• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand jury says shooter acted in self-defense

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I remember when this case happened, it seemed to be justified at the time. Sorry to see it had gone this far but glad to see justice done for the defender.

The Trentonian
DOYLESTOWN, Pa.
-- Believing a Philadelphia man was acting in self-defense, a grand jury chose not to charge him in the fatal Easter shooting of one man and seriously wounding another, according to its investigation released yesterday.

According to the report, Randy Dillon, 25, of the 1400 block of Riverside Drive, Philadelphia, was parked at the Wawa gas station on Route 1 in Bensalem, Pa. on March 27 at 1:45 a.m. when he was attacked by a group of 17- to 20-year-old Philadelphia residents who were drinking and partying at the Neshaminy Motor Inn.

"I think it is important for the public to know the truth as to what happened. Based upon our inquiry, we find that Randy Dillon acted in self-defense and should not be charged with any offense in the matter. We find that the individuals who assaulted Dillon initiated the physical confrontation," said the grand jury report.

"Randy Dillon was standing outside the Wawa talking to another person about their cars when two girls pulled into the parking lot," said District Attorney Diane Gibbons.

"Dillon remarked that the girls were driving erratically and the men in the car following the girls got out and started confronting Mr. Dillon and it became a verbal argument.

"Here we have one guy against eight people. They all gathered around him. They acted with a packed mentality," Gibbons said. "Dillon showed them he had a gun, loaded a bullet in the chamber, but the group continued to be aggressive, even after he fired a warning shot into the air."

Dillon had a valid permit to carry a gun saying he felt better with one because he lived in Philadelphia, Gibbons said.

The group, which included Philadelphia residents Robert Kilmer, Vincent Leporace, Ryan Clement, Alex Ryzinski, Matthew Taylor, Matthew Bateman and Kristen Gaspero, knocked Dillon down and proceeded to kick and beat Dillon, fearing for his life and that he may sustain serious injury, fired a gun into the person who was directly on top of him.

The shot killed Matthew Taylor, 19, of Sheffield Avenue.

He broke away, the angry group followed and Dillon fired a shot in the direction of the group, striking Ryzinski, 19, of Rhawn Street. He survived.

The attackers said they went to the Wawa to get something to eat, and were not looking for trouble, said Taylor’s stepfather Robert Tausenfreundt, who said he believes the fight ensued after Dillon fired shots.

"The evidence backed up Dillon’s version of what happened. The grand jury actually wanted to charge the people who beat up Mr. Dillon, but there was no way we could identify who they were," Gibbons said.

Tausenfreundt was not pleased and said his wife was very upset.

"I don’t understand. I can’t believe nothing is going to happen to him. It’s unbelievable to me," Tausenfreundt said.

"Something is not right here."
©The Trentonian2006

TaosGlock

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I remember when this case happened, it seemed to be justified at the time. Sorry to see it had gone this far but glad to see justice done for the defender.

The Trentonian.
The attackers said they went to the Wawa to get something to eat, and were not looking for trouble, said Taylor’s stepfather Robert Tausenfreundt, who said he believes the fight ensued after Dillon fired shots.

"The evidence backed up Dillon’s version of what happened. The grand jury actually wanted to charge the people who beat up Mr. Dillon, but there was no way we could identify who they were," Gibbons said.

Tausenfreundt was not pleased and said his wife was very upset.

"I don’t understand. I can’t believe nothing is going to happen to him. It’s unbelievable to me," Tausenfreundt said.

"Something is not right here."

TaosGlock wrote:
Always amazes me how the parents (stepdad in this case, kid likely comes from a broken home) always deny the fact their kids would be doing anything wrong. Perhaps they know they are at least partly to blame at some level and make statements like this as a form of denial.
This is a sad situation that actually represents a fair amount of youth related self defense shootings.