• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hurricane Prone Cities Say "You're On Your Own"

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Press Release by The CCRKBA

[line]As officials in several hurricane-prone states this week are preaching self- reliance to the public in case a disaster strikes, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA) reminds those officials that "such rhetoric is empty if the government moves to disarm citizens."

"Don't tell people to take care of themselves and then decide on a whim to take firearms away from those same people, leaving them defenseless," said CCRKBA Executive Director Joe Waldron. "In the aftermath of a disaster, when there is a breakdown of services and anarchy takes over, citizens have to provide for their own safety. Hurricanes and other natural disasters do not wash away constitutional rights, or the natural right of self- preservation."

Recalling the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, during which roving bands of police and other law enforcement officers, and squads of National Guard troopers disarmed citizens, sometimes at gunpoint, in and around New Orleans, Waldron cautioned public officials about repeating that egregious civil rights affront this year, anywhere a storm hits.

"Natural disasters do not give mayors or police chiefs the authority to trample state or federal Constitutions," Waldron observed. "Warrantless seizures of private property, specifically firearms, with no probable cause or a shred of evidence that any crime has been committed, must never happen again, anywhere in the United States. In situations where personal safety may depend on the presence of a firearm, it is preposterous for any public official to tell people to be prepared, and not include advice on securing a defensive firearm and ammunition, and the skills to use it if necessary.

"Presumably," Waldron said, "last year's restraining order against officials in the New Orleans area that stopped the gun confiscations there was an object lesson to every other public official in the hurricane region. It's easier to be self-reliant when you are prepared for self-defense."

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Whats shocking is that these governments are just finally telling the truth of how its always been. Americans have always been on their own in disasters, in a lot of other situations too, particularly crime but I digress.

VAopencarry

imported post

You are so right..... It amazes me that most Americans expect the government to solve every problem in their life. IMO most Americans have lost the 'American Spirit' long ago.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

Im light of the actions in new orleans(sp?) alaska has a new law, that addresses this problem. I cant remember the name of the bill but, it made it a federal offense for any leo or federal agent or other leo type to disarm citizens what are legaly alowed to have firearms, during a natural desaster or time of civil unrest.

ProguninTN

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
You are so right..... It amazes me that most Americans expect the government to solve every problem in their life. IMO most Americans have lost the 'American Spirit' long ago.
I'm with you.