• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Fredericksburg Area

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think they are anti-gun just like most other malls. I wouldn't open carry there.

Spotsy Mall, err Towne Centre, is owned by Cafaro. Cafaro is a private mall company with roughly 80 properties. Like their competetors, they don't understand or appreciate our rights and security. They are there to make money and that's all they really care about. But as property owners, they are within their rights to disallow firearms until VA law changes.

Tricorn

imported post

OCed this evening. Stopped at Shoney's on Rte 3 in Fredericksburg (see Restaurant Carry). No problems. Then went to BJ's on Rte 3 in Spotsy. We were there about an hour or so. We pretty much covered the whole store. Had 2 carts full of stuff. No problems.

possumboy

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
I think they are anti-gun just like most other malls. I wouldn't open carry there.

Spotsy Mall, err Towne Centre, is owned by Cafaro. Cafaro is a private mall company with roughly 80 properties. Like their competetors, they don't understand or appreciate our rights and security. They are there to make money and that's all they really care about. But as property owners, they are within their rights to disallow firearms until VA law changes.

I don't think VA law will ever change to take away property owner rights. I would not want anyone telling me what other can do on my property. We already have enough to worry about with certain right-away laws.

I have told police officers that showed up at my house in MD they could come in if they left their gun in the car. They thought I was joking, but they didn't get in. They were doing some door-to-door questioning about activities in the area. They were not there for me or mine. But that was a long time ago. I live in VA now. I would have my gun on my hip also when I told them they could come in if they left their guns in the car. Unless I had called them, or they had a warrant - or something like that...

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Note, I should have said "unless VA law changes" in my previous post.

Yeah, it's a slippery slope if the government starting to take away property rights. Of course, they've already started with the recent emminent domain ruling.

My concern is with "quasi-public" property -- malls and shopping centers. You have privately owned places open to the public that restrict your rights and potentially put you in harms way. Some places don't provide any security, not even cameras; while others have inadequate security. Yet they want me to spend my money there.

So, we make consious decisions and tradeoffs to balance our rights and principles against the things we want and need. At least, it is a non-firearms charge in VA if you are asked to leave or not carry your firearm while shopping and don't.

CajunBass

imported post

Sorry, but I think the property owner has the right to post the property if they want to, even places that are open to the public, like malls and such. I have the right to not shop there, so I don't or if I do, I just conceal my sidearm. I have a CHP, and concealed means concealed, especially in that case. However the worst they can do is ask you to leave. Now, if you don't leave, that's a different issue. Then it's tresspass.

I've opened carried in the F'burg, and Richmond areas recently. (see post "My open carry experience or something like that.) One place in F'burg was Sam's Pizza in the shopping center at Salem Church and Rt. 3. The only reaction there was a delivergy guy asking if he could do that too. A couple of 7-11's also, and the Food Lion at Thornburg. No reaction at all in any of them. Most of the time when I'm riding my motorcycle, my sidearm is visable. I haven't seen anyone running off the road to get away from the "Crazy Biker with a gun."

Tricorn

imported post

Yesterday, OCed at George's Pizza, Rte 3 Spotsy. No problems. Then on to Ukrop's for groceries. No problems.

Today, OCed downtown Fredericksburg. Walkedup and downCaroline St. Stopped at Crown Jewelers and Pickers's Supply. Did some window shopping. No problems.

CajunBass

imported post

Just to add a couple more places to our list. My wife OCed in Wal-Mart, and Lowes Hardware in Culpepper Friday. (I had a cover shirt on.) Later,I was in a Sheetz in MidlothianSaturday morning getting something to eat, wearing a full sized XD-9, on a "bat belt" with full regalia. Magazine pouch, folding knife, mini-mag, and holster. Again the usual, no reaction at any of those places.

Tricorn

imported post

Today was my wife's birthday. On our way to breakfast, stopped at Fasmart to pick up the newspapers. Then on to Aunt Sarah's Pancake House on Rte 3 in Fredericksburg. Aunt Sarah's is her favorite breakfast place, she loves their pecan waffle. The she wanted to go to Central Park to the Yankee Candle store. We spent a good amount of time sniffing candles to find the scents she liked. She had trouble deciding, so she bought a whole bunch. One of the sales ladies helped us get them to the counter. While checking out, we joked with them, paid, and as we were leaving, they said to please come back again. Then we went to Giant on Courthouse Rd in Spotsy to pick upthe photos we had developed. Then home for a rest. This evening my wife said she wanted to go to the Log Cabin Restaurant for dinner. We had one of the regular waitresses, so we chatted with her for awhile. We had a great meal. As we were leaving, she said she hoped to see us again soon. Then we were homeward bound. I OCed the whole time and had no problems what-so-ever.

Tricorn

imported post

Wife had a hair appointment this evening in Fredericksburg. On our way, we stopped in downtown Fredericksburg to pick up a ring she had fixed. Parked the truck and walked for a few blocks to get to the jewelry store. Picked up the ring and walked backed to the truck. On our way, a gentleman complimented me on my hat. I thanked him.At which point he must have noticed I was OCing. He said you don't see many people walking through town with a sidearm even though it is totally legal. After a few pleasantries, we were off to the hair salon. We arrived at the hair salon, my wife went in. I stay in the truck as the chemicals play havoc with my sinuses. A minute or two later she comes back out and says the stylist says she is running about an hour behind. So off we went to kill some time. We decided to go to Carl's Ice Cream for an ice cream dinner. The line was short but there was a good crowd sitting around chatting and eating ice cream. We got our cones, ate them, and back to the salon. She got her hair done and then back home. One good encounter, no bad encounters.

Tricorn

imported post

Tonight was grocery night. First went to dinner at Vinny's Grill and Pizza on Leavells Rd. Capacity crowd, no problems. Then on to Giant on Courthouse Rd in Spotsy for groceries. Took us about an hour to get all our items. Pretty much covered the store. No problems.

Tricorn

imported post

Wife needed to pick up a few items so we went to Walmart at Southpoint II in Spotsy. OCed and had no problems. Then we went to the new Longhorn Steakhouse at Southpoint II, basically across the street from Walmart. First time OCing there, actually was our first visit there. Good meal, no problems.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tricorn wrote:
Today was my wife's birthday. On our way to breakfast, stopped at Fasmart to pick up the newspapers. Then on to Aunt Sarah's Pancake House on Rte 3 in Fredericksburg. Aunt Sarah's is her favorite breakfast place, she loves their pecan waffle. The she wanted to go to Central Park to the Yankee Candle store. We spent a good amount of time sniffing candles to find the scents she liked. She had trouble deciding, so she bought a whole bunch. One of the sales ladies helped us get them to the counter. While checking out, we joked with them, paid, and as we were leaving, they said to please come back again. Then we went to Giant on Courthouse Rd in Spotsy to pick upthe photos we had developed. Then home for a rest. This evening my wife said she wanted to go to the Log Cabin Restaurant for dinner. We had one of the regular waitresses, so we chatted with her for awhile. We had a great meal. As we were leaving, she said she hoped to see us again soon. Then we were homeward bound. I OCed the whole time and had no problems what-so-ever.
Hey, Tricorn, your wife and I share a birthday. Sorry I missed the chance to offer my best wishes that day.

Tricorn

imported post

Tess wrote:
Tricorn wrote:
Hey, Tricorn, your wife and I share a birthday. Sorry I missed the chance to offer my best wishes that day.
A belated Happy Birthday to you from both of us!

Tricorn

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
Gee, looks like we have a lot of August birthday folks here in the VA forum! Mine was yesterday - bought myself a pristine little SKS to celebrate!
And a belated Happy Birthday to you. Hope you enjoy your "present". Let us know how it shoots.

Tricorn

imported post

OCed for dinner this evening at Panch Villa Mexican Restaurant in Spotsy. Then the wife needed some items so we stopped at Rite-Aid on Rte 1 and Hood Drive in Spotsy. Quite a few people there, mostly women. No problems.

Tricorn

imported post

Yesterday, 09/16/06, went to the Fasmart on Leavells Rd to gas up the wife's car and get the newspapers. Then on to Giant on Courthouse Rd for groceries. Spent about an hour walking around the store. Later in the afternoon, off toa family get-together. We were on the hook to bring dessert. We went down to Cold Stone Creamery in Southpoint II at Massaponax to pickup an ice cream cake. Place was packed, took us about 20 minutes to decide what cake we wanted and to pay for it. No problems or issues anywhere.

Happy Constitution Day!

Tricorn

imported post

Took the truck to Rosner Toyota of Fredericksburg tonight to drop it off for some work to be done tomorrow. Service area was packed. Waitedabout 10 minutes to be helped by a service manager. Told them what I needed and left. Then we went to Longhorn Steakhouse for dinner (see Resturant Carry). As we were walking in the door at home after dinner, the phone rang. It was Rosner Toyota letting me know the work was finished and I could pick up the truck. So back to Rosner, walked thru the service area and down to the waiting area to pay the cashier. Then back out thru the service area to pick up the truck and then home for the evening. No problems.

presbyreformed

imported post

pourshot wrote:
So is it or is it not an anti-gun mall?

VCDL lists Spotsy Mall on their "gun owner unfriendly" list. I stay away from that place except for Costco.

Unfortunately BB&T is also gun owner unfriendly. They conspicuously post "No Guns" on every branch. Recently I was doing research on this horrendous and unconstitutional "eminent domain" issue and ran acrossinformation that indicated BB&T refuses to finance business deals where the local government invokes eminent domain to allow the business deal (usually development projects) to go through. I sent BB&T a letter commending them on this policy. I also took the time to ask them why they have this anti-gun policy. I asked some very specific and polite questions and asked them to explain the logic of the policy. The response I got back was nothing more than what I guessed was copied out of some policy manual. They didn't bother to address one question I had....:banghead: Oh well.