• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Fredericksburg Area

TFred

I have not posted on this thread in a while but I OC every day. In the last couple of weeks I have been to WAWA on Rt 3 chancellor, both Home Depot and Lowes on Rt 3 and Central Park, Giant on Rt 218, The ABC on 218 (they always speak of my side arm in a friendly way) Sheetz at Ferry Farms, all of my supply houses (they are all 2A Supporters). All jobsites, Walmart on 218, and multiple 7-11s, no issues anywhere. I am sure I have OC'd in other places I haven't mentioned but because of OCDO it has become second nature and other than situational awarness I feel funny if I am not carrying. Thanks to all of you for letting me know, I am not alone:)
Just curious, what do you do?

TFred

Tricorn

Wednesday - Giant on Courthouse Rd.
Friday - Fredericksburg Limo Service off of Rte 1 and Harrison Rd.
Today - Wawa (the usual one) for coffee (me) and tea (The Empress). Wegman's @ Central Park.

TFred

A rare opportunity to hear and meet PVC, President of VCDL in the Fredericksburg area. From tonight's VA-ALERT e-mail:

6. VCDL President to speak at the Fredericksburg Tea Party Patriots meeting on June 23

I will be speaking at the Fredericksburg Tea Party Patriots (all the names that the IRS hates) meeting on Sunday, June 23. The meeting is open to the public and will be held at:

Salem Church Branch of the Rappahannock Library System
2607 Salem Church Road
Fredericksburg, VA 22407

The meeting starts at 2 PM and ends at 4 PM. They have another speaker from 2 PM to 3 PM and I will be speaking shortly thereafter.

Carry reminder: for those who may decide to do so, it is legal to carry openly or concealed in public libraries in Virginia.​

TFred

Pcooke717

Advice for someone new to OCing

Hey guys/gals,

I live in Orange county/ Locust Grove area but spend most of my time running errands in Fredericksburg. Im 19 years old (will be 20 in a couple weeks). I've wanted to open carry since I turned 18. I know that im legally in the right to OC but Im leery about being approached by a LEO because they don't think I "look old enough" or being in a store and having an issue for that same reason. Most of the time when im out and about (usually walmart) or somewhere else Im with my 6 month old son and fiancé. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated , ( this is my first post on the forum by the way )

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey guys/gals,

I live in Orange county/ Locust Grove area but spend most of my time running errands in Fredericksburg. Im 19 years old (will be 20 in a couple weeks). I've wanted to open carry since I turned 18. I know that im legally in the right to OC but Im leery about being approached by a LEO because they don't think I "look old enough" or being in a store and having an issue for that same reason. Most of the time when im out and about (usually walmart) or somewhere else Im with my 6 month old son and fiancé. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated , ( this is my first post on the forum by the way )
Welcome to the forum - lot's of good people that'd be more than willing to walk with you for a spell.

Check out the meet n' greets (stickied) and come sit and chat with some of the ol' pharts - there is comfort in numbers. It will become old hat soon enough.

Buy and carry a digital recorder, Va is not a stop & identify state, OC is not RAS of a crime - recent decision by the 4th Circuit Court.

Take some time and glance thru this thread:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...pen-Carry-Flyers-amp-Information-Cards-STICKY

Have you signed up for the free Va-Alerts yet? Best way to keep current on what is happening throughout the Commonwealth and please consider joining VCDL, Defending Your Right To Defend Yourself.
http://www.vcdl.org/va-alert

lil_shawn1990

Hey guys/gals,

Welcome to the Forumn. I am 23 years old but also look young, so i do get the occasional looks and have been stopped by other people asking questions, not cops just civilians. Usually no problems, and if you keep an eye on these forumns and brush up on your knowledge, you can educate a good many of people out there. Feel free to PM me if you ever need someone to come do a walk aroudn with you. You get more comfortable with it the more you do. 9 times out of 10 no one is even going to look at you twice.

POPS VA

Welcome

Hey guys/gals,

Welcome to the forum. Many good people here with alot of information. I too am a newbe but have learned much here. OC soon becomes "normal" after a while, but know the laws as to where open carry is legal and where it is not, you will find most of that info by reading and following the threads here. Make sure you check out VCDL and join if you can.:)

POPS VA

I was in the ABC store on 218 last week and a young man was talking to one of the managers I know there. I entered with my strong side away from him but as I approached the counter the young fellow noticed my sidearm and with an alarmed voiice he hollars "Dude you're packing":eek: I answered in the affimative and he asked why. I explained that it was for both my self defence as well as his and that OC is perfectly legal here in Virginia. Turns out that he had just moved here from Portland Oregon and didn't know that a LAC could carry a firearm. Ended up in a good converstion about the 2A rights. I don't think I turned him from the dark side, but he was more informed about OC when I left.

lil_shawn1990

I was in the ABC store on 218 last week and a young man was talking to one of the managers I know there. I entered with my strong side away from him but as I approached the counter the young fellow noticed my sidearm and with an alarmed voiice he hollars "Dude you're packing":eek: I answered in the affimative and he asked why. I explained that it was for both my self defence as well as his and that OC is perfectly legal here in Virginia. Turns out that he had just moved here from Portland Oregon and didn't know that a LAC could carry a firearm. Ended up in a good converstion about the 2A rights. I don't think I turned him from the dark side, but he was more informed about OC when I left.

Every ABC store that I have been too here in fredburg has the NO GUN sign at the front of the door. I am new to FBurg, so I don't know where 218 is, so if you could give me a better landmark, I would prefer to start shopping there.

Blk97F150

Every ABC store that I have been too here in fredburg has the NO GUN sign at the front of the door. I am new to FBurg, so I don't know where 218 is, so if you could give me a better landmark, I would prefer to start shopping there.

Can you please advise the exact location of the ABC stores that have the 'no gun' signs?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Have never seen a Virginia ABC store with a no guns sign. Have OCd in a number of them.

While state agencies are not yet covered by preemption, I find no VAC rule against guns by LAC in ABC stores. Don't think that individual stores have the right to make their own rules - it would have to be an agency decision following the prescibed format.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Have never seen a Virginia ABC store with a no guns sign. Have OCd in a number of them.

While state agencies are not yet covered by preemption, I find no VAC rule against guns by LAC in ABC stores. Don't think that individual stores have the right to make their own rules - it would have to be an agency decision following the prescibed format.

Like you, I have never seen a Virginia ABC store with any no guns signs posted. And I thought that since we own those stores, they cannot post such signs. Am I in error with this thinking?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Like you, I have never seen a Virginia ABC store with any no guns signs posted. And I thought that since we own those stores, they cannot post such signs. Am I in error with this thinking?

"State agency" is the key. Municipalities are restricted under § 15.2-915. (Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies).

State agencies must follow the procedure in VAC (Va Administrative Code) or by executive (govenor) decision.

When I say never have seen such that is precisely what I mean. Wish to see a photograph of an ABC store in VA posted no guns - somebody's personnel file would likely end up with a severe black mark for posting unauthorized sign or graffiti on state property :lol:

Last edited:

Blk97F150

When I say never have seen such that is precisely what I mean. Wish to see a photograph of an ABC store in VA posted no guns - somebody's personnel file would likely end up with a severe black mark for posting unauthorized sign or graffiti on state property :lol:

I'm going to look over the next few days... if I can find one that has a gun-buster sign, I'll post a pic for you! :cool:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--When I say never have seen such that is precisely what I mean. Wish to see a photograph of an ABC store in VA posted no guns - somebody's personnel file would likely end up with a severe black mark for posting unauthorized sign or graffiti on state property :lol:
I'm going to look over the next few days... if I can find one that has a gun-buster sign, I'll post a pic for you! :cool:

Maybe lil_shawn1990 can be induced to show us where these might be.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_shawn1990 View Post
Every ABC store that I have been too here in fredburg has the NO GUN sign at the front of the door --snip--

Last edited:

POPS VA

The ABC store in question is located in the Town and Country shopping center on White Oak road (rte. 218) next to the Giant in south Stafford Co. But I have OC'd at the store on the intersection of Rte. 3 and Rte. 20 in Orange Co.. the store in Montross as well as others I have never seen a gun buster sign or ever had a problem. :)