccw

imported post

This is off topic...but...do you do any fishing, Tricorn? I fish the Rappahannock River once or twice a month. I open carry (back on topic)when I do. Let me know if you want to meet-up sometime! I am always looking to meet new people who think similarly...hard to find up here in Northern Virginia! The invitation is open to anyone who reads this post...I am going fishing on Friday, 8 June 2006...Rappahannock River...Fredericksburg.

novaccw

imported post

Tricorn, sorry I didn't mean to copy your logo! I saw this flag hanging up at work and researched it on the internet. When I learned the history I loved it!!

novaccw

imported post

Open carried while fishing on Friday 9 June 2006. I say open carry, but my my fishing vest mostly covers it...honest, I wasn't trying to conceal!!! Talked to a bunch of people. I kept running into this one "thug" looking kid. Everytime I'd walk to a new spot, he was there. He didn't mention my gun, don't know if he noticed. Everytime he got within five feet or so, I kept my eye on him... kept my strong side turned away. I think was actually ruining his day...he was probably looking to smoke dope or something!

Tricorn

imported post

novaccw wrote:
This is off topic...but...do you do any fishing, Tricorn? I fish the Rappahannock River once or twice a month. I open carry (back on topic)when I do. Let me know if you want to meet-up sometime! I am always looking to meet new people who think similarly...hard to find up here in Northern Virginia! The invitation is open to anyone who reads this post...I am going fishing on Friday, 8 June 2006...Rappahannock River...Fredericksburg.

novaccw,

Ihaven't fished in quite a few years. Before moving to VA, I did a great deal of fishing - all saltwater. I did some freshwater fishing (on the Rappahannock) when I came down to God's country, but never really got into it. Plus work kept me very busy. ThenI got married and free time became almost nonexistent.

Tricorn

imported post

06-10-06 OCed this AM when I went out to get the papers at the Fasmart on Leavells Rd. No problems, but a middle-aged lady was behind me in line and her eyes followed me as I was leaving - all the way out the door and to my truck.

Tricorn

imported post

Wife and I went to La Petite Auberge in downtown Fredericksburg for dinner (see Restaurant Carry). Parking is on the street. We usually park on one of the side streets since it is easier than on William St. OCed for about a block and half to get to the restaurant. Ate dinner and walked back to the car. Passed quite a few people on the street. On the way home needed to get gas so OCed at a Fasmart. Lots of people inside when I paid. No problems, no issues.

AtackDuck

imported post

Went to Lowes in Central Park on the 14th and covered most of the store. Carrying openin a Galco SOB. Picked up a Hummingbird feeder that will be returned (junk) and then went to Otani's, nearby, for some much needed sushi. No problems & only one raised eyebrow, to which I smiled & nodded a greeting.

Tricorn

imported post

06-19-06 OCed at Rosner Toyota of Fredericksburg, dropped off vehicle for service. Walked around the service area getting paperwork filled out. Wife and I then went to Guru Indian Cuisine in Central Park for dinner (see Restaurant Carry). OCed for the 2nd time there. After eating, wife wanted to go to Borders Books since we were in Central Park. Once the wife get sinto a book store, we are there for awhile. Walked all around the place. OCed there over a half hour. No problems anywhere.

06-20-06 OCed at Rosner Toyota again. Picked up one vehicle and dropped off another. Spent time in the service area. Went into the customer waiting area to pay the cashier. Quite a few people waiting for their vehicles. No problems.

06-21-06 OCed at Rosner again to pick up the second vehicle, walked thru the service area to get to the cashier. Wife and I then went to Ruby Tuesday's at Lee's Hill Center in Spotsylvania (see Restaurant Carry). Then went to Cold Stone Creamery at Southpoint II in Spotsylvania for ice cream. Stopped for gas at FASMART, OCed at the pump and inside while paying the cashier. No problems.

Tricorn

imported post

OCed last night. Wife and I went for a quick dinner at Vinny's Grill and Pizza (see Restaurant Carry) on Leavell's Road in Spotsy.We then wentgrocery shopping at Giant on Courthouse Rd (Rte. 208). We went aise by aisle, so we were there 20 to 30 minutes. Couple of looks. As we were walking out the door, a young guy behind us said, "Nice gun." I looked back, smiled, said "Thank you", and he went his way and we went ours.

possumboy

imported post

Don't know the area that well - may or maynot be the right area.

OC'ed at the Sheetz going turning on Route 22(?). Both today and 18-June-2006.

I traveled to IL and back. Carried in everystate there and back - except for IL which is where I needed it most when going around East ST Louis.

rebfan

imported post

novacc,

Not to butt in on the topic, but I live in Northern VA, and do fish in Fredericksburg. So maybe we can try to met up sometime to go fishing. I suppose to O'cers are better than one.

Tricorn

imported post

OCed (.45 Colt Peacemaker) today grocery shopping at Giant on Courthouse Rd. Seemed everybody was out gettingsupplies for their 4th of July parties. We were in the store a good 45 minutes, maybe an hour. We went all over the store. Lines at the check out counters were long. While waiting in line a little girl looked at me and asked why I was wearing my hat (a tricorn). Her mother jumped in and said "He is celebrating 4th of July." The little grl looked at me and smiled and asked if she could try on my hat. I took it off and handed it to her, she put it on, and with a big smile said to her mother, "Look at me." Then she gave me back my hat, said "Thank you." I said, "You're welcome."By then her mother was paying and away they went. That was the only interaction with anybody there.

Happy Independence Day!

novaccw

imported post

rebfan...you're not butting in...it's a public forum! sounds good...we hit a lake off of 17 North today...caught about 50 or so Blue Gills between four of us...and a few cat fish. Maybe we can meet up sometime.

Tricorn

imported post

Needed a few things for the 4th of July party, OCed while grocery shopping at Ukrop's on Rte 3 in Spotsy. We were inthe store maybe 20 minutes, rather crowded. Only comment I had was an older gentleman wearing one of those veteran ballcaps(looked to be about my father's age, figured he was a WWII vet). He asked if we were going to be attacked. I said I didn't know, since the UN is meeting in NYC anything is possible. I said remember, One if by land, Two if by sea. We both laughed and went our way. After leaving Ukrop's we went to Pancho Villa Mexican Restaurant off Rte. 1in Spotsy for dinner.