• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Talk about Shock and Awe!

novaccw

imported post

I attend a Bible study every Sunday night at some church members' house. One of the co-leaders of the bible study is a retired pediatrician. He is a really nice guy. When we introduced ourselves a few weeks ago, I mentioned that my interests included hunting, fishing, and shooting (among others).

This past week, while we were waiting for the study to begin, I was discussing hunting with another lady in the study who mentioned that her husband and sons enjoy hunting. The pediatrician asked if, as a hunter, I was a member of the NRA. I am pretty outspoken about gun rights to about anyone who will listen...but I kept it simple and simply said, "Yes, I am a lifetime member."

The pediatrician surprised me by saying what a great organization the NRA is and how important it is that they are protecting our God-given right to keep and bear arms. I was in shock, I told him I was pleasantly surprised by his view because most doctors and especially pediatricians don't feel the same way. He then proceeded to educate the whole group about the vast amount of misinformation presented by anti-gun groups and "most" professional medical societies. He then noted how much he liked my "Guns save lives" bumper sticker and mentioned that he has read Dr. Kleck's study about defensive gun use.

I noticed that the host of the study got up and left a few times during the conversation and I sensed he didn't share our feelings.He lightheartedly expressed that he didn't share the same views. Overall, it was a great conversation...I am usually very outspoken, but my Doctor friend did such a good job I kept almost completely silent.I did offer my two cents whensomeone referred to an "assault rifle," I noted that the phrase is a media fear mongering tactic and that the correct term is "semi-automatic" rifle. I then asked if anyone has heard of an "assault knife"? Nobody had.

All in all, it was a great conversation. Even though there was some disagreement, our views were not shouted down or taken angrily. I don't think you can change someone's mind right away...I think it takes a while...I just hope the conversation may have planted the seed for them to research their opinions a little more...and kudos to my Doctor friend...I couldn't get that smile off my face for the rest of the night!! This kind of encounter is encouraging...

I don't know if the Doctor is a gun owner.

I was not carrying at the Bible study...I choose to unload if I am in someone's house unless I know they are ok with it. It is a touchy subject with new acquaintinces... I know I am a hypocrite for doing things this way... but if you want to re-affirm that, please be my guest!

Take care all and keep posting!!

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

novaccw wrote:
I was not carrying at the Bible study...I choose to unload if I am in someone's house unless I know they are ok with it. It is a touchy subject with new acquaintinces... I know I am a hypocrite for doing things this way... but if you want to re-affirm that, please be my guest!

You are most certainly NOT a hypocrite for respecting the wishes of the homeowners when you visit them.

You are being polite, a good friend and a good citizen by respecting their wishes.

Perhaps aprivate prayer for them to acquire wisdom would be in order.

molonlabetn

imported post

Some states require thatone get permission from a private property owner before carrying a firearm... It is most certainly not hypocritical. If it was a business, I would personallybe more prone to making an issue out of it, but at a residence, for a bible-study... It's probably not worth uspetting the host by even making it an issue, unless you have a genuine concern for your well being at that location (which would hopefully prompt a location change, anyways). I'd leave it in the car, too, unless I knew the host better.

molonlabetn

novaccw

imported post

I have to say I am very thankful and encouraged by the responses to my original post. I appreciate the encouragement. I do leave my gun in the car, I don't like unecessarily handling a load firearm, but I usually drop the mag, empty the chamber, and then store the magazine and firearm in seperate out-of-site locations. I don't want to make it easier for the criminals!!

VAopencarry

imported post

I say you are doing the right thing by not carrying in someone's house without their permission. You wouldn't walk in and light up a cigarette without knowing if it was OK with the homeowner to do so.......

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A few years back while my wife was in the pediatrician's office with one of our daughters, he asked if there were any firearms in the house. My wife showed some polite annoyance at the question (I should mention she also has a CCW and is an NRA member). The pediatrician good-naturedly said he had no problem with guns, and said he kept one at home himself. He said he just wanted to make sure we were careful to keep them out of reach of the kids.

Many physicians are pro-gun. I'm one of them.