• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Packing in Public...

presbyreformed

imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
I've heard good things about Smart-Carry as a method of concealment, but my main concern with this and other 'deep-concealment' holsters is the difficult or time-consuming draw motion, which may require both hands. I carry open quite frequently for several reasons, one of which is to reduce draw-time.

If I lived in a state which required me to conceal, or there were penalties for 'printing', a Smart-Carry would be at the top of my list.

molonlabetn

Like anything else it takes practice. One thing to keep in mind about the Smartcarry is that there has to be room in your pants for both you and the gun! If it is too tight when you put the gun on, you will have more trouble.

For me, I've developed the technique for quick drawing it. I can draw almost as fast from my smartcarry as I can from by strong side OWB when I have to lift up a shirt to get to it. With practice the smartcarry is much more versatile than most CC holsters, much more comfortable than most CC holsters, and just as accessible as any CC holster.

I love one of the posts on the guy's website. When asked by a lady how she could get to her gun in her smartcarry when wearing a dress that did not have a separate skirt, he replied: "Well, you could always reach down and pull the dress up far enough to get to it. The added benefit is that it would probably buy you several seconds of stunned surprise on the part of the perp!"

LeagueOf1291

imported post

presbyreformed wrote:
<snip>

I love one of the posts on the guy's website. When asked by a lady how she could get to her gun in her smartcarry when wearing a dress that did not have a separate skirt, he replied: "Well, you could always reach down and pull the dress up far enough to get to it. The added benefit is that it would probably buy you several seconds of stunned surprise on the part of the perp!"
I've done some video production, and I thought of doing a promo for guys wearing kilts and a concealed weapon. You'd get the same "freeze frame" reaction from the perp when you hauled up the rags to reach for the weapon. I mean, just think of the camera shots in the commercial!

armedandfree

imported post

My local theatre (Tinseltown, USA in Oak Ridge) has a little green--I wouldn't call it a sign, yet not an index card--that has a bad picture of a large pistol. It says, in 1/2 inch lettering, no guns allowed. There are two of them, one in each ticket window. They are next to the doors, but not in them. One of them is partially behind an advertisement. Tell me-how legal is that? Not at all, I suppose. I've seen several people printing rather badly in line ahead of me, adn they never said a word. Maybe they caught on that it isn't legal?

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Mike wrote:
Plus, wearing extra clothing in summer months makes you look like a criminal - ether a drug user or somebody concealing weapons.

Along the same lines, as has been mentioned here by others, I'm tired of "hiding" my rights.
To me, CC is akin to sneaking around and hiding like we're doing something wrong. I'm sick of feeling like a criminal for doing something perfectly LEGAL, carrying a firearm. OC is the answer. Wear it open and proud.

Hello, my name is Rich, and I'm a open carry-a-holic[/b :)

Kingfish

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:

Hello, my name is Rich, and I'm a open carry-a-holic[/b :)

I feel the exact same way. It took me less than a week after getting my permit to decide CC is not for me. I will still conceal some, but 95% of the time it will be out in the open on my right hip.

ProguninTN

imported post

I open carried today. It was my first time doing so in an urban environment. About 4-5 people saw me. No problems to report.

ProguninTN

molonlabetn

imported post

Awesome...

It takes some getting used to, I guess to realize that people aren't gawking at you like you expect... I still get a twinge of apprehensionsometimes whenI walk into a new place. Goes with the territory, I suppose.

It's worth it... the freedom, the lack of a blocky pistol pressed against my sweaty side under my clothes (what an image... sorry), and the constant reminder to be aware of one's surroundings and demeanor.

:celebrate(this guy is something else, isn't he?)

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

To the first page posts about Wal-Mart. Their Corporate policy is to allow open carry or concealed carry if it is legal in the state. If a specific store trys to tell you it's not allowed comply with them and leave noting store location and the managers name. Call Corporate and let them know what happened with details along with the location of the store and the managers name. I bet it won't happen again.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

jeepinbanditrider wrote:
To the first page posts about Wal-Mart. Their Corporate policy is to allow open carry or concealed carry if it is legal in the state. If a specific store trys to tell you it's not allowed comply with them and leave noting store location and the managers name. Call Corporate and let them know what happened with details along with the location of the store and the managers name. I bet it won't happen again.
That's what I used to think. Unfortunately, it no longer seems to be the case. Check the Virginia forums here and you'll see what I mean.

TN_TITANS

imported post

fill me in on smart carry. never heard of it.presbyreformed wrote:
molonlabetn wrote:
I've heard good things about Smart-Carry as a method of concealment, but my main concern with this and other 'deep-concealment' holsters is the difficult or time-consuming draw motion, which may require both hands. I carry open quite frequently for several reasons, one of which is to reduce draw-time.

If I lived in a state which required me to conceal, or there were penalties for 'printing', a Smart-Carry would be at the top of my list.

molonlabetn

Like anything else it takes practice. One thing to keep in mind about the Smartcarry is that there has to be room in your pants for both you and the gun! If it is too tight when you put the gun on, you will have more trouble.

For me, I've developed the technique for quick drawing it. I can draw almost as fast from my smartcarry as I can from by strong side OWB when I have to lift up a shirt to get to it. With practice the smartcarry is much more versatile than most CC holsters, much more comfortable than most CC holsters, and just as accessible as any CC holster.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I got my HCP early in October and have been OC ever since. I live in a very rural area of Western Tn and folks around here just don't seem to notice. That's fine, but I feel like I'm missing out on the oppertunity to edumacate some one. :(

I even OC'd at my bank this week. Well.... sort of. It was cold and I had a waist length jacket on and it probably half way covered the 9mm Mak I had holstered in an Uncle Mikes ambitecterous belt holster. I had asked the previous week if they had a no firearms policy and the teller said that she didn't think they did. The only concern she could see might be with other customers.

I've been to the Walmart in Holenwald a couple times since the weather has cooled. Again my firearm wasn't fully concealed and I'm sure that everytime I reached up to a shelf or bent over my holstered handgun was fully revealed. No one has seemed to notice or displayed any alarm.

The funniest thing to happen was the other day. An old man came out to pick up an old wood stove we had behind the shop. We were standing next to our tractor with a front end loader while I was trying to get it started. We had been talking when his voice sort of went up and he said, "You carryin' a gun out here in the woods?" I said "Yeah, I carry one everywhere I go, even to town?" Told him I had my HCP and he didn't say any more about it.

massltca

imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
That's one thing that I have never attempted... Open-Carry in Wal-Mart... Have you ever been hassled for doing so?

The store policies have never been entirely clear to me, and I am not one to invite legal trouble when the truth is not clear cut. I always just conceal. I should probably call them and see what their reaction would be.

molonlabetn

I have never tried carrying open in Wal Mart because although is not posted I'm not sure what their policy is. I've only carried openly once since getting my HCP in a gas station on the way to work and no one seemed to notice or care. But I think that had more to do with the fact that I had my Brinks uniform on. I carry open around the apartment complex where I live but I still am not brave enough to do it in public places.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

massltca wrote:
molonlabetn wrote:
That's one thing that I have never attempted... Open-Carry in Wal-Mart... Have you ever been hassled for doing so?

The store policies have never been entirely clear to me, and I am not one to invite legal trouble when the truth is not clear cut. I always just conceal. I should probably call them and see what their reaction would be.

molonlabetn

I have never tried carrying open in Wal Mart because although is not posted I'm not sure what their policy is. I've only carried openly once since getting my HCP in a gas station on the way to work and no one seemed to notice or care. But I think that had more to do with the fact that I had my Brinks uniform on. I carry open around the apartment complex where I live but I still am not brave enough to do it in public places.
SAH, go ahead, do a Wally world this weekend. The worst that can happen is that they ask you to leave.

I had to go to the DicksonWalmart yesterday and didn't have a jacket on this time. Was carrying a Mak 9mm in an Uncle Mike black nylon belt holtser and I don't think a soul noticed that I was armed. Stroled past several associates (2 or 3 may have been dept leaders) and they didn't pay me any mind at all. Didn't hear any gasps, didn't see any wide eyed glances at my holster, nothing. I even brushed my arm agains my side to make sure my holstered gunwas still there. I didn't get any more attention (that I'm aware of) than I would have if I hadn't carried at all.

Folks in my neck of the woods seem to be just fine with seeing guns carried in public. Life is good.

massltca

imported post

I finally did open carry at Wal Mart last week on the way home from work and no one seemed to notice or care. Then at the gas station, again no reaction. I beginning to see that it isn't such a huge deal. I really expected people would see the gun and flip out. I'm glad that hasn't happened.........yet. :)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

massltca wrote:
I finally did open carry at Wal Mart last week on the way home from work and no one seemed to notice or care. Then at the gas station, again no reaction. I beginning to see that it isn't such a huge deal. I really expected people would see the gun and flip out. I'm glad that hasn't happened.........yet. :)
Now, you weren't in your Brinks unithis timewere you?

massltca

imported post

Yes I was. I don't usually go into a store unless I'm on my way home from work. But now that I've done that it'll be easier to open carry in street clothes. It's taking awhile for me to get used to the idea. Also there is some resistance from my wife, she doesn't want to get kicked out of Wal Mart or something. Which I can totally understand. I'll get there, I'm taking baby steps right now.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

massltca wrote:
Yes I was. I don't usually go into a store unless I'm on my way home from work. But now that I've done that it'll be easier to open carry in street clothes. It's taking awhile for me to get used to the idea. Also there is some resistance from my wife, she doesn't want to get kicked out of Wal Mart or something. Which I can totally understand. I'll get there, I'm taking baby steps right now.

You may get more looks without the uniform, maybe not. I can relate to the uneasiness of OC at first. I've just been carrying since Oct, I had never carried a side arm in public before in my life. I started out OC right off the bat and it was a really weird feeling at first. I still have an uneasy felling about it when I go somewhere I've never been before, but I just waltz in as if I didn't have a gun on. So far, I've not had any problems or noticed any scared looks. And I'm getting less and less concerned about it all the time.

I'm looking forward to my first oppertunity to educate someone. I may have to find out where the liberals allhide out. :lol:

James

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I got my HCP early in October and have been OC ever since. I live in a very rural area of Western Tn and folks around here just don't seem to notice. That's fine, but I feel like I'm missing out on the oppertunity to edumacate some one. :(

I even OC'd at my bank this week. Well.... sort of. It was cold and I had a waist length jacket on and it probably half way covered the 9mm Mak I had holstered in an Uncle Mikes ambitecterous belt holster. I had asked the previous week if they had a no firearms policy and the teller said that she didn't think they did. The only concern she could see might be with other customers.

I've been to the Walmart in Holenwald a couple times since the weather has cooled. Again my firearm wasn't fully concealed and I'm sure that everytime I reached up to a shelf or bent over my holstered handgun was fully revealed. No one has seemed to notice or displayed any alarm.

The funniest thing to happen was the other day. An old man came out to pick up an old wood stove we had behind the shop. We were standing next to our tractor with a front end loader while I was trying to get it started. We had been talking when his voice sort of went up and he said, "You carryin' a gun out here in the woods?" I said "Yeah, I carry one everywhere I go, even to town?" Told him I had my HCP and he didn't say any more about it.
Just wondering, if you 'open carry' and your coat conceals the weapon, wouldnt that be 'concealed carry'?