• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you ready for a gunfight?

What Level Of Shooter Are You?

• Level 1: Don't shoot.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Level 2: Practice on standard ranges.

• Level 3: Attend training classes.

• Level 4: Match Shooter.

• Level 5: Been in gunfights.

• Total voters

AbNo

imported post

jpierce wrote:
The shooting sport that me and my wife and kids are into is a lot of fun as well.  We do Cowboy Mounted Shooting.

If you think IDPA is fun, try shooting targets at a dead gallop with a horse who isn't too happy about the gunshots.  Now THAT is fun :D

Anyone in the NE Tennessee/SW Virginia area is welcome to come watch one of our events.  We have a practice this Sunday June 11th at Lowland TN and a 2 day match in Bristol TN on June 24 & 25.  Directions and our club info is at http://www.TNRidgeRunners.com

This is me and my horse Shooter at a recent event....

Protip: Do not try using Cowboy-style powder in .45 ACP loads unless you like lots of smoke.

I got to try those rounds I made last Christmas, and had to put my grandpa's Cowboy Action Shooting powder in that (all he had).

Cleaning a 1911 has never been so involved.... :lol:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rattrapper wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
One of the first things your shooting victim or his family (if you killed him) is going to try in prove is that you were not competent to have a fire arm.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Not competent? hell you hit him when you fired at him.

It makes perfect sense! A competent shooter should be able to shoot the gun out of his/her attackers handand then keep shooting the gun accross the ground out of the attackers reach, until the attacker decides that he's met his match and gives up. A competent shooter should be able to do this while sipping tea, pinky out. If you can't do that you are not competent enough with a firearm to be carrying one around in public.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury............I rest my case.:p

I hope this was tongue and cheek, When The pucker factor kicks in, and your adrenaline takes over. You will not shoot as well as you did under competition. this is a fact that has been bourne out in many gunfights.

There is a program that was sponsored by S&W, That adressed these issues. And anyone who expects others to remain so calm as to get it all together, Sight Alignment, Trigger Control, Breathing, in the flash of a gun fight is not being realistic. A person would have to made of ice and without care to him/her self to perform in sucha manner.

It was "tongue and cheek". Even without the "pucker factor" I don't believe anyone could pull off what I had suggested.

I made an attempt (didn't pass the PT requirements and was honorably discharged)at the Army at a late age. Our company was the first to use a new computerized qualifying range with our for the M16. It had allot of pop targets from 50m to 300m, some of them were moving targets. We only had about 2 to 3 seconds to shoot at them before they droped back down. We had to knock down as many as we could, as they popped up randomly, simulating an enemy force advancing on our position. It was hectic enough as it was, but I doubt I would have scored as well as I did (Marksman) had those targets been a real enemy force that was shooting back.

I target practice with my arms and have been doing some drills I've come up with to simulate gun fight scenarios, but I won't know if I'll be ready for it until the time comes. And I hope that time never comes.

imported post

I would like to share with you some observations I made last Friday. I spent Thanksgiving with my daughter's family in San Jose California.

Friday I went shooting with two of my son in laws and had a nice time.

The first part of the time we were shooting pistols and all of the guys and gals on the pistol side of the range were your normal group of people, including all races and genders and everyone was well behaved and seemed to pretty much know what they were doing.

When we had shot up all the ammo we wanted to shoot, my one son in law wanted to shoot some 00 buck from his Mossberg 590, so we went over to the other side of the firing line and did we get our eyes opened.

The first part of the firring line was composed of normal rifle shooters, parents kids and everyone was using proper protocol and all and then we got to where we could shoot the shotgun.

In that area were a group of Hispanic folks that ranged in age from their 50's to sub teens.

Before I went I read up on California gun laws and so I was shocked when I saw about every kind of long gun that was illegal in California, that I could imagine.

That shock was mild as compared to the concern I then had for our safety as I watched this large group of some 20 or so, handle these guns. In no time at all I felt the the safest place, at that end of the firring line was out by the targets.

Everyone there and the best part of 4 counties were covered by one muzzle or another on so many occasions that I could not count that high.

No one had any clue as to how you hold or handle a long gun and I feared for the cattle up on the hill behind the back stop as the expended rounds were flying in every direction except at the targets.

They were all dressed in what I would consider "gang-banger" attire and I, along with my 2 son in laws, got out of there as soon as possible.

To rap up this rambling post, If this group even remotely represents what we practice to prepare for, then I like our eventual chances better all the time.

Practice does help to prepare, but that practice needs to be with a purpose and using proper techniques that will help you get your rounds on target.

What they were doing would do little more than increase their confidence, while it did little or nothing for their competence.

I had heard that people can own and use guns, while at the same time have little or no competent abilities with those guns, and now I know that this can be true.

Continue to practice, using correct techniques and prepare. Your chances, if you ever are called on to use your skills, may be better than you think.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Paladin_Havegun_Willtravel wrote:
I would like to share with you some observations I made last Friday. I spent Thanksgiving with my daughter's family in San Jose California.

Friday I went shooting with two of my son in laws and had a nice time.

The first part of the time we were shooting pistols and all of the guys and gals on the pistol side of the range were your normal group of people, including all races and genders and everyone was well behaved and seemed to pretty much know what they were doing.

When we had shot up all the ammo we wanted to shoot, my one son in law wanted to shoot some 00 buck from his Mossberg 590, so we went over to the other side of the firing line and did we get our eyes opened.

The first part of the firring line was composed of normal rifle shooters, parents kids and everyone was using proper protocol and all and then we got to where we could shoot the shotgun.

In that area were a group of Hispanic folks that ranged in age from their 50's to sub teens.

Before I went I read up on California gun laws and so I was shocked when I saw about every kind of long gun that was illegal in California, that I could imagine.

That shock was mild as compared to the concern I then had for our safety as I watched this large group of some 20 or so, handle these guns. In no time at all I felt the the safest place, at that end of the firring line was out by the targets.

Everyone there and the best part of 4 counties were covered by one muzzle or another on so many occasions that I could not count that high.

No one had any clue as to how you hold or handle a long gun and I feared for the cattle up on the hill behind the back stop as the expended rounds were flying in every direction except at the targets.

They were all dressed in what I would consider "gang-banger" attire and I, along with my 2 son in laws, got out of there as soon as possible.

To rap up this rambling post, If this group even remotely represents what we practice to prepare for, then I like our eventual chances better all the time.

Practice does help to prepare, but that practice needs to be with a purpose and using proper techniques that will help you get your rounds on target.

What they were doing would do little more than increase their confidence, while it did little or nothing for their competence.

I had heard that people can own and use guns, while at the same time have little or no competent abilities with those guns, and now I know that this can be true.

Continue to practice, using correct techniques and prepare. Your chances, if you ever are called on to use your skills, may be better than you think.
Interesting story.

I have told many people that if I am ever accosted by some gangbanger, I hope he holds his handgun sideways as we commonly see in movies and on TV. That way I am pretty sure I will be the one that gets in the deciding round to target.

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
......I have told many people that if I am ever accosted by some gangbanger, I hope he holds his handgun sideways as we commonly see in movies and on TV. That way I am pretty sure I will be the one that gets in the deciding round to target.

This was my first experience up close and personal with this type of individual. I have known a lot of Hispanics and blacks in my life and have many good friends in both groups, but they are not in this general "gang culture" that I saw in San Jose.

They didn't have any handguns, that I saw, but now that you mention it, they did look like they were trying to mimic what they had seen in the movies.

This one kid had a very nice looking pump shotgun with a full length rib and a beautiful wood stock, and when the range master called for all to stop firing and open the actions on their weapons, he just sort of dropped this gun on the cement.

When the range master came to check the actions, he turned it over, carefully opened the action and then carefully put it back down, but the kid that was shooting it had no respect for it at all......I was not close enough to determine its make, but from what I saw I would have loved to have that gun.

SouthernBoy

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
......I have told many people that if I am ever accosted by some gangbanger, I hope he holds his handgun sideways as we commonly see in movies and on TV. That way I am pretty sure I will be the one that gets in the deciding round to target.

This was my first experience up close and personal with this type of individual. I have known a lot of Hispanics and blacks in my life and have many good friends in both groups, but they are not in this general "gang culture" that I saw in San Jose.

They didn't have any handguns, that I saw, but now that you mention it, they did look like they were trying to mimic what they had seen in the movies.

This one kid had a very nice looking pump shotgun with a full length rib and a beautiful wood stock, and when the range master called for all to stop firing and open the actions on their weapons, he just sort of dropped this gun on the cement.

When the range master came to check the actions, he turned it over, carefully opened the action and then carefully put it back down, but the kid that was shooting it had no respect for it at all......I was not close enough to determine its make, but from what I saw I would have loved to have that gun.
That's just nuts. Treating property like that. But if it is his, then it's his decision to take. Still a shame, though.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

That's just nuts. Treating property like that. But if it is his, then it's his decision to take. Still a shame, though.
I remember that when I took the gun safety course for my HCP that the instructors told us that if we dropped our weapon, not to pick it up let them do it.

Tomahawk

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I remember that when I took the gun safety course for my HCP that the instructors told us that if we dropped our weapon, not to pick it up let them do it.
When I was in the Marine Corps I learned that if I dropped my rifle I would very quickly be following it to the deck, face first.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
When I was in the Marine Corps I learned that if I dropped my rifle I would very quickly be following it to the deck, face first.
Yeah, Army boot camp was the same way. You could be on the deck for awhile, too. And be terribly exausted when you got back up.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Paintball (modified Nelspot 007 bolt actions @ 500+ fps) provided better close combat 'training' than anything I'd ever done prior. (Already been in real gunfights).

Multi-dimensional environment (You may be gettin' shot at from several directions at once) Use of cover, concealment and movement. Various target azimuths. Targets shoot back. No 'prepared' field nonsense.

marine77

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Yeah, Army boot camp was the same way. You could be on the deck for awhile, too. And be terribly exausted when you got back up.

+1, and +2

marine77

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I don't mean to disrespect anyone, but there are only a couple of guys on this thread that know if they are ready for a gunfight or not.

Some people will be able to have bullets wizzing around their heads and remain calm and take care of business, and some will not.

Some will be able to shoot another human being and some will not.

I don't care what kind of training you have taken, unless the targets are shooting back, you don't know.

I have trained. I have shot stationary targets, moving targets, multiple targets, and I can pull and shoot and hit what I aim at.

That does not tell me I'm ready for a gunfight.

I have taken fire, remained calm and taken care of business, that tells me I'm as ready as as anyone can be for a gunfight.

Those that have been there know what I mean.
Yes sir.

I am a firm believer in the concept that no one really knows how they are going to react in a deadly encounter until they are actually in one (or about to be like RIGHT NOW). Unless you have experienced taking and returning fire, you have no point of reference from which to draw. And people can surprise you with their response. You might have someone who likes to brag about what he'll do and then when hit with reality, he may be the first to crap his pants.

We train in order to have the hand/eye coordination and ability to deliver rounds to target. But when that target is flesh and blood, the one thing we cannot prepare for is taking that person down with deliberate fire.

The one thing that gets good people injured or killed is hesitation.. second guessing a situation and wishing it was not real. The BG, on the other hand, has no qualms about hurting you or worse. I don't know how to teach someone to aggressively and with extreme prejudice, deliver rounds to a human being and do so without hesitation or compassion.

You report that you have been there and done that which gives you a knowledge base that most all of us lack. And most importantly, you know how you might react should the need ever arise again. Glad you made it through.
While i see a lot of people saying things about putting rounds out and hitting the BG's, you don't see a lot of people saying that they think about taking rounds. A person has to prepare himself a lot mentally for this. (IMHO, if i am definitely going to go, i want to take the BG with me). There is the mental game a person has to play and think about from all points of view from when the shtf to the point where you prevail or die.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

"The one thing that gets good people injured or killed is hesitation.. second guessing a situation and wishing it was not real. The BG, on the other hand, has no qualms about hurting you or worse. I don't know how to teach someone to aggressively and with extreme prejudice, deliver rounds to a human being and do so without hesitation or compassion."

Yep! And the element of surprise is not gonna be on your side. If yer gonna stand there wonderin' if you'll be sued... jailed, or what your employer will do/say... or whatever... you may as well leave theguns at home. Criminals with guns are very violent... and usually nervous. They WILL try to kill you.Assume the worst.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

While i see a lot of people saying things about putting rounds out and hitting the BG's, you don't see a lot of people saying that they think about taking rounds.
Taking rounds??? :what:

WachutalkinboutWillis?

Seriously, i think if we have to draw our weapons against a BG, we have already thought about the possibilty of "taking rounds". We're going to be pulling the trigger with the intent of preventing taking hits, or at least reduce the hit count taken.

xd9sc

imported post

I guess i would put myslef between level 3 and 4. From spring to fall, I shoot action pistol, which is very similar to idpa, at least once a week. Plus we have the same setup for rifles at my local club too, to we also get some practice/training on defensive rifles. I also go to the standard range as often as i can. I practice, and shoot with many ex-military, and am planning to try andtake a few classes at blackwater in the summer.

Overtaxed

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
While i see a lot of people saying things about putting rounds out and hitting the BG's, you don't see a lot of people saying that they think about taking rounds.
Taking rounds??? :what:

WachutalkinboutWillis?

Seriously, i think if we have to draw our weapons against a BG, we have already thought about the possibilty of "taking rounds". We're going to be pulling the trigger with the intent of preventing taking hits, or at least reduce the hit count taken.

A cousin of mine served on the NYPD way back when. He showed me one of the training tapes he had access to. It was gripping stuff - a dry-fire re-enactment of the infamous Platt and Maddox vs. FBI shootout in Dade County. (Not the surprisingly good made for TV movie that was part of the 'in the line of duty' series).
As I recall, there were a lot of "takeaway" tactical lessons of various sorts.
Certainly plenty of "hard" skills such as weapon preparation/retention, etc.
But a crucial "soft" skill was also emphasized, as well. That of a "survival"
mentality on the part of officers taking part in a gun battle.
The point was made that the slain agents had wounds that were survivable - these
men essentially "gave up" and were polished off at point-blank range by the two criminals. The men that survived the encounter continued to perform despite serious wounds, including fellow that famously racked the slide of his pump shotgun and fired it with the same arm.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
"The one thing that gets good people injured or killed is hesitation.. second guessing a situation and wishing it was not real. The BG, on the other hand, has no qualms about hurting you or worse. I don't know how to teach someone to aggressively and with extreme prejudice, deliver rounds to a human being and do so without hesitation or compassion."

Yep! And the element of surprise is not gonna be on your side. If yer gonna stand there wonderin' if you'll be sued... jailed, or what your employer will do/say... or whatever... you may as well leave theguns at home. Criminals with guns are very violent... and usually nervous. They WILL try to kill you.Assume the worst.
Absolutely right. It is amazing how quickly a bad situation can develop out of nowhere. Knowing your surroundings, reading the signs, and reacting first is your best bet when caught in a situation. Better to not be caught in one if possible, though.

I have always taught my wife and children and others with whom I have discussed this topic, that you always work backwards from a developing worse case scenario. If you try to work up to (forwards), you will most always be trailing and behind the pending action. Better to assume the worse and work backwards when you can.