• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wikipedia entry added: Open Carry

AbsolutZer0

imported post

I wrote a neutral Open Carry Wiki but no sooner had I posted it than one of the Wiki Nazi's slapped an NPOV tag on it. (Neutral Point of View), which means it could get deleted.

If anyone has any skill on Wiki Wording (appeasing thewiki beast as it were) then please jump in on the Wiki discussion or edit that sucker enough to make em happy. I thought it was well written, neutral and factual.

They probably think it's not neutral Probably because I used terms like "defensive tools" instead of "innocent people slayers"

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I gotta go with the article needs some work. It comes off more like a commerical for VCDL than anything else. Thats probably why it got flagged. Why don't we all give it some thought and add to it as we see fit.

VAopencarry

imported post

I am not a gifted writer so I will stay away from it:D. However, it is my understanding that VCDL does not encourage nor discourage open carry, they are officially neutral on the topic.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I did some editing. See what you think. The Open Carry in History section still needs some fleshing out, but I think that putting a wiki out there was a GREAT idea!

Thanks for getting the ball rolling!!!

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think maybe you should add a caveat to the map.

Something like "While state law may not prohibit open carry of loaded firearms, it is not uncommon for law enforcement to be unaware of this fact.Especially in states with highly restrictive laws regarding firearms ownership, even though legal, open carry could result in serious negative consequences for the open carrier".

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Good idea. I actually added it to the bottom of the section where the categories are defined. It seemed to fit there.

molonlabetn

imported post

It is very encouraging to see facts displayed without being tainted by liberal bias... Good Job! Truly the best Wiki article I've seen yet!

molonlabetn

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As you can see, only 7 states and the District of Columbia fully prohibit the open carry of firearms
Incredibly, five of those seven states are generally regarded as gun owner friendly.

TX, FL, SC, AR, and OK.

I made a couple of minor changes to spell out some numbers and to put one sentence into the third person rather than the second person.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
It is very encouraging to see facts displayed without bing tainted by liberal bias... Good Job! Truly the bast Wiki article I've seen yet!

molonlabetn

There are actually quite a few well written Wiki articles, but there is also lots of sheer nonsense.

I have heard there are thousands of pages dedicated to detailing the fictional lives of the characters on those trading cards that kids used to think so highly of. Can't think of the name of them off the top of my head.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You may have spoken too soon. It is been flagged again for copy editing and neutral point of view.

The copy editing I can understand. It is not as polished as it could be, and I am not an accomplished editor, and cleaning up the stylistic and grammer issues is a good thing.

The NPOV thing may or may not be a good thing. Since most of the article consists of facts that cannot be disputed, it may be a good thing.

molonlabetn

imported post

It will be very interesting to see what "other" editors do to this article... I, for one, will be keeping tabs on any attempts to corrupt this article or vilify open-carry through this supposedly objective resource.

Grrrr! :X

molonlabetn

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My suggestion is not to get too worked up about it. let them edit, and confine your objections and concernsto the talk page, rather than the content page.

The concealed carry entry is not too awful, although it is notable in that no mention of packing.org is made.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Let's not react too strongly to the re-adding of the NPOV tag. This tag is often initially added to topics that are considered potentially controversial to stimulate discussion.

As has been said by others, the place keep an eye on is the Talk page of the topic. We need to answer any concerns that other editors have in a manner that indicates that we know the article is factual and defend those facts, not opinions.

Everyone who has a Wiki account feel free to participate in the discussion as they occur. I am sure that there will be some anti's who will attempt to subvert the topic.

And thanks again to AbsolutZer0 for starting the Wiki!

PS. The Concealed Carry link on Wikipedia is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry

There is a link to Packing.org in the External Links section at the bottom.

VAopencarry

imported post

"I am confident that this article will benefit from the attention of Wikipedia editors with a differing views on this topic".... What the heck does this mean? Sounds like they are saying it will be OK once they put in some liberal slant.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

I put the states constitution stuff in what I think is alphabetical order. It looks better when stuff is somewhat organized.

also added handgunlaws.us as a refrence. dont much like packing and handgunlaws.us is from what i can tell non bias between open and conseal carry.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

also added handgunlaws.us as a refrence. dont much like packing and handgunlaws.us is from what i can tell non bias between open and conseal carry.
I have no problem with adding them as a reference.

However, they are DEFINITELY biased toward concealed carry. When I requested a link on their site, they replied that those were reserved for sites relating to CONCEALED CARRY only and that OpenCarry.Org did not qualify.

They are apparently targeting a niche audience, just as we are.