• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Fredericksburg Area

Tricorn

imported post

OCed yesterday. First had dinner at Vinny's Grill and Pizza in Spotsy. Then went grocery shopping at Giant on Courthouse Rd. Cashier guy asked me if it was a real pistol. I replied yes. I was expecting a follow-up question, but he just went on scanning our items. Then we paid and left. No problems.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

presbyreformed wrote:
pourshot wrote:
So is it or is it not an anti-gun mall?

VCDL lists Spotsy Mall on their "gun owner unfriendly" list. I stay away from that place except for Costco.

Unfortunately BB&T is also gun owner unfriendly. They conspicuously post "No Guns" on every branch. Recently I was doing research on this horrendous and unconstitutional "eminent domain" issue and ran acrossinformation that indicated BB&T refuses to finance business deals where the local government invokes eminent domain to allow the business deal (usually development projects) to go through. I sent BB&T a letter commending them on this policy. I also took the time to ask them why they have this anti-gun policy. I asked some very specific and polite questions and asked them to explain the logic of the policy. The response I got back was nothing more than what I guessed was copied out of some policy manual. They didn't bother to address one question I had....:banghead: Oh well.

I've been toying with the idea of taking this a step further. When a business, or especially, a politician, replies without answering the question, send back a copy, addressed to a person, asking if a staffer responded, or why s/he didn't respond to my question. Then ask the question again, and indicate the response may become part of a published collection.

Haven't tried it yet. I want to make certain my ducks are in a row

Tricorn

imported post

09-29-06 OCed first at Vinny's Grill and Pizza on Leavells Rd for dinner. Then on to Ukrop's on Rte 3 for groceries. Spent about an hour getting what we needed. No problems as usual.

Tricorn

imported post

OCed yesterday evening. Filled the wife's car with gas at Fasmart. Then went to Giant Supermarket on Courthouse Rd, Spotsy, so the wife could pick up some prescription refills. On to Longhorn Steakhouse for dinner (see Restaurant Carry). No problems.

Tricorn

imported post

OCed this evening while grocery shopping at Giant on Courthouse Rd in Spotsy. Had a fair amount of shoppers. Pretty much covered the store. One family had a couple of boys between 10 and 13years old. I saw the boys eyes get real wide when they saw myfirearm but they didn't say anything,then they continued shoppingwith their parents. No problems.

novaccw

imported post

OC'd on 14 October 2006 at Wawa on Route 17 just north of 95. Stopped to put air in my tires and get a coffee at about 1:30 PM after archery hunting in the morning. The place was pretty busy but nobody seemed to notice...so it was a good experience.

Tricorn

imported post

10-28-06 OCed while grocery shopping at Ukrop's on Rte 3 in Sposty. Had my first encounter with an anti. We just arrived and I was picking up some bananas when an older women came over and asked if it was a real gun. I said yes. She asked why I felt the need to have a gun in a grocery store. I said one never knows when trouble might occur and I wanted to protect my family since I didn't see any police around for protection. She said I was brandishing a firearm. I said it is not being brandished. She said itis in the out in the open in front of all these kids, she turned leaving, and said she felt threatened as she walked away. Since she broke-off the conversation, I just picked up my bananas and continued shopping. We were there for a good hour. Store was crowded. No other encounters. The local food bank was collecting items out in front of the store so we picked upsome items and gave them to the guy manning the cart. He cheerfully thanked us and we were homeward bound.

Tricorn

imported post

Last night had to go to the in-laws to drop some stuff off. Since it was a nice night, I OCed. Dropped the stuff off (I don't think they would recognize me if I wasn't carrying) and asked the wife what she wanted to do about dinner. We decided to go to La Petite Auberge in Fredericksburg. We parked on a side street so we had about a 2 block walk, about half of it along William St. Had a great meal at La Petite. Walked back to the car. No problems.

Tricorn

imported post

OCed while picking up pictures atGiant Supermarket on Courthouse Rd in Spotsy. Then on to dinner at Pancho Villa Mexican Restaurant off Rte 1 in Spotsy. No problems.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Tricorn wrote:
10-28-06 OCed while grocery shopping at Ukrop's on Rte 3 in Sposty. Had my first encounter with an anti. We just arrived and I was picking up some bananas when an older women came over and asked if it was a real gun. I said yes. She asked why I felt the need to have a gun in a grocery store. I said one never knows when trouble might occur and I wanted to protect my family since I didn't see any police around for protection. She said I was brandishing a firearm. I said it is not being brandished. She said itis in the out in the open in front of all these kids, she turned leaving, and said she felt threatened as she walked away.
Some people just need a good old 3 Stooges poke in eyes.:banghead:

She was practicing her 1st Amendment rights, why shouldn't you practice your 2nd?

LoveMyCountry

Tricorn

imported post

Started the day CCing since it was a little chilly this morning and went to Toys R Us at Central Park to do some Christmas shopping. Picked up a few things for the niece and nephew. When we came out it was warming up so off came the jacket and OCed the rest of the day. From Central Park we went to Aunt Sarah's Pancake House (across Rte 3) for breakfast. No problems. Then home to unload the vehicle. Then we went out grocery shopping. Went to Ukrop's on Rte 3. We were there over an hour. Covered the store from one end to the other. No problems. Then home to unload and put the groceries away. Late afternoon, out for an early dinner at Vinny's Grill and Pizza on Leavells Rd. No problems.

Tricorn

imported post

Had a few errands to run + nice warm evening = OC. Started at Giant on Courthouse Rd in Spotsy to pick up a few things. Then on to dinner at Ruby Tuesday's at Lee's Hill Center off Rte 1. Wife needed some "stuff", so we stopped at Rite-Aid on Rte 1 (across from Ruby Tuesday's). Then home. No problems.

Tricorn

imported post

Needed to run to the grocery store to pick-up a few things. With the temp at 70 deg, good opportunity to OC. Went to Giant on Courthouse Rd (Rte 208) in Spotsy. Although the list was short, we had trouble finding one of the items. Traversed the store twice before finding it. No problems, but the 2 guys working the bank desk (Chevy Chase Bank?) at the front of the store followed me with their eyes from the checkout till I was out the door.

Tricorn

imported post

Wife wanted to go out to eat. Since it was fairly warm this evening (nice change from the cold weather we have been having), I didn't need a jacket when we went to Pancho Villa Mexican Restaurant off Rte 1 in Spotsy. She drove. After eating, she said she needed gas so we stopped at Wawa on Falcon Drive (just down the road apiece from the restaurant). OCed the whole time. No problems.

NavyBlue99TA

imported post

Just OC'd at Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar over in the shopping center on Carl D. Silver Pkwy. Only got one kinda sideways look from a waitress, but nobody else even seemed to notice, including the people I was having dinner with! This was a little surprising to me since I was carrying a govt. model 1911 so I was definitely not trying to be subtle at all.

Tricorn

imported post

Started the day OCing at Aunt Sarah's Pancake House on Rte 3 in Fredericksburg for breakfast. Good size crowd with several families. From there went to Giant on Courthouse Road for groceries. Quite a few people shopping. Had a nice conversation with a gentleman (older than me) about my hat. We pretty much covered the store shopping. Joked around with the cashier and the bagger when we checked out. For dinner went to Renato's in downtown Fredericksburg. We were there early and with the nice weather, there were only a couple of other diners. No problems.

vaguard

imported post

Hey guys, Im new to thisforum and I live in Stafford county. I've been thinking about open carrying but am a little hesitant because I am only 18 and am not sure how people would respond, especially law enforcement officers. As I understand it is legal for me at 18 to carry, but yet I can't purchase a handgun or buy ammo. Im still not real sure about how the OC laws apply to me being 18.Although knowing some places around here I doubt they would care if I was 12 and carrying. Sorry this is a little off topic but I saw fellow Fredericksburg area people in here and was just wonderingif any of you could help me out aboutwhat I can and can't do being 18.

1st freedom

imported post

Hey, VAGUARD,

Welcome to the forum:lol: I don't live in Fredricksburg, just a little north of there,but would suggest buying " the virginia gun owners guide ". You can find it at most gun stores, most book stores or the NRA headquarters in Fairfax. It is a MUST have for gun owners if you live in this state.

Hope this helps,,

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vaguard,
When you ask how the OC laws apply to you, I can only say "the same way as to everyone else"! In fact, there are no OC laws. Just no laws against it, therefore it is legal as long as you aren't in a forbidden location: schools, courthouses, etc. I think there are other 18 year olds on this forum. I hope some reply to you!