• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GA Police Define Walmart as "Publilc Gathering"

VApatriot

imported post

That is a lot more prohibited places then we have here in Virginia, but a Walmart stilldoes not fit into any of those categories. Walmarts are not sporting events, churches, or political rallies. They do not serve alcohol, and they are privately owned. So how does it fitin as a public gathering?

TaosGlock

imported post

It's the words, "shall not be limited to" that weakens the otherwise vague code. In this case it's not just limited to athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises. So it can be extended to Wal-Mart.

Anytime there are exceptions, these serve to weaken said code and allow for interpetation by whoever is in authority. Keeps the attorneys busy.
Bottom line is that GA's OC code is not as OC as we would like.

Kappa's Travelers Guide interpets GA OC statue in such a way that he lists GA as "Prohibited". Boston's Gun Bible gives GA's OC Law a 5 on a 1-10 scale. While technically one can OC, expect problems. Other states are this way too.....unfortunately.

AbsolutZer0

imported post

Good Question!

And to overtaxed1: People push the limits of the laws because people are inherently free. Laws that result in the loss of freedom are not good laws. Peopl can't Control or Censor themselves? Why should you censor yourself? Because someone might be offended? That's only because when you are children certain "constructed morals" are imposed upon you. Certain things are inherently wrong. About ten of em actually.

Control...hmm like not buying car insurance? So what! This law beneifits the insuarance corporation because it FORCES people to buy insurance, garunteed money fro the state if you don't. Does it benefit you? If you have a fender bender, the results in their paint being kinda sorta scratched, they can calim insurance, MOST insurance claims are a result of cosmetic damage.

Look: You go to the store and buy eggs, when you get home and someone accident;y bumps into you causing you to drop the eggs...do you get your eggs back? Do you jump on them and angrily demand they pay fro your eggs, that were accidently destroyed?

The same with auto-insurance. Sure you worked your butt off for your brand new 25,000 dollar sports car. Is it MY fault you spent that much money? Why should I have to compensate you for your consumer stupidity? My car cost maybe a thousand bucks, until recently (fuel pump) it runs just fine. My motorcycle cost 600 bucks and it is a smooth running machine, ugly as hell but it got me where I needed to go.

People pay big money for "pretty cars" and "cool trucks". That;s what is wrong with this country. Opulence.

TrueBrit

imported post

It would almost seem that too many states, while allowing concealed carry,have managed to slip in a poison pill of some kind.Possibly to appease LEOs, liberals, who knows? The unfortunate outcome of the"restricted places", which seem deliberately vague, is that law-abiding packers inadvertantly fall foul of badly-written laws.

I wish the unfortunate gentleman in question the best of luck, it seems that he did nothing wrong,IMHO.

Zero, I enjoyed your posts, and agree with them,even if the sentiments were somewhat robustly expressed! Fear not, my wife is a Kentuckian, and I know how passionately the folks of the Commonwealth express themselves on issues about which they harbour strong feelings!:D

TrueBrit.

kw5kw

imported post

AbsolutZer0 wrote:
got the facts. I see the facts every time some politician takes a fat envelope from an anti-gun lobby, I see the facts every time the liberal whiners start talking about how guns are the problem yet they wont take their own saftey in their own goddamn hands. No, I have to pay tax dollars to pay for a goddamn police force to investigate their murder because they dont want to buy a ******* pistol and learn how to use it because"guns are bad" guns are the problem, because there is no way on earth someone could make the choice for themselves to do unjustified harm, they see the gun and THEN they want to muder someone.

******* liberal pussies. they can get the **** out of MY country, yeah I said it. MY Country, our forefathers left this to people like me who actually give a shit and know what our gun rights are for.

Don't blame LEO's? They CHOSE to become pigs, they knew what they were getting into. Let me repeat myself.
Fucks LEO's. **** the Government, **** Republicans and **** Liberals.

Vote Libertarian if you give a shit about freedom. If not just give up your guns now and hand over your land to some big corporation so they can put in a mini-mall or somethig else useful to society because apparently your home isn't useful enough if it stands in the way of big business. Oh and make sure to keep on paying 2.50 a gallon for gas because THATS the american way!

My absolute first post here is to comment on your lack of a rational use of language.

IMHO, the inability to control your language is paramount to your ability to rationalize a situation while packing.

Such language, my friend, offends my God-fearingChristian nature. There are other ways to express such language in an in-offensive manner... i.e.: Golly-Gee, Gee-Whiz or evern $*@(.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

HEY GUYS!!! We need help on this site more than venting.

The way to fight back is with calm reason and communication - remember how the pen is mightier than the sword? Well that's how the antis took away most gun rights in some states like Illinois.

Here is what we need - one of you guys find a link to the GA AG opinion opining that "public gathering" within the meaning of GA's firearm statutes would not normally include places like WalMart.

I am pretty sure that the opinion exists. But John and I need help rounding up these opinions to post on each state's page.

LEOs often charge people incorrectly - we have too many laws and too high penalties in the US today anyway. Every year, VA police seem to incorrectly charge high school students with felony violation of the state school gun ban even when the students are following exceptions to the law (i.e., unloaded and secured in a vehicle in a rack, case, or locked trunk).

Education is the key - let's find that AG opinion!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

From reading this opinion I can't see how a Walmart is a public gathering.

UNOFFICIAL OPINION U96-22
[align=left]To: Representative October 25, 1996 District 35 [/align]
Re: The provisions of O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127, which prohibit the carrying of deadly weapons to or at public gatherings, while not limited in application to the enumerated places and functions in the statute, do not apply to every place in which the public may be present, but only to those places in which the public is gathered.

You have recently written my office with a query regarding the scope of O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127. Specifically, you relate that a constituent has apparently been informed by various officials that this Code Section prohibits the possession of a handgun by an individual (even with a firearms permit issued under O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129) in any place open to the public because, if members of the public are present, this constitutes a "gathering" of the "public" and is thus prohibited. For the following reasons, I do not believe that this construction is the appropriate one.
Code Section 16-11-127 prohibits the carrying of any deadly weapon (not just a handgun) at or to a public gathering. The Section enumerates five areas which are, by operation of law, public gatherings. Those are athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, and establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises. The Code Section also indicates that the definition of public gathering is not limited to these five specific areas. O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127(b).
Therefore, your inquiry turns on this question: what other places are public gatherings at which the possession of a

deadly weapon is prohibited? In State v. Burns, 200 Ga. App. 16 (1991), the Court of Appeals, when faced with this very question, held that the focus should be on the "gathering" rather than on the "place." Thus, the Code Section applies when people are gathered or will gather for a particular function, but does not apply simply because a weapon is otherwise lawfully carried to a public place where people may be present.
In the same vein, this office concluded that a shopping mall is not a public gathering; the fact that people may be present, even in large numbers, does not necessarily constitute a public gathering. 1984 Op. Att'y Gen. U84-37. Of course, portions of a shopping mall leased to a church or to a government agency, or where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises, are areas to which the Code Section would apply by its own terms.
Finally, I would note that a parking area on the grounds of and in close proximity to an area which is a public gathering is a part of the public gathering and is thus subject to the prohibitions of this Code Section. Hubbard v. State, 210 Ga. App. 141 (1993).
Therefore, it is my unofficial opinion that the "public gathering" law, O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127, in addition to the five specific areas, focuses not on the place but the gathering of people, and that the prohibition against carrying a weapon applies to situations "when people are gathered or will be gathered for a particular function and not when a weapon is carried lawfully to a public place, where people may gather." Burns, 200 Ga. App. at 16 (emphasis in original).
Prepared by:

NEAL B. CHILDERS
Senior Assistant Attorney General

ProguninTN

imported post

Nice post, longwatch. I would have to agree, that if a shopping mall cannot be a public gathering, how can Walmart be ? This seems to be written in a very ambiguous manner. I wonder what the legislature was thinking :question:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
UNOFFICIAL OPINION U96-22

Thanks Longwatch! I found the official site for the opinion and added it to the GA page. That was quick turnaround!

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
Nice post, longwatch. I would have to agree, that if a shopping mall cannot be a public gathering, how can Walmart be ? This seems to be written in a very ambiguous manner. I wonder what the legislature was thinking :question:

I thinkmost of the quotes come from a court case not a statute. The statute is not too badly written, if interpreted by common use of the words. But claiming that astore is a public gathering is just plain an abuse of discretion.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Google is our friend, took me about a minute to find it. Interestingly is see in another opinion that active duty military are exempt from the prohibition along with not being require to get a permit to carry in Georgia. You know this reminds of the situation with the Starbucks case, just a matter of not understanding/ reading the law. I think this guy could beat the rap.

ProguninTN

imported post

ilbob wrote:
ProguninTN wrote:

I thinkmost of the quotes come from a court case not a statute. The statute is not too badly written, if interpreted by common use of the words. But claiming that astore is a public gathering is just plain an abuse of discretion.
On a second inspection, I think you are correct, ilbob.

Bolt06

imported post

do you know if all the states have that same "public gathering" law. I have been carrying into walmart in Penn. for 5-6 visits and haven't had a problem so far.

I do think that some prejudice entered in because of appearence.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Bolt06 wrote:
do you know if all the states have that same "public gathering" law. I have been carrying into walmart in Penn. for 5-6 visits and haven't had a problem so far.

No. This is a specifically Georgia phenomenon.

AbsolutZer0

imported post

You just proved my point. Golly-Gee Whiz and Gosh Dern are replacment words that have the EXACT same meaning and purpose, however someone decided that those "replacement" words are acceptable and other words are not. Someone like...offendable god fearing christians. I have no love for you or the morality the oppresses otherwise normal people. The founding fathers came to this country to escape the mixing of religous law and secular law (source: Declaration of Independence) while at the same time they still believed in freedom enough to allow its establishment.

You religion does not make me angry: It is your religion being forced into law that angers me.

If you are offended by made up words used to express anger, joy sdaness, then thats a personal problem, a psychosis, a neurosis.

Here is a new one to add to your dictionary of offensive words: Bohap.

Zipakna

imported post

i work in local government, specifically im the Head of IT for a Muni in Virginia. at least the cops in my city know better than to screw with me whem im carrying (oh im sorry i deleted your email account on accedent, oooo and all your contacts too,,, what? you cant access RMS to write your reports?)

anyways. in working in local government in several states and cities, in order for it to be properly considered a "public gathering" a Permit must be obtained for that gatthering else its considered a "gang" or a "Mob"

that means. unless walmart has a permit for a "public Gathering" FOR EACH DAY and specifying the reason (such as a peaceful picketing, March or lobby). all persons in walmart, can be prosicuted a gang members.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jpierce wrote:
It will take a lot more than a little profanity to get me to ban anyone. This is a forum for all who care to discuss firearms issues and I don't plan on starting down the road that other forums have went down by over-moderating people who might get a little over-excited about an issue.

These issues are dear to us all and I am as guilty as the next guy of sometimes letting the sheer stupidity of gun control force me to lose my cool.

Having said that, let's all try to remember that our words here will be read by those who are not our friends and may be twisted against us.
There is a big advantage here in that you can go back and edit out something you might come to regret saying later on. if I edit anything substantialmore than a few minutes after I post it, I usually indicate I did so. I won't normally indicate I corrected a typo though.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Zipakna wrote:

that means. unless walmart has a permit for a "public Gathering" FOR EACH DAY and specifying the reason (such as a peaceful picketing, March or lobby). all persons in walmart, can be prosicuted a gang members.
I am not overjoyed with having to ask permission to peacefully assemble and protest in a public place.