• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Corolla / Outer Banks

novaccw

imported post

I am heading to the Outer Banks next Saturday to meet my family for vacation... yeah I am one of those annoying tourists. My VA Concealed Permit is recipricated in North Carolina so I have been thinking about concealed carrying, especially on the way up to Corolla. Here is my reasoning...it is a big tourist area...and I am nervous that the local police will not take kindly to OC. Normally I would be more than happy to educate, however, I am going to be on vacation and just don't want the hassle (I feel guilty saying that). Any advice from you NC residents?

PS - If you are like me, you NC residents probably avoid tourists in the Outer Banks like I avoid the tourists at the monuments in D.C.

makesnow

imported post

Watch out a lot of the outer banks is national park were carry open or concealed is not allowed. Outside of that let us know how it goes if you open carry.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

There is no need to feel guilty for not wanting to get hassled on your vacation. Any time we open carry, we stand prepared to answer questions and potentially have conversations with law enforcement.

If you are on vacation with family and do not want to deal with that during your relaxation, it makes perfect sense.

Have fun, and as others have mentioned, look out for national parks!!!!

PS. Snap some bikini pics for the rest of us poor slobs who are sitting here in the mountains in the rain :D

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wish I was going...:(. Spent many a summer week there. Anywho... State Rt.12 looks to run the whole coast. Rt 64 (not the interstate) intersects Rt. 12 at Whalebone Junction. It pretty much looks like you'll be in Cape Hatteras National Seashore south of that intersection, all the way to Buxton. As for Corolla, waaayyy up North of there looks like (and pretty much all of the commercial/residential areas north of Whalebone junction) are not part of the National Seashore. I've looked over a few maps of the area to come up with this. You may want to check the National Park Service website for a better detailed description. Here's a link to their National Park areas in North Carolina. Be safe, but have a great time! ENJOY.

(edited for punctuation and spelling - I am my worst enemy when it come to this. It's also too early to spell on a Monday:cool:)

novaccw

imported post

From what I could tell from maps, we will not be crossing into any National Parks areas on the way to Corolla...so I will be armed. Jpierce, you have no idea how much I envy your living in the mountains. I hate the city, as soon as I find a decent job in the country/mountains...I am outta here!! I just see it as paying my dues right now!!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

novaccw wrote:
From what I could tell from maps, we will not be crossing into any National Parks areas on the way to Corolla...so I will be armed. Jpierce, you have no idea how much I envy your living in the mountains. I hate the city, as soon as I find a decent job in the country/mountains...I am outta here!! I just see it as paying my dues right now!!

I lived in Northern VA for 10 years before I was able to move back down this way. The good way to look at it is, with the profit on your house in NOVA, you can buy one outright when you move and have no mortgage (a good definition of Heaven on Earth) :D

VApatriot

imported post

novaccw wrote:
I can completely echo that. As soon as circumstance will allow,I plan to move the Blacksburg area. Despite all the college students, that is truly God's country!

GlockEm

imported post

Hey NovaCCW,

Please post howyour carrying experiencewas when you come back. I am heading down that way (Duck, NC)for vacation in August and would like to know what to expect with OC.

Thanks!

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Any report on how the carry on vacation went? I will be staying in a rental house north of corolla in a few weeks and wanted to try to determine what anyone found out about legality. We will be staying a couple of miles south of the VA line in Corova (4x4 only access). Was anyone able to run down more details?

novaccw

imported post

I decided to conceal on my vacation at the Outer Banks in June. I just didn't want to chance any big problems...as I was there to relax. Sorry to let you all down!!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I understand novaccw's position completely. I'm in Nags Head with my extended family right now, and decided to go back to CCW with my 3AT . If I caused some kind of hassle here, I'd become the least favorite member of the family for a good little while. It just ain't worth it. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am vacationing with another family that doesn't have a problem with guns, but not everyone needs to know I carry ~24/7 away from work. I planned on CCing for the most part, just wanted to know about what everyone found with reguard to the legality of packing. I may OC on the way down when traveling, but will stay CC when with some of the crowd we are joining.

It isn't that I'm trying to hide it, there are just sometimes when discretion is better.

GlockEm

imported post

novaccw wrote:
I decided to conceal on my vacation at the Outer Banks in June. I just didn't want to chance any big problems...as I was there to relax. Sorry to let you all down!!
You didn't let anyone down! I'll probably do the same thing. Sometimes you don't mind the dicussions, looks, and occassional hassles that come with OC'ing, and sometimes (like on vacation) you don't want to deal with it.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I called the Currituck Sheriff's office just to confirm that there weren't any problems with carrying (assuming concealed) in corolla/duck/corova. The guy I spoke with verified the reprocity with VA and just cautioned about the area farther south being NPS and the requirement to notify an office if stopped.

novaccw

imported post

Thanks for understanding... that is why I love this site and the people on it... no extremists... just good logical thinkers. I also like the fact that everybody respects each other's opinions even if they don't fall in line with their own. Thanks for all the great talk everyone!!

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I always enjoy reading your words of wisdom, Dutch Uncle. I'll be going back down there this week and will do the same thing. Probably OC for the trip down and CC while there so I don't upset the Sheeple.

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I understand novaccw's position completely. I'm in Nags Head with my extended family right now, and decided to go back to CCW with my 3AT . If I caused some kind of hassle here, I'd become the least favorite member of the family for a good little while. It just ain't worth it. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

thompsongunner06

imported post

I live in OBX area,,,the only park area is the parks that are GATED and the beach at the inlet where the guys have funny hats. PM me if you need any info,,my cell is 252 202 8436,,I CC all the time!