• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Packing in Public...

molonlabetn

imported post

Aside frommy paranoidfirst few months that I actively carried a handgun,when I first received my permit, I have not given much thought to what people think when they know that I do... Until lately. As I've been reading about others' experiences, on here and elsewhere, I have payed more attention to people's reactions, and watched them. Some folks are downright cool with the idea, others act flustered and surprised that it's legal, while even more are justEXTREMELY polite to me and pretend not to notice...

I am a pretty clean-cut mid-20s guy with slim-athletic build and absolutely NO resemblance at all to a 'gang-banger'. People who meet me think that I'm polite and well-spoken (I guess that I must have them fooled :D).

Saturday 6/3/06 @Manchester, TN McDonalds. 9-ish in the AM...

Me & my girlfriend. I'm wearing jeans & nice shirt w/ sleeves rolled up, 5" SA XD-45 Bi-Tonein Blackhawk SERPA Paddle @ 4 o'clock. Held the door open for an older couple to exit, and then entered behind my GF. Immediately to my right in the moderately busy restaurantwas a booth/table occupied 4 times by what appeared to be several retired gentlemen having Saturday coffee. I had their attention as soon as I walked in, and even before we made it to the counter to order I coulddetect them asking each other "is that legal?" amid their mutterings. This continued while we ate, I smiled and nodded to them as we walked out, to politely indicate that I was aware of their attention. Other than that I drew no discernible attention from any of the other patrons or employees, the teenage girl that took my order noticed, but didn't bat an eye.

Prior to this, we hadvisited a dozen-or-so yard/garage sales the samemorning in the area, as usual, without being hassled or anything. I doubt that1/4 of the people with whom I came in contact even recognized that I was carrying a gun, or cared.

I have yet to have a negative experience carrying in TN, or even detect any ill-will or discomfort from anyone around me... It certainly doesn't make for very interesting stories, but I think I'm happy about that!

Has anyone had any experiences open-carrying in any malls in TN? I have always concealed in the past, but during hot weather I wouldn't mind having some options...

molonlabetn

In pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I mentioned in one of my other posts that I open carry in West Hills Mall in Knoxville whenever I go there and have never had anyone say a thing.

Either last Christmas or the one before, my wife and I (and our kids) found a lost child wandering in the mall and took him to security who was an off duty Knox County deputy. Not a word was said about the openly carried guns.

PT-111

imported post

I have *kind of* open carried twice now.

Twice I have removed my outer cover garment in the parking lot of the local grocery store abd then gotten into my Jeep.
I know it is an extreemly small step but it is a step just the same. So far no wierd looks, no screams of fear....no nothing.

So, I will try open carrying soon. I'll keep you up to date.

PT-111

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Baby steps are fine. It took me a while to get used to OC. What helped a lot was going to VCDL meetings and OCing in a large group.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Once you open carry a bit, qualms over concealed carrying dissapear.

Once you bump into a citizen who asks if you are an LEO while you are open carrying and you laconically relate, "No, I'm just a guy, and you, are you an LEO?," you will build even more confidence at open carrying - the looks on their face varies - amusement, wonderment, bewilderment, satisfaction, curiosity, etc. - but it's always satisfying.

whiskeypapa

imported post

I was opencarrying in WallyWorldin Paris, TN.and as I was heading for the checkout, I passed in front of a plainclothes detective, his gun and badge were on his right hip, he abruptly stopped and stared at me, I went on as if he wasn't even there after a few seconds he went about what he was doing.:p

molonlabetn

imported post

That's one thing that I have never attempted... Open-Carry in Wal-Mart... Have you ever been hassled for doing so?

The store policies have never been entirely clear to me, and I am not one to invite legal trouble when the truth is not clear cut. I always just conceal. I should probably call them and see what their reaction would be.

molonlabetn

whiskeypapa

imported post

From what I understand, and take this for what it is worth, that wal-mart follows the law of the state that they are in i.e. TN is an open carry state so they allow opencarry, now if you get a manager who wants to be an a$$ about it you might get hassled.:(

hirundo82

imported post

I've heard that if you do get hassled in WallyWorld for legal carry, you can call the corporate office and they will take care of it. I'm sure the managers don't like getting those calls from higher up, so I think they tend to not bother people.

PT-111

imported post

I open carried for the first time tonight at the Kroger in Arlington. I was nervous but nothing bad happend.

I posted a seperate thread about it before I thought of posting my experience here.

I plan to open carry much more. I really enjoyed not having to wear a cover germent. No sweating my butt of on a simple trip to the store. What a joy.

PT-111

whiskeypapa

imported post

I don't conceal, even when wearing an IWB holster I keep my shirt tucked in behind it. And I carry all the time, except in restaurants that serve liqueur:X, I sure will be glad when they get that restaurant carry law changed.:p

PT-111

imported post

Any Idea when the law concerning Restaurant carry will be changed? That has to be one of the dumbest laws I have seen here in Tennessee since moving here.

ProguninTN

imported post

The biggest obstacle to restaurant carry is TN House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh (D-Covington). He is a corrupt, power hungry politician. If we can get him, or enough of his Democrat buddies out of the House, we may have a chance. One thing to note, his comrade, House Majority Leader Kim McMillan (D-Clarksville) is retiring from the House. Perhaps her seat may be filled by a Republican or Pro-2A Democrat. (Examples of Pro-gun Dems would include Ben West and Frank Buck). If anybody reading is from Clarskville, remember this come election time.

ProguninTN

molonlabetn

imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
That's one thing that I have never attempted... Open-Carry in Wal-Mart... Have you ever been hassled for doing so?

The store policies have never been entirely clear to me, and I am not one to invite legal trouble when the truth is not clear cut. I always just conceal. I should probably call them and see what their reaction would be.

molonlabetn

No problems!

I spent most of the day yesterday in Murfreesboro, OCing. Stones River Mall, Wal-Mart, a pet-store, and several other places... Nary a comment or sideways look. I must admit that I was a little apprehensive for the first 10-15 minutes in Wal-Mart, since I'd never OC'd in one before, but I quickly returned to normal and went about business-as-usual when there was no mass panic...

Just thought I'd share...

molonlabetn

steamnsteel

imported post

I just jumped on board and I open carry 90% of the time....Pigeon Forge, Tri-cities area, Gatlinburg and Knoxville. What happened to packing.org? I cant get the site to come up anymore.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The Mall at Johnsonville is posted: No weapons of any kind

I didn't notice whether it was posted ON the door, but it is posted on their "Standards of Conduct" inside the mall - first item on the list.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
Did it reference Title 39, Chapter 17, Section 1359 ? In order to be valid, it must.

ProguninTN

Sorry, didn't notice. I was carrying concealed, and didn't see anything until I got inside the mall. I didn't know what to look for, but figured it was smarter just to do my business and then leave.

BTW - 9.5% sales tax?!?!?!?! Didn't do much shopping; bought only what I must.